Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Just got back from Nova Scotia

Heck a of place. Wonderful people. fishing regs are much different. Comm fishery is very tightly regulated. Unlike anything here. They monitor every boat all the time, nothing comes off the boat unless they know about it. There is essentially no cheating. The fines are big, real big if you break a rule. You take a fish off the boat before the observer gets to your boat and you get a $60K fine.

I caught and placed sat. pop-up tags on two 750# fish. It was amazing. They are very selective of the fish they harvest. The quota is tiny and they can fill in in a couple days if they want so they chose perfect market fish...no necessary the biggest but it has to be a barrel. They use big gear, fighting chairs. I am a stand up guy but it was fun in the chair and I could never land a fish that big that fast on stand-up. I'll place a few photos/videos up when I get them from my buds. The fish come to feed on row herring on the spawning grounds and they are attracted to it like crack. They will come into 100-150' of water to get to them. There are all the half beaks, big squid and macs you want in the mix. all big bait, no shoe string bait.

I learned an awful lot about their techniques and fishery. I plan to go back again for sure.

The boat we were on was insane. 27' beam! 54' long It was like fishing on an aircraft carrier.

If you ever get the op to go you should it is a different world.

Our week was relatively slow. Some of the prior reports were insane. 7-12 fish fish/per trip for 4 days type of thing. (And I am talking big fish, all giants.)
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote