Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Liv2Fish

Favorite Kayak

I've done a bunch of searches but Kayak and favorite bring up way too many results:

I have a Wilderness Pungo that I use occasionally, mostly to get to spots to surf cast from. I'm interested in getting one to fish out of and am wondering who likes what.

I was looking at the Hobie Mirage PA 14 or 12. Anyone have any experience with how the fins hold up around the rocks? They are the heaviest on the market, do they suck to paddle if you jamb up the fins far from home?

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
jonserfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Fish View Post
I've done a bunch of searches but Kayak and favorite bring up way too many results:

I have a Wilderness Pungo that I use occasionally, mostly to get to spots to surf cast from. I'm interested in getting one to fish out of and am wondering who likes what.

I was looking at the Hobie Mirage PA 14 or 12. Anyone have any experience with how the fins hold up around the rocks? They are the heaviest on the market, do they suck to paddle if you jamb up the fins far from home?
ocean torque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE it when MY WIFE lets me fish
jonserfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
jonserfish

You can use motor to put brakes on fish heading to places you don't want to be. can also use it to hold ground in good rips. can tune the speed to whatever lure you want to troll w/ to and from plugging / eeling spots. can remove the motor and put fin in and paddle, pretty stable and tracks good too. weighs around 80lbs empty. I have a through hull transducer, lowrance elite 4 fishfinder/gps, scotty rod holders, go pro mount, milk crate, trolley anchor system (I want a sliding dash on yak traks, and portable water poof beacon.) I actually trailer it just so I don't have to keep loading and unloading battery and gear. more than welcome to try mine out sometime.

I LOVE it when MY WIFE lets me fish
jonserfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I have had a PA14 since they came out! At first I found it a bitch to move around even though I have a full size truck and put a rack system on it it was still too awkward for me to move about easily by myself.....did I mention I am 6' 5" tall and weigh a few cheeseburgers over 310??? Yeah.......a beast is what it is! So I bought a trailer for it and I am better for having done so! That said once this beast hits the water it is worth all the trouble.......its a Cadillac for sure! I do not think you save much going with the PA12??? 20 pounds in weight and 2 feet????? Not a big difference! It performs in the water like you can't believe and the fins are only as good as if you keep them from hitting rocks???? I like to fish rocky areas and you just need to be smart and careful! They are not ideal to paddle so do not screw up the fins and you will be all set! I have never had an issue! It moves through the water like an aircraft carrier! Its awesome! Feel free to PM with any questions!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
blondterror

A lot of guys alos fish out of Hobie Outbacks and Hobie Revolutions.... easier to cartop and move around and slightly faster going thru the water... I have fished from my revolution for 5 years and love it... cuts thru chop well and is comfortable but wet

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Chris is right! The Revo and Outback (my wife has the Outback) are easier to move! I am a big guy and though those models may be suitable for a guy my size.....I feel at home in the PA14! You should test them!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
blondterror

The two new PA models have the best seat available in a kayak today. It allows you to adjust the height and people say it is very comfortable.

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Glad I have the old style seat Chris! I can't picture myself getting in that new seat with the arms??? It would not be easy for me?? The old seat makes it easy to get in my yak from the side and swing my legs in! Surprised more people do not have issues with those new seats? They do not look durable or comfortable? I bet I could not fit in one of those seats?

Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
A lot of guys alos fish out of Hobie Outbacks and Hobie Revolutions.... easier to cartop and move around and slightly faster going thru the water... I have fished from my revolution for 5 years and love it... cuts thru chop well and is comfortable but wet
Everything Chris said.....? But I have the Outback and its a dry ride.

The fins do not do well on the rocks....fish them from a distance.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
Liv2Fish

Thanks Guys. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Probably makes sense to wait until I actually have time to fish.

The videos on you tube of the torque look pretty sweet. I'd imagine the torque prop has the same rock issue? Though it looks like it doesn't sit nearly as low as the fins get.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote