Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

You can't make this stuff up!

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

CNN) -- President Obama on Wednesday will talk about new guidelines aimed at cutting down the number of earmarks in appropriations legislation, one day after the Senate passed a spending bill with nearly 9,000 earmarks, his administration said.

Obama may sign the bill into law behind closed doors rather than make a public show of it, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs

Top Democrats, including House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland, have suggested lawmakers do not appreciate being dictated to on an issue that is a congressional prerogative.

Asked last week about the administration's plan to put forth guidelines to overhaul earmarks, Hoyer said flatly, "I don't think the White House has the ability to tell us what to do."
He paused and quipped to reporters, "I hope you all got that down."

Obama's budget director made a vow Sunday that the president will bring a halt to pork-laden bills.
"[Such bills] will not happen when the president has the full legislative and appropriations process in place," Peter Orszag, director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, told CNN's "State of the Union With John King."

He argued that the White House had little choice but to support the omnibus spending bill, which it inherited from the previous administration. "

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
spence

What's so crazy about this?

You do realize we have three branches of government don't you?

The earmarks in that spending bill were put there before Obama even became President. 40% of them are from Republicans.

Sure, Obama could veto the entire thing, but it's not like he wants to shut down the government in a time when we need to be focused on the economic mess.

It sounds like Obama is going to address the earmark issue through proper reforms.

-spence
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
buckman

That's what I hear too, Spence.
However, from what I understand if the bill is not signed then the spending would be limited to last years figures. And that would be bad, how?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
However, from what I understand if the bill is not signed then the spending would be limited to last years figures. And that would be bad, how?
The government would shut down.

I think Obama's plan is to not make war with Congress at a time he needs them to pass stimulus legislation.

-spence
Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

They've already passed stimulus legislation.

But wait theres more! Pelosi is proposing ANOTHER stimulus bill. And guess what Libs! She refences yesterday's market gain as a sign the prior stimulus is WORKING!!!!
Buckman and I are "mindless drones" when we comment on Obama's plans tanking the market, but what are you called when a one day, minor gain in the market happens and you think it the stimulus? Why you're 2 heartbeats away from the presidency!

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 03-11-2009 at 12:52 PM..

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
spence

Yes, one bill...but I'm sure there are going to be legislative changes that will require Congressional approval. The regulatory structure is probably going to get pimped. There also could very likely be follow-on stimulus packages of various forms.

-spence
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
maddmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The government would shut down.

-spence
sounds good, remember when the gov shut down for a day under gingrich? the only ones who complained were the ones getting welfare checks. saved the productive people some money.

"never met a bluefish i wouldn't sell"
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
fishbones

Here's an idea. Obama has just signed what he considers an "imperfect bill" and calls for the "end of an era" of earmarks. Before Spence, Sokinwet, ES44, JohnnyD... et al get their pajamas in a knot, I'm not criticizing the President. He was pretty much strong-armed into this and had to sign it.

Why don't voters let their representatives know that these little pet projects are a waste of money. Vote them out the next time they're up for election. Those guys get let off the hook too easy almost all of the time.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Question: If 40% of the earmarks are residuals from Republicans, WHO is responsible for the other 60%? I don't remember "W" running on a platform which so clearly stated he would change the system and do away with "pork".

Another comment above talked about Obama signing the bill to avoid making war with Congress: Let's see, House clear Democratic majority, Senate Democratic majority with just enough Republicans to be a pain, and President Democratic. If there is a war doesn't this imply politics as usual, where's the change (or beef)?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
buckman

About 30 million to the Kennedy legacy.Money well spent.

Pelosi had stated that if the Omnibus bill was not signed she would send last years budget figures back for Obama to sign.