Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #31
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I have a 2012 PA-14 Bob! I also have a really bad back! I can spend hours in it no problem! No problem in the salt with small waves and its dry as a bone....almost zero splash over but I am not out in heavy seas! I fish a lot of freshwater lately.......you don't want to go in the weeds...why would you? If you did you would use the paddle and pull the drive unit! My wife has an Outback and loves it...we just upgraded her to a 2015. Can bring you for a demo but I will be gone the next couple weeks.
No rush won't pull the trigger too quickly, will want to look around and see what makes the most sense, but would love a test paddle. Maybe when you get back and you two are heading out I can meet up with you and take a look if both models are going out.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #32
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

to address you questions on the clothing side of things - when the water is under say, 60 degrees, I usually wear dry pants and a dry top. These things aren't cheap so its something to keep in mind before getting a kayak. Neoprene waders would be fine, but you want to pair them with a dry/semi-dry top of some sort (these usually run $150-400+). The idea is that if you go in, you want to stay as dry as possible to avoid hypothermia. If for some reason you do go over in 50-55 degree water you want to be prepared.

The outback and PA are super stable, but they are still small crafts and can flip if things get nasty or if you take a boat wake the wrong way, so you have to think about dressing for the water temps.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #33
Nebe

My revolution is a wee bit tippy but it hauls ass over long distances with ease. It's also light enough that I can carry it anywhere and toss it on the roof of my van easily.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #34
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
No rush won't pull the trigger too quickly, will want to look around and see what makes the most sense, but would love a test paddle. Maybe when you get back and you two are heading out I can meet up with you and take a look if both models are going out.
Better yet come fishing with me in them?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #35
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
to address you questions on the clothing side of things - when the water is under say, 60 degrees, I usually wear dry pants and a dry top. These things aren't cheap so its something to keep in mind before getting a kayak. Neoprene waders would be fine, but you want to pair them with a dry/semi-dry top of some sort (these usually run $150-400+). The idea is that if you go in, you want to stay as dry as possible to avoid hypothermia. If for some reason you do go over in 50-55 degree water you want to be prepared.

The outback and PA are super stable, but they are still small crafts and can flip if things get nasty or if you take a boat wake the wrong way, so you have to think about dressing for the water temps.
Have to be a pretty darn huge boat wake to flip my 14 over! LOL!

Old 06-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #36
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Bob another consideration with the Pro Angler is transporting it! I bought mine with the intentions of carrying it on my truck rack.......well its such a beast I immediately bought a trailer for it! Something to think about in regards to the PA's......but once they are in the water you can't beat them! Absolute blast!

Old 06-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #37
Rockport24

Quote:
Have to be a pretty darn huge boat wake to flip my 14 over! LOL!
LOL yeah I bet. I think the PA is probably the hardest to flip, but I've talked to a lot of people who say that the outback can and will flip in the right conditions and the problem with that is that it does it without a lot of warning since it has such good primary stability.

Still - it takes a LOT to flip most any fishing kayak, at least a lot more than I would be willing to go out in, but you just never know what can happen out there so better to be ready for it.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #38
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Good information and I'd love a test paddle int that PA when you are back, I think I'd be leaning towards the most stable platform I can get. Weed edges in fresh water or the edges of pad fields are good places to fish at times and mung as you know can be thick sometimes, which is why I was curious if the fins sort of self clear themselves unless it's really think.

Still curious if the steering can be set to sort of compensate for drift, wind or current; or does it get too loose after a while and need constant attention. That would of course detract from one of the biggest benefits to this design, in that you can fish while you paddle.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #39
Nebe

If weeds get in your fins, all you have to do is twist the 2 locks that hold them in place and lift up to clear the weeds.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #40
BigBo

Bob, the steering is adjustable and one of the big advantages to the Hobie Mirage Drives is that you can maintain a track line much easier than in a paddle kayak. I did find it a bit tiresome clearing weeds from the fins though. But that had a lot to do with the ponds I fished frequently when I had mine. My bad knees took me away from the Hobies unfortunately, so I've been back into a paddle kayak. Better than nothing.
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #41
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Bob I just set my rudder appropriately and I can drift the shore line quite nicely most days! Fresh or salt!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #42
Rockport24

the hobie is great for drifting because you can actually maneuver the thing while you are fishing if you need to! In a paddle yak you have to stop fishing, position yourself, and start again!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #43
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Bob another consideration with the Pro Angler is transporting it! I bought mine with the intentions of carrying it on my truck rack.......well its such a beast I immediately bought a trailer for it! Something to think about in regards to the PA's......but once they are in the water you can't beat them! Absolute blast!

Pro's for the extension rack are lest costly, no trailer issues, no mass trailer registration and simple.

Pro's for the trailer of course are many boat ramps require a trailer to even park there.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #44
BigBo

I no longer have the PA, but I do use the bed extender for my paddle yak. It works out quite nicely. Just tie a bright flag on the back to make it visible. I also put reflective striped tape on my bed extender for added visibility.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #45
Circlehook
$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
LOL yeah I bet. I think the PA is probably the hardest to flip, but I've talked to a lot of people who say that the outback can and will flip in the right conditions and the problem with that is that it does it without a lot of warning since it has such good primary stability.

Still - it takes a LOT to flip most any fishing kayak, at least a lot more than I would be willing to go out in, but you just never know what can happen out there so better to be ready for it.
The most unstable the Outback seems to get is in a following sea. It can be a bit unpredictable in a big enough wave when the fins ride up out of the water. Going into a wave, I have never had an issue.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Circlehook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #46
Rockport24

that seems to be true of the revolution as well, but both are still very stable
Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #47
Nebe

Yeah. My revo is kinda squirrelly in a following sea. The real danger is if you burry your bow into the wave in front of you as you surf down the wave behind it. That scenario is how most yakers dump their boats and gear.