Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Your favorite dive thread

I went to Andy's in Westport for an afternoon of frivolity 30 years ago that went unmatched for the rest of my drinking days. I wasn't driving. Andy's was upstairs over another business I think. Andy used to be a New Bedford or Fall River city councilor. He was a character.

Where is the biggest dive/joint/s*%&hole that any of you have ever been in?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
BigBo

The Mallard Club in the "Lithuanian Village" in Brockton many, many moons ago.
$0.10 draft beers and shooting pool.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Bronko

Triple O's in Southie.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
InTheHole

15 years ago, the Anchor Inn in Whitter, Alaska. A little hole in the wall in a town you could only get to by boat or train at the time. The bartender, Beverly had a jar on the bar marked "Donations for Beverly's new t$$s". I spent a week there one night .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
If that's the place I think it is, I'll second it. I used to take some classes at Massasoit CC when I was trying to decide what I wanted to be when I growed up. I'd go in between classes with a buddy and we'd order 2 beers each and throw down a buck for each round. Sometimes we never made it to our afternoon classes.

Another place I'd stumble into on occasion was Joe and Jim's in Holbrook. I don't know the real name of the place, but everyone knew it as that. I could go there when I was 19 because they didn't do much of a job checking ID's.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

let's see grew up in Lynn, shot darts for 11 years and spent 7 years in the Navy....where do I begin.

In Lynn there was a place called the Crystal Grill in Central Square that had a kitchen counter for a bar and would serve anyone.

There was the 'Lit" club (lithuanian) 85 cent beers and they would serve anyone.

There was Conti's across from the Merit Station in downtown, owner was a neighbor and used to serve us til probably 4 in the morning.....cops used to come in afterhours to drink.

There was my old Dart Hangout the Venice on the train tracks in West Lynn....you literally had to be legally pronounced Dead before they stopped serving you.

Hogans II on Franklin street across from another fine establishment..... Bennies. A good friend of mine tended bar there and that was a great last call because he would definitely pour some heavy handed drinks.

Honorable mention...."The Buke" (Buchanan), Tony's, Frank's, and The Office (right Across from the Police Station).

if you ever want a challenge try to do the "107" run...have a pop at every bar on rt. 107 from Salem to Saugus.....probably 20 bars easily...and all dives.

When my ship was up in Portland we used to hang at a place called "Ralph's" they used to let you buy a keg from them and keep it on 1 of their taps....some epic nights there.

Puerto Rico there was Papa Joe's, 4 pool tables and a strip stage that was about the size of a kitchen table. There was another place in San Juan that I can't remember the name of.......I remember 1 one of our gunner's mates got shot there one time while we were there.

South Carolina was The bar at the Best Western....used to get the barmaid to shoot pool with uis and while she was shooting we would refill our pitchers at the tap......i often wondered if she thought we were light weights because we'd be wrecked after 2 pitchers of beer

and how could I forget "Jakes" in Newburyport.....they actually had a mural on the wall of various disney characters in different sexual situations....I don't even want to try and explain what Snow White was doing. The Bartender would always pour "One for you and One for Me". We went there one night to shoot a match and one of the regulars there got killed in front of the place while we were going in. We asked them if they wanted to reschedule and they said "Nah, let's just play"

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
holy crap Bigbo, maybe I seen you there in the late eighties that was a DIVE

anyone remember the Mad Hatter/ the Channel from way back? that was a huge dive

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

The Channel, hell yeah....dinking by the trash cans while Farenheit played....they must have played there a dozen times a year

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
luds
Night Stalker

Fairhaven VFW Bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to go back!

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Slingah

....all the Quincy bars I use to frequent..great dives back in the day..
Darcy's, Hat Rack, Brannigans, Golden Bowl, Roullards, Delanys, Sullys, Tully's, the Beachcomber,...
Honorable mention for a road trip were Fathers in Allston(man that place was cheap), PizzaPub in Brockton( $1 drafts and pizzas)....and the best dive for cheap beer (Pickwick Ale) and great music was THE RAT.
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
the Channel from way back? that was a huge dive
I lived there
Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

before it was called the channel, it was the mad hatter. Wed. night's were drink and drown night = 5 bucks to enter and 25 cents for a 24 ounce beermany nights catching the last T home to Northeastern

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Where is the biggest dive/joint/s*%&hole that any of you have ever been in?
The Middle East,,, With Nigeria running a VERY close second....
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
Slingah

Quote:
before it was called the channel, it was the mad hatter. Wed. night's were drink and drown night = 5 bucks to enter and 25 cents for a 24 ounce beermany nights catching the last T home to Northeastern
I used to work near Fort Point 79-81....never went when it was the Mad Hatter...we use to do all those 5 buck enter things other places though.....
Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

The Red Lion

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
BigBo

Quote:
holy crap Bigbo, maybe I seen you there in the late eighties that was a DIVE
Nah! I was done with that scene by then. I'm talking in the '70's
I got my azz kicked real good there once! Broke a couple of bones in the fight. Went back on crutches a few days later and had my revenge on one of the perps with that crutch.
Never saw him there again.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #17
BigBo

Ohh the Red Lion. Forgot all about that place.

And Muldoons in W. Bridgewater.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Aquarius in Quincy.....mid 1980's. No cover....buck drafts all night! Crap faced on a 10 spot and all the fights you could handle! Night like that today would cost you $20 easy!

Close second.....Chet's in Weymouth! Biker bar.....I remember you had to turn sideways to get in the mens room to take a leak!

Oh! Honorable Mention for the Ranch House in Marshfield! Bounced there for a few years after I separated! $40.00 bucks a night, free drinks after shift and lots and lots of exercise! I hate MOSH Pits!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #19
Jimbo

The Tender Trap on Long Island has to be it for me. Bunch of us high school seniors decided to go there one night to see some "exotic" dancing. The entire inside of the place looked like someone's basement painted all black, smelled like the men's room in Penn Station, I think the bathroom was out back. For .50 you got about 6 oz of warm Schmidtz in a jelly jar glass that no doubt had never been washed. I guess one of the stripers was off duty and decided to borrow some money from a patron while his head was turned. All of a sudden we hear, "I hate f'ing bar theives," and turn to see this guy clock the chick. She goes down on the floor in heap, out cold, no one did a thing, she just lay there slumped on the floor he went back to his perch at the bar. We left that place like the Delta brothers leaving the Dexter Lake Club.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

T-San's on the outskirts of Fall River. It was owned by Professor Turo Tanaka, the pro wrestler. Also the clubhouse of the Sidewinders MC, a local biker gang. When I worked for Stop and Shop, the Asst. Produce Manager was the road captain for the Sidewinders, and he'd take us there after union meetings at the old Durfee HS.

The Port O'Call in Buzzards Bay is another biker dive. But I haven't been in there in years.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #21
striperman36
Old Guy

Any Portuguese club in Fall River that sells steak and eggs off of a Menu board in Portuguese.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
T-San's on the outskirts of Fall River. It was owned by Professor Turo Tanaka, the pro wrestler. Also the clubhouse of the Sidewinders MC, a local biker gang. When I worked for Stop and Shop, the Asst. Produce Manager was the road captain for the Sidewinders, and he'd take us there after union meetings at the old Durfee HS.

The Port O'Call in Buzzards Bay is another biker dive. But I haven't been in there in years.
I was never a member, but a lot of the Sidewinders frequented the same bars I did, so I used to hang with them a lot.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
fishbones

Reading about the biker bars made me think of the Lincoln in Brockton. That was a place we used to go to every so often for "warm ups". It's probably the only place where I ever really feared that I might get my a$$ beat. Bunch of mean guys who didn't like anyone they didn't know. I once saw guy asked not so nicely to leave because he "didn't belong there".

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #24
Backbeach Jake

I don't go to bars often but the Old Colony in P-town. We have a long history.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Ahhh, the lure of Dive Bars, augmented by years of throwing Darts..

Well, home above all homes would be the good ole Father's Too (now called PJ Kilroys - I was there for the, uhh, transition) on Beacon just outside of Kenmore.

Not only did I (1) imbibe there frequently, I (2) shot B then A league darts (Team Too Drunk), I also (3) worked the door there for a few years. Almost quitting when Glen Foley was buying drinks for his O'Line after beating N.D. (best way for a BC Athlete to get hammered and not get caught? Go to a BU bar). I had a good bit to do with a lot of the dart plaques up on the wall. Most of my roommates worked and/or shot darts there. Of course after closing for the night, a stop at Riley's Roast Beef for a Suicide Sandwich was in order.

Any place that would have Mr Butch call it home was a dive bar. Anyone remember Mr Butch? If you did Kenmore in the 90s, you knew Mr Butch.

Home, home town: Old Mill Cafe, East Dedham

Honorable mentions frequented:

Gerlandos - Brighton, worked there too. (new location, shot darts at old brick location)

Wallabys in Newton, not a dive bar per se but a home for Mushes - Any Moushes here?
Smaxies II

Additional Dive bars, dart related:

What TDF said about Lynn. We would hit some of those when playing City finals (we were often in city finals).

Allston/Brighton:
Silhouette
Murphys Place
Fathers First
Great Scotts (upscale for us)
Hapers Ferry - awesome blues club

Linwood in Fenway

Brookline:
Scary Anne's

Cambridge:
Bow & Arrow
C.P.S.
Joey Macs ( or was that Somerville?)

Somerville
Rosebud - eh Patrick?
Virgies

Everett
Chalet Club
Parkway Pub

Dot:
Upstairs Downstairs
Centre Village (home of the Irish Flyers)

Southie:
Peter - I'll echo Triple O's in Southy and raise you Quiet Man's Pub
Worst dive bar I can't remember the name

Malden
Honey Fitz

Holbrook
Matt's Villa

Quincy:
Dee Dees
Cagneys
Washington Tap

Hottie Patrols:
Daisey Bukes
Beacon Hill Pub
Crossroads
Back Bay Pub
Maxwell Jumps

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #26
Adam_777

Remember the old fantasies in Prov...Dive for sure.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #27
Squid kids Dad

AHHH The memories I think...
The Lit and the Mallard in Brockton
Any problem in the Lit the old bar tender just put his gun on the bar..Seemed to calm every down..I remember the .10 cent drafts
Muldoons
Hosea's
Casa Loma//East Bridgewater
And a very honorable mention//Uncle Miltys in Whitman,Along with Julians and White,s

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #28
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Mr. C's in Lowell on Thursday nights, it was quarter night I went almost every Thursday 11th and 12th grade.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #29
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_777 View Post
Remember the old fantasies in Prov...Dive for sure.
what about the Peppermint Lounge
Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #30
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Aww phuk....twelve years sober and I still can't remember names of joints. Don't want to name any for fear of leaving out ten or twenty.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote