Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Cool Beans

Sure is Sad........

There are 8 or 9 active threads in the political forum (past 24 hrs) while there's only 2 or 3 on this forum, which were "no fish", "it's raining" and "what I did or wanna do last weekend"...…

There used to be so many really good posts on this site concerning fishing, lures, baits, lure making, moon phases, tides and actual people fishing.

I guess as this site has aged, so has the majority of the regulars.... Everyone has become "get off my lawn" cranky old farts that sit on the porch complaining about politics....

I miss the old site where fishermen talked about fishing.

Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I don't post in the political forum. I post here but not a lot about fishing as I don't fish anymore. If the stocks recover and someone with an oz. of brains puts some realistic bag limits and size limits in place, I will fish again.

It has nothing to do with my age as I work harder and more now than ever and I'm 71. I also play golf 2 or 3 days a week. It has to do with the fact that my beloved Stripers are in real trouble.....AGAIN!

I know, I know, there are other fish. When I fished 100 nights a year, I fished for Stripers. I'm not interested in Fluke or Scup or BSB. I use to pride myself on being a Striper fisherman. Perhaps I am being myopic. That's my prerogative.

I think everyone will agree that fishing isn't what it once was. On top of the stocks in trouble, we have the seals taken over the Outer Cape, the plovers on The Back and restrictive forces closing beaches in RI and ROWS.

So there Cool Beans. That's my 2 cents.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Clammer

paul . the problem with what your saying & I agree is try telling it to the all the guys fishing BI . the commercial when it was open ...which they personally closed very quickly …………………...the charter boats from RI, MA CONN< NY . the black market boats &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& all the rec boats ………...all these boats get to slam them every day …& the next day & the next day .
I really don,t know for sure what difference it makes , but it can,t be helping to be catching these XK breaders .40, 50 & 60,s on a regular basis .
& catch and release .I question the C&R when they are caught on wire .with jigs & umbrellas ……….. when hooked .pulled thru the water while most boats keep on jigging hauled in the boat & at some time tossed back in .
again I,m no saint & I do commercially fish them & if I could I would fish BI .
But it would be nice to put it off limits & enforce it but the charters will never let that happen ……….. even thro when they arn,t killng them at the block the majority of these same guys are crying .>there ain,t no bass ……………. which is B/S ………...just that its not like fishing in a hatchery or these same guys don,t have a clue on how or were to find them

Yes it was a very difficult year to catch commercial size bass in the bay……………. it took less than a week for the 100, s of boats that have been fishing the spring run to completely disappear .
Yet there were a handful of very hard core bass fisherman that had very successful season ….. but they truly earned it ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Game fish status, look at the success FL has had and imagine how well the stocks would rebound and charter business for catch and release booming. I have targeted stripers one day all year and that was only because schoolies were busting on route to catch sea bass and one tog.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Sorry! I have been out kayak fishing and making lures!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

I used to fish to relax and take it all in. Now, you are either denied access or be prepared for a knife fight with an asylum seeking DB.
So I’ll just bobber fish a trout pond in the fall. Until those fish get targeted for sale in my local restaurants.
Sad
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Rockfish9

I don't bother posting because no one cares about fish caught, or fished for North of Boston., especially if they are caught from a boat ..for the record, it's been good, not saying it's been easy, but large fish have been present all the way to Maine, and those putting in their time are being rewarded.
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I am just out of action.... waiting to recover for the fall fishing. To OP, I couldn't agree more. Been posting same message for a while on and off. When I check New Posts and see its all Political forum, I am off to the other site.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
Guppy
User

How’s thisBeans
D8F8A3D2-5268-4D49-9E15-E558DF9A1097.jpg
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Sea Dangles

I don’t post about fishing much but I still fish a lot. Yes, it’s getting worse for stripes so I do target them often at all. I just enjoy my time on the water whether alone or with friends.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
Sea Dangles

I would love Piemma to come Albie fishing with me and Ross just for the sake of singing reels.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I don’t understand why John R doesn’t shut down that political forum.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:47 AM   #13
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I would love Piemma to come Albie fishing with me and Ross just for the sake of singing reels.
I been thinking about an alby fest..... better chance with the weather than tog me thinks....
Old 07-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #14
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
I am there Chris. Just give me a couple days notice this Fall when they arrive.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I am there Chris. Just give me a couple days notice this Fall when they arrive.
Maybe get your boss on board too!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
Cool Beans

Well, I will be out this afternoon fishing and checking my lobster pots.
My daughter and I have caught a few nice stripers, starting to get nice keeper fluke in the bay, BSB have been plentiful but mostly shorts. Oh and I've been seeing blues again in the bay. Went a couple years without any and last week we caught 4 blues while fishing for bass. It's good to see them back in the bay. On a side note we haven't been seeing many scup at all, normal years we'd catch them all the time while fluking or after BSB, I wonder why their numbers seem to be down.....
Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Maybe get your boss on board too!
Chris, I'll talk to Mike Friday.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Other things have come up and taken me in other directions. Been doing some sweet water fishing every once in awhile. Maybe make a couple of trips in the fall and see what I can do.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
RickBomba

We should nuke the political forum.

There's lots of people out fishing now...I'm not one of them.

I'll try to put stuff up when I go out from now on. Just a light recap. No boobs.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #20
wdmso

It easier fishing in the political forum Lol... actual fishing this year has been poor .. and I've been fishing 3 days a week .. even in Hilton head its slow fishing
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
I am so "in" for as much as I can! Definitely have to work up to full work weeks, so will be ready! Probably not launching mine at all if I can get enough on other people's boats (OPB) this fall.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #22
Guppy
User

Wet your whistles on this...
The big bopper today

C068C4EE-3A0E-4161-8D54-59E3E9B4717E.jpg
Old 07-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #23
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Wet your whistles on this...
The big bopper today

Attachment 66377
That’s an average day for my son Leo & he’s out every day of the week in the harbor.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #24
Sea Dangles

It looks like a striped bass, only smaller
Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 PM   #25
Nebe

Quote:
It looks like a striped bass, only smaller
You should get that looked at man.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #26
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Go Fish

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #27
bart
Red Eye Jedi

I don’t understand the “new post” thing. I’ve never once had to click on that and be directed towards the political forum. I just go to the home page and click on stripertalk and just choose what forums I want to view. Usually end up here.

As far as fishing goes, social media has really destroyed my passion for the sportt. Even when I’m not on FB and IG, you can still tell when people are posting real time reports. It’s turned into an absolute chit show out there, even in once quiet places. Just not worth the headache anymore .

I also think there’s way less fish around, at least inshore. I know where to still find them, but it’s just too much time for not much of a reward at this point.

And I agree with what was stated earlier. I’m not anti comm, I held a permit at one point. I’m more disgusted with what I see from the rec community. I’m all for game fish status at this point.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #28
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I don’t understand the “new post” thing. I’ve never once had to click on that and be directed towards the political forum. I just go to the home page and click on stripertalk and just choose what forums I want to view. Usually end up here.

As far as fishing goes, social media has really destroyed my passion for the sportt. Even when I’m not on FB and IG, you can still tell when people are posting real time reports. It’s turned into an absolute chit show out there, even in once quiet places. Just not worth the headache anymore .

I also think there’s way less fish around, at least inshore. I know where to still find them, but it’s just too much time for not much of a reward at this point.

And I agree with what was stated earlier. I’m not anti comm, I held a permit at one point. I’m more disgusted with what I see from the rec community. I’m all for game fish status at this point.
So we post day old posts about fish and friendship... post your fishing stories here and not on social media,,,, to hell with FB and other sites.... like a true fisherman never actually tell "where" you are fishing exactly but it doesn't hurt to tell members "how" you were fishing ..

You guys do realize about 70% of fishing is the BS story you tell afterwords? Have fun catch fish and help each other be better fisherman..... its not a battle or a war.. just have fun.. enjoy the water, friends, family and above all else enjoy FISHING... stop being a bunch of old farts being A holes
Old 07-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #29
rphud
GrandBob

rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #30
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
So we post day old posts about fish and friendship... post your fishing stories here and not on social media,,,, to hell with FB and other sites.... like a true fisherman never actually tell "where" you are fishing exactly but it doesn't hurt to tell members "how" you were fishing ..

You guys do realize about 70% of fishing is the BS story you tell afterwords? Have fun catch fish and help each other be better fisherman..... its not a battle or a war.. just have fun.. enjoy the water, friends, family and above all else enjoy FISHING... stop being a bunch of old farts being A holes
Dude I’m 36 years old and don’t need the lecture. I’m probably one of the most secretive people on this site. I’ll make my own decisions as far as what me makes me happy.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote