Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #91
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
First throw at my brothers birthday party broke skin.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
you're not supposed to try to catch them
Old 08-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #92
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you're not supposed to try to catch them
Says who?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #93
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Yet you and others like you in gun control, want to blame everyone except the bad individual doing bad things.
not exactly true, i blame
the shooters, he gun is inanimate, but plays a role
in potential body count without question.
but if we all recognize the existence of bad
people, why not talk about he pros
and cons, not just he cons,
of ideas that reduce ( not eliminate) the damage that some
of the bad people can do.

i hear the pro 2a crowd just as likely to be repeating extremist theories as the gun grabbers.

talk about limiting high capacity magazines, bump stocks, and maybe only allow
guns with fingerprint recognition in the home of someone who’s mentally ill.

those proposals will save some lives. they won’t eliminate gun violence, they won’t turn us into venezuela either.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #94
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
talk about limiting high capacity magazines,

be specific...limit the capacity? or the number of them you can own?...what is the number?

bump stocks think this has been addressed and I can only think of one instance

and maybe only allow guns with fingerprint recognition in the home of someone who’s mentally ill.

right so to get or own a gun the authorities have to clear everyone in your home for mental illness...that should be easy

didn't the nuts decide a while back that it was too tough to ban guns so they thought they'd just ban bullets...or at least tax them so much that nobody could afford them...should probably give that a whirl again

Last edited by scottw; 08-11-2019 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #95
Jim in CT

Quote:
right so to get or own a gun the authorities have to clear everyone in your home for mental illness...that should be easy

didn't the nuts decide a while back that it was too tough to ban guns so they thought they'd just ban bullets...or at least tax them so much that nobody could afford them...should probably give that a whirl again
an initial
conversation doesn’t need
to be specific. How about we talk about it the way every person it work talks
rationally about proposals. i’m this case how many lives would have been saved in the true mass shootings, and whats the cost i. terms of
liberty, and is it worth the cost. is that so scary or crazy?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #96
scottw

Quote:

an initial
to be specific.

yes it does
Old 08-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #97
Jim in CT

Quote:
yes it does
never heard of spitballing, eh?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #98
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
an initial
to be specific. How about we talk about it the way every person it work talks
rationally about proposals. i’m this case how many lives would have been saved in the true mass shootings, and whats the cost i. terms of
liberty, and is it worth the cost. is that so scary or crazy?

My initial conversation is not specific. I am willing to do additional background checks and mental health screening. That is my hard line.

To get specific, I need to know how how my rights will not be infringed upon by someone that believes if I want to own a gun, I am crazy. Or that I do not agree with them then I must be crazy or unwell.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #99
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
My initial conversation is not specific. I am willing to do additional background checks and mental health screening. That is my hard line.

To get specific, I need to know how how my rights will not be infringed upon by someone that believes if I want to own a gun, I am crazy. Or that I do not agree with them then I must be crazy or unwell.
i don’t think anyone is crazy for wanting to own a gun. liz warren might really believe that, and that’s a problem. but if adam lanzas mother was required to have firearms with fingerprint recognition, the town of newton CT would
be a different place.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #100
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
i don’t think anyone is crazy for wanting to own a gun. liz warren might really believe that, and that’s a problem. but if adam lanzas mother was required to have firearms with fingerprint recognition, the town of newton CT would
be a different place.

Fingerprint recognition can fail and if you need something for self defense, really need it, it could fail you. Quick scenario, you are out working on the yard, or working out in your house, super sweaty, and someone breaks into your house and you are unable to unlock your firearm, to defend your family, because your hand is all sweaty, or a battery failed.

I would like to see something that can adress the Adam Lanzas of the world so keep it coming.

I am concerned that the Elizabeth Warrens and Kamala Harrises of the world, or their faithful, would fail normal people in order to further their gun control. This is why we need concrete and impartial systems in place to prevent normal people from being unfairly treated.

Before you say that won't happen, think of all the trivial news items that are improperly reported.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-13-2019, 03:09 AM   #101
Pete F.
Canceled

Is it worth this to you?

“My son’s first day of Kindergarten included an active shooter lockdown drill this morning.

He’s five years old and that is what he will always remember from his first day of elementary school.“
Old 08-13-2019, 04:41 AM   #102
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Is it worth this to you?

“My son’s first day of Kindergarten included an active shooter lockdown drill this morning.

He’s five years old and that is what he will always remember from his first day of elementary school.“
Boo-f u cking-hoo

tis better to shelter in place than shelter for life

Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #103
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Boo-f u cking-hoo

it would be better if it didn't have to be done at all

but what ever it takes so people can buy what ever gun they want classic
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #104
scottw

Quote:
never heard of spitballing, eh?
you need to be specific....

I'm sick of "we need common sense gun legislation" doesn't take a genius to repeat that over and over

you want to ban 100 round clips?...can I own 5 -20 round clips?

what qualifies as mental illness?

if you own guns and have kids at what point as they grow up and exhibit certain behavior do you notify the authorities to come get your guns?

Does the family of a gun owner have to come in every year or two for mental evaluations and background checks?

in order for Adam Lanza's mother to have been required to have fingerprint recognition wouldn't something have to happen to trigger requirement? how does that work?

from PBS

"Before becoming the name behind the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, Adam Lanza was known as a shy boy who was quiet, withdrawn and seemed to recoil from being touched. He played violent video games and went to shooting ranges with his mother, but hardly showed signs of dangerous behavior."
Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #105
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The real issue is existing supply already out there.... As of 2004, an estimated 75 million AK-47s worldwide.... How many AR platforms are out there? How do you convince me to give up one in the face of those numbers out there? How did the felon who killed a California Highway Patrolman last night get his hands on one? It is a slippery slope, with many avenues that need the same coverage as restricting new sales and manufacture...

