Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
maxum16

Just Got in to Kayaking

Hi I recently bought a 14 ft sot made my heritage yaks. I bought it used but is in great shape. I installed rod holders and now it's pretty much the same as the red fish 14 model. My question is I haven't taken it out on to the surf yet and was wondering would something like my yak be suitable to take out per say to the channel at grinnels beach in Tiverton. Also I do not have a rudder on it and was wondering what happens when you hook a really big fish and you get pulled around and you find yourself heading towards rocks or a boat?? I am new to kayak fishing so any comments would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
maxum16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Raven

drift socks are pricey....but they slow ya down when your drifting
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I don't know anything about that spot, but be careful in heavy current in any kayak..
that said, that yak should be able to handle the ocean pretty well.

As for getting towed into the rocks, it comes down to safety/landing the fish tradeoff, if that happens, I usually loosen the drag, put it in the rod holder and paddle to safety as fast as I possibly can.... sometimes you lose the fish, but that is yak fishing for you. either way, it's a big adrenline rush! If you do this, make sure your rod is leashed! I've had a fish rip the rod right out of the holder because I didn't lossen the drag enough, but I was able to land the fish because the rod was leashed.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
maxum16

Thanks Rockport for the info.....much appreciated
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
maxum16

Wow just checked out the Hobie mirage drive pro angler.....NICE....but 2500 dollars thats steep. Really nice set up and excellent layout.....it has more weight capacity than my 16 ft maxum with 50hp honda outboard. 600lbs vs. 550lbs per sticker on side panel..