Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Dumb

Sen. John Kerry skips town on sails tax - BostonHerald.com

I hope he's held accountable for paying the taxes now. Amazing.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
scottw

not the beautiful people
Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Raven

richies know how to avoid - i mean- save a buck or two
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
FishermanTim

I love the line by the Kerry spokesperson: "The boat was designed and purchased from a company in RI, and it's based in Newport for long-term maintenance, upkeep and charter purposes, not for tax reasons."

Yeah, and I'm married to Pamela Anderson.

Sen. Kerry is all for raising OUR taxes, but make him have to pay the same taxes (relatively speaking, since we all can't afford 7 million dollar yachts on our wives' dimes) and he once again proves exactly where his priorities are.

Gee, it's a shame that there aren't any capable, reputable, legitimate yacht dealers in THIS state, because I'm sure that they could use the business instead of "getting the business"?

Oh, and Mr. Kerry, (I didn't vote for him, so he's not MY senator)
The name is David Ortiz, not Manny Ortez (when Kerry displayed his vast knowledge of Boston sports)

To paraphrase an old baseball mantra: It's just Kerry being Kerry!
Maybe we can give Kerry the same kind of send off?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
scottw

more "shared sacrafice"....noticing a trend?...Kerry with a multi-million dollar yacht...Gore with mult-million dollar mansions, boats...Rev, Wright in an expensive gated community with a big trust fund....Obama and spouse just in-your-face lavishly pissing money away on themselves and their fellow elites....the guys that phony pander to the least among us sure live quite lavishly....and shamelessly...
I'll give Clinton credit...he does not appear to flaunt his success and wealth but I think he's spending all of his money on Ho's and is trying to be discreet....
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I dont really have a problem with this, Newport is a massive sailing mecca and thats where the boat is harbored. Now when I see the Isabel on the bay I can moon it.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
spence

I love it, you have our state lowering taxes to encourage the local economy and you guys still have to bitch about it.

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I love it, you have our state lowering taxes to encourage the local economy and you guys still have to bitch about it.

-spence
spence, Kerry doesnt represent "your state"

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
scottw

Quote:

-spence
tax cuts for the rich...apparently
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
fishbones

Quote:

-spence
Do your realize that since Kerry is a citizen of MA, he's not helping his local economy by pulling these shenanigans? You just keep helping your local economy by continuing to get your mainicures and pedicures in RI, pretty boy.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

you betcha sweet bippie you'd be bitching if he was from your state and he moored his tinker toy here.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
spence, Kerry doesnt represent "your state"
I never said he did.

I said our state was lowering taxes to encourage business.

The article clearly indicates that if he wants to officially move the boat to Nantucket he's legally required to pay under the law. By keeping it in RI he limits his access which diminishes it's value.

You guys are coming to a conclusion with limited information. It's quite plausible that the designer of the boat wants it in Newport and this was agreed to ahead of time.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 07-23-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Do your realize that since Kerry is a citizen of MA, he's not helping his local economy by pulling these shenanigans? You just keep helping your local economy by continuing to get your mainicures and pedicures in RI, pretty boy.
So is Kerry obligated to buy ALL his goods and services locally?

He probably has bought a few suits in NYC in his life, shame, and with Louis right there...

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
I never said he did.

I said our state was lowering taxes to encourage business.

You guys are coming to a conclusion with limited information. It's quite plausible that the designer of the boat wants it in Newport and this was agreed to ahead of time.

-spence
"It's quite plausible"? Now it seems that you're coming to conclusions about why the boat is in Newport. I think it's more plausible that Mr. Heinz is trying to avoid paying close to half a million dollars in taxes.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
fishbones

Quote:
So is Kerry obligated to buy ALL his goods and services locally?

He probably has bought a few suits in NYC in his life, shame, and with Louis right there...

-spence
I thought you were smarter than that, Spence. It's not about where it's bought, it's about where it's used. It's called a sales and use tax. You can buy a car in NH where there's no sales tax, but if you want to register it in the state you live, you pay the tax on it. If Mr. Heinz wants to use his boat in MA, which coincidentally is where he lives, he should register it in MA. Do you really think he's going to only use the boat out of Newport?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
scottw

Quote:
"It's quite plausible"? Now it seems that you're coming to conclusions about why the boat is in Newport. I think it's more plausible that Mr. Heinz is trying to avoid paying close to half a million dollars in taxes.

yeah, AND he bought that yacht with some other guy's hard earned wealth.....shocker
Teresa Heinz Kerry is the heiress to the Heinz fortune. She inherited her vast fortune from her late husband, Senator Henry John Heinz....
Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I hope he realized it been lame fishing the bay this year. Its going to be tough to get that boat up the river to snag pogies
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
I thought you were smarter than that, Spence. It's not about where it's bought, it's about where it's used. It's called a sales and use tax. You can buy a car in NH where there's no sales tax, but if you want to register it in the state you live, you pay the tax on it. If Mr. Heinz wants to use his boat in MA, which coincidentally is where he lives, he should register it in MA. Do you really think he's going to only use the boat out of Newport?
It looks like the boat is being used as a charter for a good part of the year, in which case being based in Newport would have many business advantages...LIKE LOWER TAXES.

Hell, this was probably written into the original purchase contract...

P.S. I'm still pretty damn smart.

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
fishbones

Quote:
It looks like the boat is being used as a charter for a good part of the year, in which case being based in Newport would have many business advantages...LIKE LOWER TAXES.

Hell, this was probably written into the original purchase contract...

P.S. I'm still pretty damn smart.

-spence
You must really be smart if you can determine that it's being used as a charter for "a good part of the year". The article mentions nothing about how much chartering the boat is doing. Or maybe it's just you making up stuff again and hoping you don't get called out on it.

I did hear he was seen at a Cape Cod store buying a sign that reads "The Poop Deck" to put on the door to one of the bathrooms on the boat. He also picked up an umbrella rig at a Cape tackle shop. Glad he's giving the business to local companies and is paying the tax for those items in his home state.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
FishermanTim

I thought that in order for you to register a vehicle / boat that you had to be a resident of the state that you were registering it in?
If that were the case, then how could "Ketchup" Kerry be able to
"reside" in both states.

I have no problem with RI and their tax law. Heck, if it bring in the business, all the better.
But we're talking about a MA senator who "claims" he is working for the residents of the state, yet instead of "leading by example" and buying locally to help our state economy, he chose to go elsewhere.

It's a case of "Do what I say, not what I do"
Personally, I think he is a worthless POS living off his wife's $$ and his connection to the old Kennedy clan.
(Can anyone name anything he has done, or initiated in the past 2-5 years that didn't COST us $$?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
You must really be smart if you can determine that it's being used as a charter for "a good part of the year". The article mentions nothing about how much chartering the boat is doing. Or maybe it's just you making up stuff again and hoping you don't get called out on it.
Given Kerry's employment he really has limited time for yachting. It makes no business sense to keep a boat like this just sitting around collecting barnacles. They might even be able to depreciate it if it made sense.

There's a big difference between Kerry berthing the yacht in RI "to avoid taxes" vs "not haveing to pay taxes as a result".

So far you've presented no evidence to the former while I have to the later.

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #22
scottw

Quote:
Given Kerry's employment he really has limited time for yachting.
-spence
"employment"????
Old 07-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #23
fishbones

Quote:
Given Kerry's employment he really has limited time for yachting. It makes no business sense to keep a boat like this just sitting around collecting barnacles. They might even be able to depreciate it if it made sense.

There's a big difference between Kerry berthing the yacht in RI "to avoid taxes" vs "not haveing to pay taxes as a result".

So far you've presented no evidence to the former while I have to the later.

-spence
Should I just send you a box of straws so you can stop desperately grasping for them? If by limited, you mean most of the spring and summer, then I guess you're right. Are you saying that he has no time to sail because he's scheduled to be working 137 days this year? I also understand that he has some business that he has to attend to during the other 228 days out of the year, but I think he can probably use his boat more than the average working stiff.

And do you think there isn't someone to keep the barnacles off it when it's sitting for a few days? Your argument is like all of your other ones. It's weak and full of your own half baked speculation.

Next time, just type what you really think instead of tryng to play devil's advocate and making yourself look silly.

It's gotten to the point that you're really just becoming boring and I'm going to have to stop paying attention to you. You've hit tartan on the lamometer.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #24
basswipe

There's no doubt Kerry is a cheap bastard...hell he's married to a Heinz!Of course he's avoiding taxes,you'd have to be a complete idiot to think he wasn't.

That being said any rich bastard that wants to moor/slip his boat in RI,why not?!More money for the maritime industry here in RI and many high paying seasonal jobs.There's a reason RI repealed the same idiotic taxes here,its made RI a paradise for rich yacht owners.

Maybe Kerry will invite Whitehouse out on Isabel and they can sail(and save!) the Bay together.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Are you saying that he has no time to sail because he's scheduled to be working 137 days this year?
No, I'm saying that I highly doubt the time Kerry spends in Nantucket justifies keeping a gigantic yacht there. If he's really as greedy as people say you'd think he'd want that boat humping 24/7.

Quote:
I also understand that he has some business that he has to attend to during the other 228 days out of the year, but I think he can probably use his boat more than the average working stiff.
I know a number of "average working stiff" types who boat pretty frequently. I'll bet you do as well...

Quote:
And do you think there isn't someone to keep the barnacles off it when it's sitting for a few days? Your argument is like all of your other ones. It's weak and full of your own half baked speculation.
If you don't intend to charter the yacht then yes, rich people do keep crews to maintain the vessel when not in use.

In this case though, there's a public statement that the yacht is to be chartered.

Quote:
Next time, just type what you really think instead of tryng to play devil's advocate and making yourself look silly.
I am simply assessing the known facts. It is you who's prejudging the situation. I'd rather look silly and be right, than, well...ok, you're probably going to look silly just about what ever your say

Quote:
It's gotten to the point that you're really just becoming boring and I'm going to have to stop paying attention to you. You've hit tartan on the lamometer.
No, not the SPACEBALLS reference

ScottW, PLEASE HELP ME>>>>!!!!!

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
scottw

Quote:
No, I'm saying that I highly doubt the time Kerry spends in Nantucket justifies keeping a gigantic yacht there. If he's really as greedy as people say you'd think he'd want that boat humping 24/7.

I know a number of "average working stiff" types who boat pretty frequently. I'll bet you do as well...

If you don't intend to charter the yacht then yes, rich people do keep crews to maintain the vessel when not in use.

In this case though, there's a public statement that the yacht is to be chartered.

I am simply assessing the known facts. It is you who's prejudging the situation. I'd rather look silly and be right, than, well...ok, you're probably going to look silly just about what ever your say

No, not the SPACEBALLS reference

ScottW, PLEASE HELP ME>>>>!!!!!

-spence
SPACEBALLS was a great movie! ...DARK HELMET....sir we've been "combing" the desert....great stuff!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #27
Raven

what Flaptail said...........
Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #28
buckman

Quote:
Given Kerry's employment he really has limited time for yachting.
-spence
That has to be the funniest line on the internet !

Well done Spence, well done
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #29
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Kerry may need to pay $500k tax on yacht

watch the video. Classic.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #30
fishbones

Quote:

I am simply assessing the known facts. It is you who's prejudging the situation. I look silly

ScottW, PLEASE HELP ME>>>>!!!!! I've come to the conclusion that I need help. I'm running out of thoughts that make no sense to try to confuse people here.!!!!!I'm lost!!!!

-spence
Hey Spence, I know I wasn't going to bother with responding to your drivel here, but I can't help myself. The boat is not a "charter boat", nor is it registered as such. You quoted a statement made by one of Kerry's spokespeople who had the facts wrong. So, in this case I guess you were the one "prejudging the situation". Maybe you should look into things before just assuming anything you read on the internet is the truth. Once again, Spence is wrong.