Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

The Gullible Old Party

in Jan 2009, the govt Obama inherited was running $1-T budget deficit

GOP ripped him throughout his term for running up debt

when Obama handed off to Trump, deficit had been cut below $600-B, to 3.2% of GDP

Now deficits back to $1-T, 5.1% of GDP

Wonder how GDP rose and the deficit did also, could there possibly be a link?
Who’s business history resembles that?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
in Jan 2009, the govt Obama inherited was running $1-T budget deficit

GOP ripped him throughout his term for running up debt

when Obama handed off to Trump, deficit had been cut below $600-B, to 3.2% of GDP

Now deficits back to $1-T, 5.1% of GDP

Wonder how GDP rose and the deficit did also, could there possibly be a link?
Who’s business history resembles that?
The Obama administration ran a deficit above $1 trillion for three years. And the dollar was worth more then. Maybe it was also a bit easier to keep the deficit from being even much higher by depleting our military's resources and not providing the infrastructure repairs that he promised.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

Oh, is Trump having infrastructure weak again?
Pun intended
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
detbuch

Quote:
Oh, is Trump having infrastructure weak again?
Pun intended
Pun well taken. But he did spend nearly a trillion on restoring needed military resources.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

economic growth has peaked at 3.5% in two of the ten quarters of Trump’s presidency

3.5% is strong

but when Trump says it’s the best economy ever, remember: 3.5% would rank as Obama’s 7th-best quarter of growth, GWB’s 8th-best, and Clinton’s 18th-best
Old 08-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Pete F
Your life must really suck !
Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Pun well taken. But he did spend nearly a trillion on restoring needed military resources.
The budget sequestration in 2013 refers to the automatic spending cuts to United States federal government. And spending 1 trillion spent on the Military wasnt needed. Thats always been BS with republicans. Its about feeded contracts to donors and defense contractors .. never gets to the troops

Last edited by wdmso; 08-18-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
wdmso

Talking

Pa. Workers Forced To Choose Between Watching Trump, No Pay Or Using Paid Time Off

Thats Odd
Old 08-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
economic growth has peaked at 3.5% in two of the ten quarters of Trump’s presidency

3.5% is strong

but when Trump says it’s the best economy ever, remember: 3.5% would rank as Obama’s 7th-best quarter of growth, GWB’s 8th-best, and Clinton’s 18th-best
I think Trump was referring to the "economy" not to a given quarter but to the yearly average along with other factors. Then again, can't always tell what the Don means. With the exception of you and yours. You always no what he exactly means. And you're usually wrong. But that's OK. Cause you're a good guy. Unlike, of course, Trump. He's all those bad things you keep calling him.

When Trump says something he's done is the best ever, I take it with a grain of salt. But, I know . . . I know . . . I should really understand that he is a con man.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I think Trump was referring to the "economy" not to a given quarter but to the yearly average along with other factors. Then again, can't always tell what the Don means. With the exception of you and yours. You always no what he exactly means. And you're usually wrong. But that's OK. Cause you're a good guy. Unlike, of course, Trump. He's all those bad things you keep calling him.

When Trump says something he's done is the best ever, I take it with a grain of salt. But, I know . . . I know . . . I should really understand that he is a con man.
So this is true in your mind (“I THINK Trump was referring to the "economy"”)but when the facts contradict Trump, and they usually do, then it is lies or fake news, etc.

Fortunately his negative victimized rhetorical lies are getting so predictable, that everyone, other than his True Believers, are getting bored and ready to move on to someone with a positive view.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
So this is true in your mind (“I THINK Trump was referring to the "economy"”)but when the facts contradict Trump, and they usually do, then it is lies or fake news, etc.

Fortunately his negative victimized rhetorical lies are getting so predictable, that everyone, other than his True Believers, are getting bored and ready to move on to someone with a positive view.
The facts don't usually contradict Trump. You haven't pointed out all the facts. You spout some over and over that you think contradict Trump, as in the various "quarters" to refer to the economy which is fallacious. The overall average growth is more indicative of the "economy" than some cherry picked quarters.

And the fabrication of lies by him made up by you and yours are getting very predictable and boring and Trump is the one with a positive view and you and yours are the ones spouting negativity.

As usual, you got it backwards.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

3.5% is strong

Quote:

As usual when the facts conflict with Trump's statements, you deflect to something else.

Here are some more fun facts
1. GDP Growth Was Higher on Average under Obama in 2014 and 2015 Than Compared to Trump in 2017 and 2018
2. Monthly Job Growth Was Higher under Obama Than in Trump’s First Two Years
3. The Unemployment Rate Was Falling Faster under Obama in 2014 and 2015 than in Trump’s First Two Years
4. Growth in the Employment-to-Population Rate Has Slowed under Trump
5. Wage Growth Grew Sharply in 2016 and 2017—Until 2018, When It Slowed
6. The Racial Pay Gap Declined in Obama’s Final Years—It Has Widened Under Trump
7. Adult and Child Poverty Rates Have Fallen—But Much Faster under Obama
8. The Federal Deficit Is Growing Rapidly under Trump
9. Growth in Worker Productivity Rose Slowly under Both Trump and Obama—But Remains Weak under Trump
10. Despite Trump’s Massive Corporate Tax Cuts, Business Investment Isn’t Growing “Like Never Before”
11. It’s True Stocks Are at Their Highest Levels—But Stock Prices Grew Faster after the Reelections of Both Clinton and Obama
12. A new report from The Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, headquartered at California State University in San Bernardino, has found that hate crimes rose 9% in 30 major American cities in 2018. That is the steepest rise since 2015 and the total number of hate crimes has now gone up for the fifth consecutive year. That is despite overall U.S. crime rates continuing to fall across the cities included in the report.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
As usual when the facts conflict with Trump's statements, you deflect to something else.

1. GDP Growth Was Higher on Average under Obama in 2014 and 2015 Than Compared to Trump in 2017 and 2018
3. The Unemployment Rate Was Falling Faster under Obama in 2014 and 2015 than in Trump’s First Two Years
6. The Racial Pay Gap Declined in Obama’s Final Years—It Has Widened Under Trump
9. Growth in Worker Productivity Rose Slowly under Both Trump and Obama—But Remains Weak under Trump
10. Despite Trump’s Massive Corporate Tax Cuts, Business Investment Isn’t Growing “Like Never Before”
11. It’s True Stocks Are at Their Highest Levels—But Stock Prices Grew Faster after the Reelections of Both Clinton and Obama
12. A new report from The Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, headquartered at California State University in San Bernardino, has found that hate crimes rose 9% in 30 major American cities in 2018. That is the steepest rise since 2015 and the total number of hate crimes has now gone up for the fifth consecutive year. That is despite overall U.S. crime rates continuing to fall across the cities included in the report.
Most Trump supporters believe he has done more for American then any other president.. they have no proof.. they just know its True...
Old 08-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

They claim we all suffer from TDS, when they just absolutely hated Hillary, hate the idea of ANY Democrat taking the Oval Office again and it’s full blown the means justify the ends. He lies at his rallies and his base laps it up like good puppies, even making the mistake of fat shaming a guy mistaken for a protester. He always shows how classless he is at each rally and the mean, inappropriate and despicable behavior hasn’t even begun to ramp up.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 08-18-2019 at 03:11 PM..
Old 08-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump said he’d get tough on drug companies. He hasn’t. He said his tax cut would be aimed at the middle class, deliver $4,000 a year to the average American family and permanently boost business investment, pushing growth above 3%. Nope.
Keep believing Trumplicans
Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
Sea Dangles

Nice to see America first again.
Also nice to see the liberals make fools of themselves on a more consistent basis. I didn’t think it was possible. Very entertaining.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:

Those economic factoids are meaningless without further comparison. You keep reminding us that Obama inherited economic disaster and that Trump inherited a strong and booming economy. Well, if that's true, it would stand to reason that the rate of increase would be faster from a bad economy to a good one than the rate of growth from a good one to a better one. The rate of increase from one to two is 100%, but from two to three it is only 50%, and from 3 to 4 it is only 33%, and diminishing as the growth gets higher.

Racial pay gap may have widened (how much?) under Trump, but racial pay has gone up.

The federal deficit also grew rapidly under Obama, as well as under Bush, and others. All were because the Federal Government spends more money on things that are not constitutionally its domain to regulate or spend on. One of the big ticket items that Trump spent on was actually a Federal Government constitutional responsibility, the military, which Obama underspent on, partially in order to spend more on unconstitutional stuff, and partly because of political ideology. And Trump signed the big Congressional spending bill because that was the only way to get the military funding. Blaming trump for the deficit, is a bit narrow minded. Congress is responsible for spending, not the President. The Dems have control of the House.

I don't know what "like never before" is supposed to mean ("before" could be bad or good, low or high, rates--or just different). Business investment might not be "like never before," but it is happening better than the previous administration.

Growth in worker productivity is not a Presidential responsibility. You say it grew slowly under both Trump and Obama but remains weak under Trump. That sounds like a tie for something that Presidents should leave to the private sector to increase. And maybe worker productivity was already high so growth would perforce be at a low rate (see above ratio in growth between low and higher numbers).

Growing stock prices may indicate different things. Huge rises in prices could actually signal investment away from lack of business growth to investment in money markets and financial markets in general. It's not necessarily a good thing for the "economy" when money is invested that way rather than in actual business ventures. I'm not a fan of the inflated stock prices that don't seem to be directly related to business growth. It may also well be a hedge against the inflation caused by Government printing of excess money and Government spending more than it can repay.

Well if hate crimes have gone up for the fifth consecutive year, then it seems that something happened to cause that before Trump became President. A lot of people sure hate Trump and Trumplicans.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-18-2019 at 09:09 PM..
Old 08-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #18
Pete F.
Canceled

“There’s no recession coming. The pessimistas were wrong. It’s not going to happen.” — Larry Kudlow, December 2007
Old 08-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Those economic factoids are meaningless without further comparison. You keep reminding us that Obama inherited economic disaster and that Trump inherited a strong and booming economy. Well, if that's true, it would stand to reason that the rate of increase would be faster from a bad economy to a good one than the rate of growth from a good one to a better one. The rate of increase from one to two is 100%, but from two to three it is only 50%, and from 3 to 4 it is only 33%, and diminishing as the growth gets higher.
Kinda makes saying you’re the best ever silly don’t it

Racial pay gap may have widened (how much?) under Trump, but racial pay has gone up.
Black home ownership has gone down

The federal deficit also grew rapidly under Obama, as well as under Bush, and others. All were because the Federal Government spends more money on things that are not constitutionally its domain to regulate or spend on. One of the big ticket items that Trump spent on was actually a Federal Government constitutional responsibility, the military, which Obama underspent on, partially in order to spend more on unconstitutional stuff, and partly because of political ideology. And Trump signed the big Congressional spending bill because that was the only way to get the military funding. Blaming trump for the deficit, is a bit narrow minded. Congress is responsible for spending, not the President. The Dems have control of the House.
And Trumplicans have control of the Senate

I don't know what "like never before" is supposed to mean ("before" could be bad or good, low or high, rates--or just different). Business investment might not be "like never before," but it is happening better than the previous administration.
Maybe you should discuss that with Trump

Growth in worker productivity is not a Presidential responsibility. You say it grew slowly under both Trump and Obama but remains weak under Trump. That sounds like a tie for something that Presidents should leave to the private sector to increase. And maybe worker productivity was already high so growth would perforce be at a low rate (see above ratio in growth between low and higher numbers).
Womp, Womp

Growing stock prices may indicate different things. Huge rises in prices could actually signal investment away from lack of business growth to investment in money markets and financial markets in general. It's not necessarily a good thing for the "economy" when money is invested that way rather than in actual business ventures. I'm not a fan of the inflated stock prices that don't seem to be directly related to business growth. It may also well be a hedge against the inflation caused by Government printing of excess money and Government spending more than it can repay.
Gold is going up

Well if hate crimes have gone up for the fifth consecutive year, then it seems that something happened to cause that before Trump became President. A lot of people sure hate Trump and Trumplicans.
MORE under Trump

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
MORE under Trump
Your much better at cutting and pasting or quoting selected factoids, not so much when you try to say something in your own words.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Your much better at cutting and pasting or quoting selected factoids, not so much when you try to say something in your own words.
Try again

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #22
detbuch

Quote:
Try again
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
“There’s no recession coming. The pessimistas were wrong. It’s not going to happen.” — Larry Kudlow, December 2007
Quote:
And you could learn how to edit your posts so that your point is clear and not lost in your circumlocution.
Word count doesn't mean you win, unless you are getting paid by the word. Perhaps as a Trump troll, you get paid by the word.

But keep believing Trump and his cadre of temporary, sycophantic and unqualified help.

From Navarro who keeps going on TV and saying he knows the inverted yield curve (which he calls "flat") doesn't signal recession because he "wrote several books on the efficacy of the yield curve as a leading economic indicator."
If you read his books, they contradict his current statement.

To Pompeo
“The former official said that, in private, too, Pompeo is ‘among the most sycophantic and obsequious people around Trump.’ Even more bluntly, a former American ambassador told me, ‘He’s like a heat-seeking missile for Trump’s ass.’”

You also have the National security adviser John Bolton.
Most remember him for being quite possibly the only person on planet Earth still happy to claim that the Iraq War was a good idea. He will probably do it again regarding the Iran War, which he hasn’t been able to start yet.

And then you have Stephen Miller, who could as easily have been a reason for calls for gun control instead of becoming a white house advisor.
https://www.univision.com/univision-...gration-policy

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:

Word count doesn't mean you win,

WAIT....did pete just write this???
Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #25
Sea Dangles

Different rules as usual