Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-16-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Duke41
got gas?

The Passion Of Christ

All-

I just watched a trailer for The Passion Of Christ. It was very moving and touched me at the root of my Christian being. This powerful movie is going to rock the world and change a lot of peoples lives for the better. Check it out the trailer.

http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/splash.htm

The story of the fisher of men.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Goose

I've been following this movie since late summer. I beleive this will be a "Saving Private Ryan" kinda movie. A great story(all time best seller) shown in a way to captivate christains from all walks of life. I think its great that Mel Gibson is not afraid to lay it all out there for all to see, not holding back. This movie will definantly plant alot of seeds.

Its like making a movie about walking on the moon and when everyone see's it everyone beleives it.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
Bliz

Send a message via AIM to Bliz Send a message via Yahoo to Bliz
I can't wait to see Mel's interview with Diane Sawyer tonight!

This film has to be the closest ever made to the true biblical account of what really happened.

I cannot wait to see it in the theater!

Mel Gibson needs to be applauded for his strength of conviction & for standing up before the mindset of Hollywood in making this profoundly impacting film.

I heard that he was considering putting a line up at the end of the film to calm the complaints of liberals who label Mel Gibson as "anti-semitic"

fact is, in regard to this film... this is the furthest thing from the truth.

I hope that many seeds are planted as a result of this film making masterpiece!!!

I really believe that the reaction to this film has done much to forge the faith of Mel Gibson.

As many fellow Christians today face the same criticism & persecution that he has experienced over the past year for this project.
Bliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:12 AM   #4
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

I'm interested to see it - the prepress reminds me a lot of "The Last Temptation of Christ" by Nikos Kazantzakis (man, it's been a long time since I tried to spell that cat's name - well, some of my closest friends are Greek - I did it phonetically).

Anyway, that was a good movie with Willem Dafoe as Jesus (!) - the book was excellent, it was considered blasphemy not all that long ago too - if ya get a chance to see it you should - it'll probably make you think a lot about what we grew up with in the Western world -

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 02-17-2004 at 08:18 AM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #5
goosefish

Crafty Angler---and a great soundtrack too. I think it's Peter Gabriels best album. Dense and withdrawn music, all instrumental. Searching sounds.
goosefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Anything that deals w/ the last days of Christ seems to rouse the public. I'm glad to see he took the time to try and make this as close to historical as possible.

Remeber they tried to Ban Jesus Christ Superstar when it was released because it dared to mention Jesus and a Prostitute in the same sentence.

If Mel does as good of a job on this as he did on Braveheart (one of my all-time Favorite Movies) it should be spectacular.

It even got the blessing of the pope
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Cool

Time to dust off your Aramaic - that's the language being used in the movie (with subtitles) from what I heard.

I overheard some previews of Mel Gibsons comments with Diane Sawyer. He first said 1) he's not anti-semitic (nor is he trying to be), 2) the movie is extremely violent.

Mel is trying to get Christians to take a hard look at their faith, I suppose. He's definitely putting his career at risk with this one film which may turn out to be deeply polarizing, I hope you guys have the stomach to sit through it. I'm not sure I do, in spite of my keen interest in the subject.

-WW
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Bliz

I really applaud Mel Gibson!...

And I admire his integrity in sticking to the actual script... the Scriptures themselves.

Last edited by Bliz; 02-17-2004 at 11:17 AM..
Old 02-17-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

And it Starts......

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...bson_jews_dc_3
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #10
fishweewee

Lightbulb

I'm kinda puzzled by the whole anti-semitic angle.

Let's look at this whole story philosophically.

If you think about it, Jesus would not have been able to fulfill his destiny without his Jewish antagonists.

No crucifixion = no resurrection!

What if it were the Romans who executed Jesus? I submit it really doesn't matter that Jesus' tormentors were Jews.

In the big picture, Jews were the unwitting facilitators of bringing the New Testament to light, in my humble opinion.

Oh yeah, what was it that the great country singer Kinky Friedman said? "They ain't making Jews like Jesus anymore...."

-WW
Old 02-23-2004, 04:58 AM   #11
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Hmmmm, okay, so let me get this straight. FWW and I seem to both be rowing the boat in the same direction (oops, sorry, didn't mean to say 'boat').

I usually don't get involved in religious discussions, but I got a question for ya.

As I remember it, the little plaque on top of most crucifixes reads 'INRI' which is Latin for Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews (I took 6 years of Latin in school, not like ya need it to figure that out). I mean, I don't exactly think the Jews put that up there themselves since it was done as mockery of Jesus and a swipe at the Jews as well. It was after all the Roman centurians acting under orders from their superiors who brutalized Him and then nailed Him to the cross. Am I right so far in terms of who actually committed the murder?

So I guess what I'm asking is am I missing the Zionist conspiracy thing, if that's what Gibson's movie postulates, is it because Mad Mel puts forth the theory that the Jews were directly responsible because they precipitated the events leading to His crucifixtion? Are they then the accessories or co-conspirators in the Crime and just as guilty as the murderers?

I dunno, maybe I just need to go back and reread the Good Book a little - I am a lapsed Lutheran and don't often have to use what I learned in Sunday school.

Anyway, I am anxious to see the movie and it may answer my question about what Gibson means to say. In the meanwhile, if any of you get the chance you really oughta watch Scorcese's 'Last Temptation of Christ' with Willem DaFoe as Jesus too. I'm gonna rerent it myself one of these nites when cable is lame. The movie basically has to do with His struggle being both son of man and Son of God and DaFoe is excellent in the role and it's well worth the time if you like historical movies.

Hey, WeeWee, Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys - are ya kiddin'?

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 02-23-2004 at 05:04 AM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:51 AM   #12
Bliz

Bottom line is... we're all guilty.

You are correct.

In the BIG picture...

The Jews were in fact CO-conspirators

Although the Gentile Romans were the agency used to crucify Christ, it was also Israel's preordained rejection of Him that sent Him to Calvary... it had to happen.

Pontius Pilate was used by God just as much as the counsel of conspiring Pharisees in the Sanhedrin to fulfill His plan and purpose of salvation through the cross.

Christ was the Pascal Lamb who had come to save all of mankind, it was necessary for Him to die.

Even under the Jewish system it is true that apart from the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin...

Thus the Lamb of God was provided as the one time sacrifice for all sin which met God's justice in atoning for the sins of mankind.

The old sin nature is something that is common to all of us...

This is not by any stretch of the means... an anti-semitic film.

It is meant to be a convicting film for both Jew & Gentile alike...

I cannot wait to see it in the theaters this week!

Last edited by Bliz; 02-23-2004 at 09:47 AM..
Old 02-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #13
fishweewee

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Angler
Hey, WeeWee, Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys - are ya kiddin'?
"Well a redneck nerd in a bowling shirt was a guzzlin' a Lone Star Beer...

Talking religion and politics for all the world to hear..."

Classic tune.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:04 AM   #14
Clammer

I don,t talk religion ==just one thing ==I keep hearing that its going to bring all these anti -Jewish feelings back to the surface=mabye I don,t get it/
I was raised a christian//now a Bluefisherman ////& I was talking to my wife about this movie =we were both raised catholic & both went to schools that had the nutty nuns from hell================we were never taught , or heard anything=about negative towards the Jewish faith =for any reason ///believe me I was not a kid in a bubble, the issues we had with the Jews when I was a kid were like with anyone else // it was oversome insident===safe/out/ right /wrong/
I don,t know if I can handle this movie either

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:24 AM   #15
Bliz

I'm sure that whoever sees this film is going to walk away a changed person. Jew & Gentile or Christian alike...

I have been waiting & hoping for many years that someone would invest the money & produce this Magnitude of a film, and although there have been some attempts at it, I found the attempts to be lame... at best.

I am so happy to see this come to fruition!

I plan on getting in to see it this afternoon.

What should anger people, as well as make thenm think... is that this movie portrays the most unjust event in the history of mankind.

And knowing that we are ALL guilty, and have some degree of ownership in what happened thousands of years ago on a wooden cross at Calvary, My prayer is that this film will impact the way we look at our lives in light of the fact that someone came to take the punishment that we individually deserve, because we are all fallen beings with a sinful nature.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #16
Goose

Quote:
I'm sure that whoever sees this film is going to walk away a changed person. Jew & Gentile or Christian alike...
I too agree and hope everyone see's this film. But I don't think its that easy.

I think Christain's, no matter who, are the ones who'll get the most of this film. I often think may people call them selfs christains just to be excepted in socitiy, to be excepted in the eye's of their family, they'll use the church for sacraments and think they can do better without practicing and knowing their faith.

Jews don't beleive Christ was born, their faith has always been in God and not going through Jesus first. I haven't met a bad Jew yet that practices their faith. Remember Jesus was Jewish. The key is to practice your faith no matter what it is.

Lent is one of my favorite times of year. I hope that after watching this film that Easter has more meaning then the easter bunny.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #17
Bliz

I agree with you Tony... many "on the fence" individuals who call themselves "Christians" will be profoundly impacted by this film.

However,

Most Jews do believe that Jesus lived and was a historical Character in time, but they differ as to His identity as the Son of God, because that would have made him Messiah.

Scriptures record the events where the Pharisees would pick up stones to stone Christ whenever He had made reference to Himself as the fulfillment of what was written in the Torah.

There were many Jews of Jesus' day who had made a messianic proclaimation of Christ as messiah, but were actually looking more for a political savior to raise a kingdom in order to liberate the Jews from the bondage of the Roman Government.

Judas Iscariot happened to be one of them.

However, those who had made the Messianic profession of Christ as a political savior were devastated after His death on the cross...

Their Messianic expectations of a King and kingdom were realistic, given that the Torah anticipates the full restoration of Israel as a future event.

It just wasn't time yet for that to happen. It was, and is...
yet future.

Try to imagine the dissapointment of those Jews who had followed Him.

This movie however... is going to portray Christ in a way that has not been typically seen in any other film.

It is going to shed light on Christ's humanity as well as His Diety.

It is this very element of the film that may lead many to think of Christ's mission, plan, and purpose in a different way than has been typically seen in the past.

Given all of the negative publicity this film has already been given, I think that many are going to be rethinking this issue of the Passion of the Christ in light of what really happened nearly 2000 years ago.

This is especially true in light of the fact that It was Christ's love for us that held Him to the Cross...

not the nails.

If the audience connects with the "human side" of this film, ... lives will be literally transformed.

But you are right Tony, this subject matter isn't easy for many people to confront.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:52 AM   #18
nor-easter
Old Timer

I am not the Biblical Student that I should be. A cannot quote you Chapter and Verse but, the Bible does say that the Eyes of the Jews are blind to the Christ until the Second coming and then"The scabs shall fall away and the brethern will see and understand."
He is the obedient Son of God, come to Earth to fulfill the prophecy of the old testement, to take on the Sin of the World, to be Crucified and on the third day, to rise from death and to go to Heaven and sit at the Right Hand of His Father. Those who give their lives to Him, inviting Him into their hearts and seeking Him to be their Lord and Savior will be with Him in Heaven. He will recognize us as His and speak on our behalf before His Father.
We will be with Him in Paradise for Eternity.
Through the Scriptures He directs His People to "Go and save those who do not know me" It is our mission as reborn Christians to go forth and gather the harvest for Jesus.
If you want Him to save you, He is constantly awaiting your call.
Get on your knees and seek Him, ask Jesus to come into your heart and become Lord of your life. Admit that you are a sinner and fall short of God's Glory but that through Christ, you seek Forgiveness. Pray to God and acknowledge Jesus as the true Son of God, Savior of Mankind. After you give yourself to Christ then go and seek out another Christian to whom you can Pray with and build a relationship. Read your Bible, if you do not have one contact me or other Christians and one will be provided to you. Find a Bible believing Church and go and sing Praises to God and His Son, Jesus. Amen.

Capt. Chet
nor-easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:01 AM   #19
Goose

Amen!!!
Old 02-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #20
Duke41
got gas?

Amen Chet
Old 03-01-2004, 08:00 AM   #21
Bliz

Old 03-14-2004, 02:54 AM   #22
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I just got back from the theatre.....

Incredibly POWERFUL!!.....

I was at a loss for words when I left the theatre...I was walking down the hall-way to the car and I could hear people making remarks like, "it wasn't bad"....and..."I thought the ending kinda sucked"........If you weren't humbled after seeing this movie......then for you, life will be...just a movie.
One person even said, "I think they over-did it when they were beating him".....

We read in Scriptures that He was "persecuted", do we really understand what that could have meant?

I read that this isn't the right place to discuss religion.....but is there really a wrong place to discuss religion???......

...in one word, POWERFUL!!

Last edited by bloocrab; 03-14-2004 at 02:56 AM..

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #23
Duke41
got gas?

I saw the movie last night as well. It was an awesome testament to the sacrafice that Christ made for us. I also heard some strange comments. I think that people are afraid to believe that this happended for them.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:20 AM   #24
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

I was impressed with the number of young folk last night watching this movie.....I hope they were there to refresh their memory rather then watch a violent movie. I'm FAR from old ....but there were quite a few late teens and early 20's in attendence.
I still have visions of His ripped flesh flashing thru my mind...

Duke, some will never believe it...some will say they do in words but never really do in heart & spirit. People have the right to believe in what they want, that's one of the freedoms granted to us by Him. It's a no-win situation, people say..."If there's a God, how can he allow bad things to happen?".....It was the freedom He gave us... to choose......"Why do we continue to choose to do bad things?"... should be the question we ask each other instead of trying to blame God or using that as an excuse to not believe in Him. Believing in Christ also means that you believe satan exists...could satan be the one polluting minds... helping to make those bad decisions, the one testing our faith, teasing us with the temptation to choose the wrong path?
If the "myth" of God and satan were just created as a "good & bad" comparison, something to keep people honest with a promise of a possible after-life of bliss, why not take it to the next level.....BELIEVE, and see how your look on life changes.

"What reward is there in only loving those who love you?"....

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #25
cheferson

You guys ever hear the story behind mel gibson? He used to work in a shipyard and got robbed one day, tried to defend himself and got beat to a pulp. All his bones and back were broken and his face was smeared off. He had no face, the movie the man with no face he played in was loosly based on this. People told him he should be in a freak show it was so bad. Then one day he was in praying in a church crying and a priest saw him. The priest sent him to his friend who was a plastic surgeon, who retored his face. Gibson became deeply religous and bringing out this movie was his way of saying thanks to the priest,
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #26
Goose

Chev, if that was meant to be a period on the end of the last sentence and what you said is true then Mel is a liar. Of all the interveiws I watched before the releasing of the movie, Mel being born again into to the faith was because he was an addict of everything he could grasp and only a matter of time before it kills him.

As christains the best way to show our faith and beleifes is by living by example. Everything we do has consequences, every action there's a reaction, things we didn't do we find out 10years from now we should have. I personely can look back on my stuggles in live and examine them... with out a doubt those times that I was away from the faith where the most difficult.....healthy financially and spirtualy....you've heard a lost sheep looking for his shepard. My Dad's wisdom has taught me those three is what will truly make you rich man.
When we choose to live without faith whether it be christain, jewish or what ever the faith, we have chosen to make our selfs the higher power. Its then we fall for addictions.... self medication(drugs and alcohol, excessive eating ect.).

Gee,I know not all people are going to see the film to strengthen their faith, had it been the same film with half the violence less controversy then less would see it. I think Mel did the correct thing by making to the way he wanted to(more people) in order to send the message and make this world a better place. From what I understand he and others studied crucifiction in the time of christ, when 1000's of men where crucified for their crimes, this is how they treated crimals over 2000 years ago.

Hope that we as fisherman are not floating in the current with no pfd when we decide to make our God our highest power.

Last edited by Goose; 03-16-2004 at 08:04 PM..
Old 03-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #27
Bliz

It is so refreshing to see this type of dialogue opening up!

As Bloo said so eloquently about when and where this topic is appropriate...

the real question is:

Where is this NOT appropriate?

One second after death is too late to be contemplating this most important issue about who Christ is!

Liar?...

Lunatic?...

Or Lord?...

It's up to you to decide for yourself.

Every other topic of conversation in this life is meaningless apart from knowing who Christ is, and having a personal relationship with the Father through Him.

I hope that many who see this film will pick up a Bible and begin to read the Scriptural accounts of Jesus' life, mission, plan, and purpose for giving His very life to save a fallen mankind.

The Bible says that faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the Word of God.

This means that faithful reading of the Scriptures will build faith, which when infused by the power of the Holy Spirit, will awaken the heart of the individual who seeks God and draw them into a supernatural relationship with Him as His child thus being born again... born of the Spirit of God.

Believing really is seeing!... and I hope that many will have their spiritual eyes opened as a result of this film!

True Christianity is liberating!... and life is too short to miss the real thing!

I thank God for my own salvation which took place in 1989!

Life hasn't been... nor will it ever be the same since!

I couldn't begin to tell you how amazing life has been since that time!... nor could I begin to share in this thread the things that I never imagined I would be able to see or understand apart from a relationship with the Lord!

I hope that those who saw this film will do more than marvel at it's power and depth.

I hope that if any were touched by this film, that they will probe further to know who the Lord is...

Those who search for Him will find Him when they search for Him with their whole heart...

What better a gift can one give another apart from a relationship with the Creator of all things, Who guarantees His children eternal life from the dead... in a physical body no less!...

The loss of the fear of death is one of the first things I had experienced as a born again child of the living God!...

Death has no power over those who are His.

If those out there viewing this thread have not seen this film, you need to see it!...

Where you go from there is up to you.

For those who are skeptical, feel free to PM your questions or comments, as I too was once a skeptic!...

I poured over the evidence before I made my verdict concerning the truth and accuracy of the Bible.

My faith wasn't a mindless leap into a dark chasm, but rather, it was a reasoned response to the overwhelming amount of evidence in support that the Bible is actually true!...

I am more than happy to answer anyone who asks for the reason for the hope that I have as a follower of Jesus Christ.

I'm so happy that Mel Gibson stands as a believer today!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:07 PM   #28
Goose

Watched the passion today and I only one thing to say....
Old 03-16-2004, 09:21 PM   #29
beachwalker
Below Me

nice work goose

the work of god
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:50 AM   #30
MrsSFrances
Inhaling Paint Fumes

I watched the movie....and alls I can say is WOW....I left the theatre crying...I cried through the whole movie....

My mother told me that I had to see this movie, *I am not a religous person* and my faith was falling by the wayside thats why she told me to go see it....And it opened my eyes...It was very good and very graphic, but it was the story of Christ....I still am not a religous person, but it opened my eyes.....

~Mrs F

MrsSFrances is offline   Reply With Quote