Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Jay Carney family photoshoot was fake

So a magazine called The Washingtonian did a puff piece on Jay Carney (Obama's press secretary) and his wife and 2 kids. There was a cute picture (I really thought it was cute) of Carney and his wife a a podium in their study, pretending to answer questions from their kids, who are pretending to be the press corps. Behind the Carneys are shelves and shelves full of books. Carney wants to appear smart and well-read.

Problem? It was photoshopped. Breitbart, naturally, broke the story, you can see that several of the books are photoshhopped in multiple places, and they didn't do it well, because on the right side of the screen, you can see a photoshopped image of the little boy's finger, hovering in space, over some of the books which were copied from their place on the left side. Breitbard says there were no less than 5 identical copies of War and Peace on the shelves. They must really like to read.

We need to elect people, from both parties, who are above this nonsense. We need strict term limits, and to elect legislatures who are willing to serve, and more importantly, cannot wait to get out of Washington and back to their lives.

This cracks me up. I wonder if Carney will show any shame. Doubtful, though. These people (elites from both parties) have no shame. It's amazing.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
spence

OMFG.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Jim in CT

The photoshopped photo. In the right side, second shelf from the top, notice they photoshopped in the book from the left side, with the kid's finger floating in space. Maybe they have one of the bullets on display that was fired at Hilary from the sniper attack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carney.png
Views:	243
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	58931
Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

With so much on the menu, you choose this trivial minutia to rant about?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
With so much on the menu, you choose this trivial minutia to rant about?
It's worse than that, he's clueless.

Jim, seriously. This wasn't a puff piece about Jay Carney, it was a puff piece about his wife in an Entertainment Magazine. The photos were all silly and staged and should be obviously so.

What's the best is the number of right wing sites faking outrage in an attempt to manufacture some ill will...there they go again...

I'm not sure what this thread really proves...that some will go to any lengths to discredit others...or that people really will buy anything. Perhaps it's both.

-spence
Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Redsoxticket

Reminds me of those "what's wrong with picture games"

You must be really bored.
:-)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Jim, seriously. This wasn't a puff piece about Jay Carney, it was a puff piece about his wife in an Entertainment Magazine. The photos were all silly and staged and should be obviously so.

What's the best is the number of right wing sites faking outrage in an attempt to manufacture some ill will...there they go again...

I'm not sure what this thread really proves...that some will go to any lengths to discredit others...or that people really will buy anything. Perhaps it's both.

-spence
It goes for both left and right.....not just the right
Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Raven

they shoulda hired me
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I bet that podium isn't even real wood....Those Bastards!!!!

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
"The photos were all silly and staged and should be obviously so."

Did you read the piece? Here's why I ask. When I posted the lies that Obama said about those who oppose Obamacare, you admitted you hadn't read it, but yet you concluded that the quotes were taken out of context. Here, you are concluding that it was intended to be staged.

So your pattern is that you automatically conclude (sometimes without reading the articles) that there cannot possibly be a valid reason to say anything negative about those you agree with.

The article was a puff piece, it was not satire. The point of the article was how successfully Carney's wife is with juggling family and work, and why therefore everyone should buy her new book about empowering women. Therefore, if anything, the article was trying sincerely to paint her in the most competent light possible. Finally, his wife was interviewed on one of the talk shows, and they specifically mentioned how many books were visible in the photo, and that therefore the Carneys must all be very brilliant indeed, a family we should all emulate. I didn't hear her tell us that we shouldn't take that seriously because it was staged.

Is it the end of the world? Nope. Is it funny to me? Yup.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-17-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Here's another. That's an awful lot of food for a family of 4, especially considering the fact that Carney spends so much time articulating the evils of income inequality. It's also funny, and possibly a bit revealing, that the 2 photos on the wall in the background glorify Soviet Union propaganda (you can look up the meaning of the artwork on the left). At least they removed the statue of Stalin from their kitchen.

I'm not saying Carney is a pathological liar. It's just silly, and probably indicative of some fairly inflated egos, not atypical of either political party in Washington.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carney2.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	622.3 KB
ID:	58935  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #12
buckman

That last photo is funny as hell . Thanks Jim
Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
Sea Dangles

If Jim is looking for pity then he has mine.

BTW, I would do her
Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
That last photo is funny as hell . Thanks Jim
exactly...in the spirit of "shared sacrafice" they are no doubt preparing all of that food for the line of homeless that are standing outside the door waiting to enjoy the buffet......knowing that Carney is a profligate liar who works for a profligate liar, it's safe to assume that everything in the photographs is a lie, those probably aren't even his wife and kids, plastic food, cool posters though...that a woman who probably isn't even his wife was interviewed on a talk show about a book she probably didn't even write herself and asked serious questions about laughable photos in some article in a magazine no one reads is really cause for concern about the mental health of the talk show host...was it on Jerry Springer Jim?

if Carney were a republican I suspect Jon Stewart (and probably Saturday Night Live) would have a field day with these photographs and Spence, rather than feigning indignation, would revel in the brilliant satire that would be Stewarts pointed opining.... even if only half true....
Old 04-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
if Carney were a republican I suspect Jon Stewart (and probably Saturday Night Live) would have a field day with these photographs and Spence, rather than feigning indignation, would revel in the brilliant satire that would be Stewarts pointed opining.... even if only half true....
Correct. If it was the Romney family in that second photograph, basking in the glow of affluence and incredible excess, they might wake up with their heads on fenceposts after the revolution had taken place.

There's enough food there to feed the Soviet army, which given the art in the background, might well be what the Carneys have in mind.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-17-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Here's the other thing that's semi-serious. Look at the photo of the kitchen. Acres of food, kids playing, mom in the kitchen, Dad off at work, it' a scene out of Ozzie and Harriet. And it depicts everything that the liberals either oppose, or claim is impossible.

So instead of talking about the evil one-percenters (which the Carneys clearly are), and instead of telling their base that they cannot live like the Carneys because the Koch brothers made it impossible, let's teach people to do what the Carneys did to get where they are. If you are unhappy with your economic status, it's very likely that the problem isn't Wall Street, but rather, the problem is in the mirror. The solution is hard work, good decision-making, and a stable loving family... things that the liberal wing of the Democratic party, make a career out of ridiculing.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Here' the other thing that's semi-serious.
semi-serious is an understatement, I believe you have succeed in being provoked by just about everything that was intended to provoke...
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
detbuch

Carney is the puppet who mouths the party line for public consumption. He is the messenger of the messaging. The strings are pulled and he speaks perception as reality. He and his puppet masters create the appearances necessary to maintain power. It "appears" that Republicans want to suppress the vote by wanting ID for voting. It "appears" that conservatives have a war on women if they resist paying for someone else's contraceptives. It "appears" that right wingers want to keep the poor down by opposing federal minimum wage regulation. It "appears" that Republicans want to deny health care if they oppose federally mandated insurance. And it "appears" that Democrats are really about solving joblessness with federally sponsored "job training" programs which are periodically dusted off and paraded every few years as the solution even though their impact for the past 60 years is negligible. The same for minimum wage which has more impact as a trigger for inflation and job shrinkage than the blessings it is supposed to promote.

And so on. And on, and on, and on.

There is little qualitative difference in the smart, pragmatic, "messaging" whether it is photo shopped or verbally shopped. It is "brilliant" if it "works." But it is laughable when exposed.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
If Jim is looking for pity then he has mine.

BTW, I would do her
A rare voice of reason in this thread.

-spence