I am good with more in depth background checks, especially in the area of mental health. But I do share the same concerns as JohnR regarding the human element of the ultimate decision maker....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #106
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
it would be better if it didn't have to be done at all

but what ever it takes so people can buy what ever gun they want classic
2 things you can always count on.

Talk about immigration laws and you’ll eventually be called a racist, and talk about 2a law and you’ll eventually be accused of not caring about children.

Always leads to productive dialogue

Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #107
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

I am good with more in depth background checks, especially in the area of mental health. ...
absolutely, which will result in lot's of law abiding gun owners passing mental health screenings...the nuts intent on inflicting harm...will find a way
Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #108
wdmso

Quote:
2 things you can always count on.

Talk about immigration laws and you’ll eventually be called a racist, and talk about 2a law and you’ll eventually be accused of not caring about children.

Always leads to productive dialogue
and things you can always count on is the rights willingness to ignore how they go about getting their message out (its an invasion or telling kindergarteners Boo-f u cking-hoo .) then act surprised when others respond negatively
Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #109
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
The real issue is existing supply already out there.... r....
this is bigger than MH issues which is a fraction of the issue

the majority of guns used in crimes are legally purchased but are stolen and not reported and with no digital data base near impossible to trace them back to an owner
Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #110
Sea Dangles

I don’t think he acted surprised Wayne.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #111
scottw

Quote:
Boo-f u cking-hoo

they had a drag queen reading to the kindergarteners at the library here the other day...I bet that was much more terrifying
Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #112
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I don’t think he acted surprised Wayne.
your right I should have said indignant..
Old 08-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #113
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
your right I should have said indignant..
Then you would have been correct

Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #114
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
this is bigger than MH issues which is a fraction of the issue

the majority of guns used in crimes are legally purchased but are stolen and not reported and with no digital data base near impossible to trace them back to an owner
Which is exactly why I choose not to voluntarily give up any such weapons, rendering me undergunned. But I do agree, in a perfect world, no reason to have these weapons out in our communities...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #115
Slipknot
Super Moderator

"If making things illegal stops people, then why do people continue to drink and drive, sell drugs, rape people, kill people, steal ... ?

Since all of the above are illegal, and people still do them, what makes you think that making any guns illegal will stop those that want to cause harm?"

I borrowed that but would like to know the answer from any of you who feel it is alright to infringe others' rights.

Pols wet their fingers and put them in the wind after an incident or 3 of some awful senseless violence and react instead of acting. I say if we allow them to continue to erode the constitution like they have been getting away with, then I suppose we get what we deserve and we will either be serfs or die defending our rights. It really is that simple. It is not "gun violence" it is senseless violence.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...fles-kind/amp/ I understand that statistics mean nothing to liberals but find this intriguing

ban hammers why don't you

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #116
wdmso

We recall products that hurt people, so why don't we recall assault rifles?
Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #117
Sea Dangles

Quote:
We recall products that hurt people, so why don't we recall assault rifles?
We recall things that are defective. Plain and simple. You are once again pulling something as obscure as a safety recall as your reason for banning “assault “ rifles? They seem to work fine in most instances.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #118
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
"If making things illegal stops people, then why do people continue to drink and drive, sell drugs, rape people, kill people, steal ... ?

Since all of the above are illegal, and people still do them, what makes you think that making any guns illegal will stop those that want to cause harm?"

I borrowed that but would like to know the answer from any of you who feel it is alright to infringe others' rights.

Pols wet their fingers and put them in the wind after an incident or 3 of some awful senseless violence and react instead of acting. I say if we allow them to continue to erode the constitution like they have been getting away with, then I suppose we get what we deserve and we will either be serfs or die defending our rights. It really is that simple. It is not "gun violence" it is senseless violence.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...fles-kind/amp/ I understand that statistics mean nothing to liberals but find this intriguing

ban hammers why don't you
The Gun Lobby’s interpretation of the Second Amendment is one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American People by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime. The real purpose of the Second Amendment was to ensure that state armies – the militia – would be maintained for the defense of the state. The very language of the Second Amendment refutes any argument that it was intended to guarantee every citizen an unfettered right to any kind of weapon he or she desires. – Warren Burger, Conservative Supreme Court Chief Justice

No issue with owning weapons I have issue with thinking you can have any weapon you want ..
Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #119
Sea Dangles

Who thinks they can own any weapon they want?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #120
detbuch

Quote:
The real purpose of the Second Amendment was to ensure that state armies – the militia – would be maintained for the defense of the state.

What do you mean by "real purpose"? And what do you mean by "the militia"?

Here is a selection of quotes including by those who were involved with the creation of the Second Amendment, and who actually know why they wrote it, what it's purpose is, and what is meant by "the militia." In short, it was meant to be the final, ultimate, resource of self defense, especially against the tyranny of one's own government. And "the militia" was the whole body of the people capable of bearing and using arms:

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/t...is-says-it-all

The very language of the Second Amendment refutes any argument that it was intended to guarantee every citizen an unfettered right to any kind of weapon he or she desires. – Warren Burger, Conservative Supreme Court Chief Justice

No issue with owning weapons I have issue with thinking you can have any weapon you want ..
The "very language" of the Second Amendment does not refute that "every citizen" who can bear and use arms and is capable of correctly and efficiently using them has a right to any arms that can be borne by one person.