Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 01-23-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
goosefish

nailed

About a month ago, a rather heavy thousand-pound object, gently pinched my finger against the hull of the boat. I bit my lip in pain, tears forming in my eyes. But I didn't say a word--it hurt so much I didn't want to say anything.
Anyway the thing didn't break, but as the weeks went by the nail got blacker and blacker; and now the nail is stating to come off at the base. So what do you think I do? same thing I did when I got a scab as a boy--I pick at it, the whole day long, trying my best to see if I can't speed up the process. ...........................

Maybe I should have done what people say: heat up a needle, until it glows red hot and then pierce the nail, so the pressure gets out. At the time, when it happened, the thought of doing this somehow didn't excite me that much.
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Nebe

come on over to the house and I'll stick a circlehook through the loosepart and when you least expect it I'll set the hook with my eyes closed but my brain's imagining a 60# cow at the other end that just slurped down one of my Saturday Night Special needlefish..... As the blood spurts from your finger I'll chant over and over "She's gut hooked..... wheres my club! This beauty will look great above my fireplace..."

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Thanks for sharing GF... more than we needed to know!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

*ouchie*
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
chris L

once it started to come off the pressure shouldnt have been an issue . the pain I get is removing the nail from the skin that hasnt yet hardend . I have one now just growing back . I hit it with a 20oz framing hammer full force once and 3 days later hit it again . couldnt tell I went to school for carpentry .

does hurt quite abit
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #6
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

CL...... u got a brother with the name of norm abrims. never a show gone by when old norm didn't have a black nail.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
chris L

LOL
its like a mechanic with greese under his nails and in the creases of his skin . I wish he was then I wouldnt be involved so much and the stuff would look nice . slip might be related that man can cut some wood . he made me the perfect and I mean perfect TV stand .
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Leave it and let it fall off by itself. The new nail will be back to perfect almost a year to the day from the time you wacked it...........

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:32 PM   #9
PNG

My Dad (toughest s-o-b around) would take a drill bit.............
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Bawana

And it catches on everything and hurts like hell when it gets snagged. OH YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:09 PM   #11
Caffeine fisherman

Lightbulb

Send pic.

Never enough gear.
Caffeine fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:17 PM   #12
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

When I got that fingernail blood blister, I heated up a 7/0 mustad hook bronze and stuck it right threw that sucka..acually felt good,,instant relief.. Last winter my toe nail turned black from skiing so I ripped it off with a rusty pair of needle nose plyers I fish with...That didn't feel as good but I lived ...
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:06 PM   #13
hooked

Tagger, you wear Lange boots too?

It was an annual event. Ski moguls for the first day out and get the vice grips and bottle of Tequilla 3 to 4 days later. Both big toenails would grow back just in time to repeat the process.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:57 AM   #14
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Yes as a matter of fact I do wear Lange boots...I notice I curl my toes up like you would make a fist...Both my big toe nails turn black if I go enough ...Just got normal and ski season again ...I thought it was just me ...thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #15
Backbeach Jake

Another reason not to ski..
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:22 PM   #16
CustomMarineProducts
I'm not from here

Just leave it. it will be fine. You can only relieve the pressure when it is fresh.

I'll never forget the time (I was a young 'en, we're talking ancient history here) My Boss whacked his finger with a 3# steel hammer. Someone suggested a drill to relieve the pressure. They neglected to tell him to drill it by hand.
He went and put a tiny drill bit in the drill press and well the bit grabbed hold when it came through the other side of the nail!!!
It ran his finger right up the drill and put the drill bit right out the other side of his finger!! LOL God he was such a jerk, I never liked that guy anyway..
CustomMarineProducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:09 PM   #17
goosefish

The bottom half of the nail is now gone The top half is good and black and I'd say ripe for departure. The outside edges look to still be alive, small slivers of whitness--these areas may give some pain later on, when I go and try to rip them off
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:06 PM   #18
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Soak it first for a while before u go ripping anything off .. I'm Grumpy .. must look at Penn girls ..
Old 02-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #19
Backbeach Jake

Have ys ever noticed that when ya really crush a fingernail the first thing ya gotta do is pee? And now your hand don't work
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote