Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #61
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Secrets of RockFish9 and Slip gets loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockfish9Board1 (855 x 642).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	38421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockfish9Board2 (855 x 642).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	38422   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlipGetsLoaded (855 x 642).jpg
Views:	498
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	38423  

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #62
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Great time once again, Rockfish one of the most passionate guys I have ever met abotu plug building and willing to offer all he can to help anyone beter themselves at this addiction. Greek thanks for all the time sitting down and explaining all your techniques. Slip and the rest thanks again for organizing this. My Grandson spent all night saying "fish, fish".

Last edited by outnumbered; 02-21-2010 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Speeling

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #63
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Contest table and the big Flaptail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ContestTable (855 x 642).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	38424   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheBigFlap (855 x 642).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	38425  

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #64
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

nice job yesterday with everything. thanks! learned a lot by looking and asking questions too. a great group of craftsmen and characters make up one geat day! being new at this i can only tell you i left inspired and determined. been turning all morning! (paul, tip works fine). Big D, thanks for the "trade" that awesomely crafteed lipless swimmer will see some usage this year, at a little spot called montauk i love to fish, i can promise you that! hey, any of you guys i donated plugs too, you better swim'em or burn'em, cuz' they ain't pretty enough to hang on the wall, you got your own for that. here's to next year! thanks everyone.
jeff
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #65
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

great. nice meeting you and thanks for slaving in the kitchen and thank you for the plug

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #66
togue
Pluggin' Addict

All I can say is AWESOME!!!

Great to see so many folks as obsessed with fishing and plug building as I am, an all around good time, and it is a nice opportunity to talk with old friends and new. I always learn something new, and get fired up for the spring run!

Many thanks to BigFish, Slipknot, and all the rest of you who keep making PlugFest a high water mark on the off-season.
togue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #67
pbadad

Wow what a day. I was pooped out when I got home. I guess it didn't help missing the 195 exit and almost didn't realize between all the bs'ing about Plugfest to Jeffthe chef we were almost in Lowell. A 1 3/4 hr "detour". What a nice and informative day. Great talking plugs and trading. Nice tip from Mike @ M&D. microwaving epoxy and submerging brush first in epoxy to dissperse bubbles. Thanks to John R, Slip, Larry, Mike & family and all the others behind the scenes that made this a great day.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #68
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
Had a great time, Lots of new people. Hope everyone walked away with a little more info and tips this year. It was a little crazy for a while and I could not spend as much time with each of you as I would have liked . I am laways willing to share info all you have to do is ask.

CS
90% of the same exact product
Stimpson is Stimpson
VMC is VMC
WTP is WTP
they are the same quality
Mike..your correct in the fact that wire is wire..grommets are grommets....but when I talk about hardware as in lips..no one around can compete with ones made by salty's lure co..keeping personal feelings out of this..and personalities all around...I look for quality first ,price second...no matter who's making or selling, somethings there are just no substitute for if your looking for the best available when your putting all the time into making an item you want to be proud of...I hold no loytaly to anyone place when it comes to spending my money...whoever has what I"M looking for at the time will share in my hard earned wages.
Yes..I missed not having his hardware at the fest...and wonder why he wasn't present along with the other sponcers of sb to sell their wares to plug builders at such a gathering as this one held yesterday.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #69
Karl F

i can't quite see behind the diet coke can..
but... was clammer giving rolling lessons there Bruce??

gotta agree with CS, ya can't beat Salty's lips, first rate.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #70
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

CS that is your opinion. We sell 1,000s of lips a week and have no complaints. I have further invested $$ in vibatory tumbler & media over the past few weeks to buff the edges cleaner and for the luster of the metal. There is always room to get better whether it's adding additional Products or just helping people learn a few new tips.

As far as Salty not coming, I was surprised when he was not there also.
You will have to check with the powers that be, why he was not, it's none of my business & I'm staying out of that.

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #71
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
The powers that be were not contacted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& in regards to his coming. He most certainly would have been welcome as always.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #72
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

THe powers that be, didn't contact Mike or Scott or NJ (who hasn't replied to a few emails). I'm working round the clock and doing the best I can. If anyone wants to work for free or below minimum wage (what this pays when I have enough nuts to really look at it) let me know and I might just be happy to offload stuff.

I don't do this because I have to but because I want to. I'm sure Slip could have worked on 100 other things he wanted to do or really gone around and spend more time with everyone. Instead, he busted his buttocks trying to put together a good event.

Now I would like to see this conversation move back to what it was, a great event. No sponsor on sponsor crime, insults, or he said she said. Move it back to talking plugs.

Thankyouverrymuch

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #73
mag minnow

Thanks...

Thanks to everyone who put together Plugfest yesterday. It was my first, but I hope not my last. I had the Olympus working OT taking pics. Awesome stuff to be seen anywhere you looked. I ended up with this plug in the raffle and didn't recognize the builder's name from this site. Is the builder here on S-B?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2210393.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	38451   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210392.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	38452  
mag minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #74
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the greek View Post
Just want to say thanks to all involved for hosting such a great event. Just got back in and would turn around and drive back if there was more tomorrow. As has been said some incredible stuff being built and it just keeps getting better and more inspireing every year. Being able to just talk "shop" with some of the guys that have forgot more than I know is worth the trip alone. The different jigs by everyone that had them there were fantastic. Didn't get to meet everyone I wanted to again but there is so much going on that you can't see and do everything you want. Steve thank you for the flaptail and I will get that masturelure back in the mail to you ASAP. And thanks to the Rhody crew for the hospitality. Great bunch of people as usual.

Ted

Ted..if you get to read this..hang onto the masterlure....no need to return it....save your stamps..enjoy...fish it.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #75
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

that needle is made by Jim, Biteme, the poor guy with the plug whore following him around, Mr. quick fingers, Ernie.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #76
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

nice talking to Joe ,, good board you have with all the plugs bandsawed and differant methods of hanging hooks is well shown .. Picture tells 1000 words and it was all there ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #77
ecduzitgood
time to go

Had an awesome time, good food and good people great pluggage, what more could you ask for. A Big thanks to all involved! And a special thanks to chumbucket after winning his own plug in the raffle; and then put it right back in....too nice!
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #78
pbadad

Thanks to Joe Figliuolo for sharpening my skews and giving me a tutorial on the correct way to "skew".

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #79
saltydog

just getting in.first chance
to post, it's been said an it all true, it just
keeps getting BETTER ,BETTER, new builders an new plugs, an FANTASTIC paint jobs, I didn't get a chance to meet everyone, just not enought time, but THANK YOU ALL an see you next season, for MORE GREAT PLUG'S heres my one an only pic, I a chance to take.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chumbucket Donation.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	38453  

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #80
stripermaineiac

Hi all , Just got home a bit ago. Well when somethings good it's good. Plugfest just keeps gettin better every year. Thanks much to those of you that put so much work into puttin it all together.To all the builders damn but some of you sure do some great work.Thanks for the chance to swap with you. Hope my plugs work as good for you as they do for me. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #81
WackinEm

that was my first plugfest and wont be my last. i had a great time, and next year ill be sure to have plenty of plugs to swap and i'll have to step my game up since i cant enter the rookie category again. thanks to prof m for the awesome pencil my father got in the raffle, and big d for the spook and john r for giving me the spook since nobody claimed it. thanks to everyone who put the whole event together. nice to finally put faces to names, sks, tagger, rockfish9, and nice to catch up with a few people i hadnt seen since last season. thanks again john r and slip
WackinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #82
Big D

First off, want to thank John and all the people involved with set up !!! Had a great time. Its unbelievable the honesty and willingness to share. You made me feel like a member and hope the contribute more. I meet alot of great people, great food, unbelievable talent. I will look forward to the next, with the same excitement as spring and my first fish. Thank-you !!!!
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 AM   #83
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackinEm View Post
thanks to....john r for giving me the spook since nobody claimed it.
No, Thank You....everybody there just makes plugs....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #84
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
nice talking to Joe ,, good board you have with all the plugs bandsawed and differant methods of hanging hooks is well shown .. Picture tells 1000 words and it was all there ..
Wish we got a chance to talk a little more... things just happen too fast.... I made up that board so those that are new to the "sport" get an idea of what some of the pioneers of plug building came up with... I hope I conveyed to all that saw that display that NONE of those methods were my invention.. they were from the hard work and inovation of the men that came before (most of) us... it was a tribute of sorts.. something that I plan on adding to each year..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #85
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackinEm View Post
that was my first plugfest and wont be my last. i had a great time, and next year ill be sure to have plenty of plugs to swap and i'll have to step my game up since i cant enter the rookie category again. thanks to prof m for the awesome pencil my father got in the raffle, and big d for the spook and john r for giving me the spook since nobody claimed it. thanks to everyone who put the whole event together. nice to finally put faces to names, sks, tagger, rockfish9, and nice to catch up with a few people i hadnt seen since last season. thanks again john r and slip
That Rookie plug you made was fantastic, really. There were a lot of people stating this may be the best rookie class ever.

As for the plug, I was looking for an opportunity to get you one Hell, I could have given you half of them but I did not want my son seeing a bunch of plug goons pig piling his father

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
No, Thank You....everybody there just makes plugs....
Precisely

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #86
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Wish we got a chance to talk a little more... things just happen too fast.... I made up that board so those that are new to the "sport" get an idea of what some of the pioneers of plug building came up with... I hope I conveyed to all that saw that display that NONE of those methods were my invention.. they were from the hard work and inovation of the men that came before (most of) us... it was a tribute of sorts.. something that I plan on adding to each year..
glad i got a chance to go up to Joe's this winter and spend the day with him, a mini plugfest, not talking about our height larry, as all I got to do at plugfest was say hi. Wish work went by that fast.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #87
bennyraw

Damn I'm jealous. Hopefully next year.
bennyraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #88
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
glad i got a chance to go up to Joe's this winter and spend the day with him, a mini plugfest, not talking about our height larry, as all I got to do at plugfest was say hi. Wish work went by that fast.

Maybe before i wrap up the season, a few of us can get together again for a mini ( not our height Larry!) day of plug talk in my shop...

and your right.. wish work went by that fast...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #89
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

Sorry I missed out again this year
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #90
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Somewhere eels are rejoicing. But it doesn't appear it will get any easier for the bass.

One of Back Beach's very first........
Just double check and make sure the swivels are attached if you decide to fish with it....

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote