Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Fathom the Hypocrisy...

Ben Stein said something that really summed it up ...

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. And now, any of those who refuse, or are unable to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Ben says some very pragmatic things

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
spence

Illegals can't get coverage period.

The only way a non citizen can get any taxpayer funded coverage is if they qualify for Medicaid which means they have to have been legally here for at least 5 years and live near poverty.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

The only way a non citizen can get any taxpayer funded coverage is if they qualify for Medicaid which means they have to have been legally here for at least 5 years and live near poverty.

What planet are you on? You have no idea what you are talking about....

Illegals walk in to a hospital in MA and say "Free Care"

and then you and I get the bill indirectly. They will not turn you away...PERIOD. Herein lies the problem.

If you want to rid the illegal immigrant problem, the solution is simple...take away the perks.

No free health care
No public education
No driving without lic and ins
No working under the table (Fine employers and give rewards to whistle blowers)
and tax money sent out of the country

Oh yeah...we have to get rid of the "anchor baby" clause too.

And they will leave on their own accord, you will not have to find and deport anyone, they will split.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 04-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: forgot anchor baby
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Nebe

^ truth
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
What planet are you on? You have no idea what you are talking about....

Illegals walk in to a hospital in MA and say "Free Care"

and then you and I get the bill indirectly.
That's not insurance as framed in the first part of the statement. Hospitals have to provide initial treatment if someone walks in but the law stops pretty much at that.

Last edited by spence; 04-22-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Still blows my mind that 270 million people have to change their health care
with Obamacare for the supposed 20 to 30 million that supposedly don't have
any.
When is Congress going to start to defund Obamacare as a way to defeat it?

" Choose Life "
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
scottw

Quote:

if you are here illeglly and pregnant and in the state that you reside in Spence....you get you choice of health plans furnished by the tax payer

Politifact-

Health care policy for undocumented pregnant women

So what do state and federal policies say about benefits for pregnant women who are in Rhode Island illegally?

First, they are eligible for health insurance under RIte Care, the state's health insurance program for low-income families, according to state officials.

And federal law dictates that they must be given a choice between providers, Alexander said. Until just a few weeks ago, those choices included Neighborhood Health Plan, UnitedHealthCare, or Blue Cross & Blue Shield. In August, Blue Cross announced it would no longer participate in the program.

Women who are pregnant are not required to declare their immigration status when enrolling in RIte Care, assuming they meet the income eligibility requirements.

The way Alexander and federal officials explain it, the rationale is this: because the child will be born in the United States, he or she will be an American citizen and therefore eligible for health benefits. Prenatal care is considered an extension of those benefits.

"It's not based on the mother, it's based on the child who will soon be a citizen. If we don't give [the mother] prenatal care, something could happen to the child," leading to even greater costs for the state, said Alexander, who was appointed by Governor Donald Carcieri, a Republican.

Even if the DHS did not offer health benefits, state law would still require hospitals to provide emergency care to anyone, Alexander added. The mother's health benefits end three months after delivery.

Palumbo is therefore correct on what he says about free health care.

there's quite a bit of irony here....

also

It's important to note that, as with healthcare benefits, once the child is born, as a citizen, he or she will be eligible for welfare benefits, which would presumably be delivered to the mother on behalf of the child.

Food stamps policy

The same is true for the federal Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, more commonly known as the food stamp program.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

"It's not based on the mother, it's based on the child who will soon be a citizen. If we don't give [the mother] prenatal care, something could happen to the child,"

there's quite a bit of irony here....
Is the irony that the state is concerned for the unborn "child" and is willing to look after the mother's health to protect the "child" who will soon be a U.S. citizen-- but it is not concerned if the mother considers the "child" to be a not-yet human but merely a fetus, and it is not concerned that the something that could happen to the "child" is an abortion?

Last edited by detbuch; 04-22-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
Raven

Fathom Further

That all these Doctors are nothing more
than go between prescription writers
for pharmaceutical companies whose
lobbyists have infiltrated our Government.

THERE IS A wide SPREAD DRUG PROBLEM

IN THE usa making everyone take PILLS

changing one's food choices solves most everything and
there is other alternatives to consider instead of worrying
about drug interactions or side effects.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
That's not insurance as framed in the first part of the statement. Hospitals have to provide initial treatment if someone walks in but the law stops pretty much at that.
This kills me...THERE ARE STILL COSTS INVOLVED! I have seen people go to the ER just for a pregnancy test for the sole reason of not spending a few $ on a kit they can get in the pharmacy. The ER HAS to provide it. I have seen illegals get worked up in the ER for a headache. OH and the ER has to provide interpreters as well... This entire system is phucked

And...they simply just keep going back. For free, time and time again, and they bring there visiting relatives who have some real costly problems that costs many thousands of $ and the "system" has to absorb it. This can not go on. It is just like do-doc mortgages...eventually, the system will collapse. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

There is a real cost to this and it it passed over to those that are citizens and paying into the system. Despite what you say, the government denies any cost shifting, yet that is exactly what is going on.

They need to deny care to those that have no ability to pay and are not legal citizens or simply charge them on the spot and provide them a receipt so they can get reimbursed under their own countrys' plan. We can not absorb these health costs.

In many areas good doctors who are in demand are not excepting ANY health insurance anymore, none. They charge you on your CC or you pay on the spot and they give you a receipt on the spot. Then if you have coverage, you can submit this to your plan. They are out of the loop. Now the end user (you) see what a PIA the system is. I know a few of these doctors doing this and in fact I use to take my kids to one of them when I lived in VA. He said he was able to lower his costs significantly and thus the cost he charges me. He was able to lay off 6 office staff who spend their day fighting with the insurance companies to only collect a 50-80% of his bill. He is still fully booked up.

We don't have a health care system problem. We have an insurance problem. Lets start there. You know, when the bomb went off in Boston all I heard the news talk about was that they people in the hospitals were "getting the best care in the world". Where is the problem? It is not with health care...it is paying for it.

There is still a bigger picture. Everyone wants the "best" health care they can get. The demand it. They insist on regulations for doctors that most of the population can never achieve to. The education, the continuous testing, the licensing, the insurance goes far beyond what most people can imagine. The insurance alone can cost hundreds of thousands per year! Not to mention they want cutting edge drug and equipment as well as state of the art new development from research. Oh, and they want this all for free. For everyone. When was the last time you heard that they were increasing the fees to doctors and hospitals? In the end...you get what you pay for.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
That all these Doctors are nothing more
than go between prescription writers
for pharmaceutical companies whose
lobbyists have infiltrated our Government.

THERE IS A wide SPREAD DRUG PROBLEM

IN THE usa making everyone take PILLS

changing one's food choices solves most everything and
there is other alternatives to consider instead of worrying
about drug interactions or side effects.

The reason why this appears to be the case is that Americans find it easier to take a pill than change their lifestyle.

Most people in this country are indescribably overweight and this alone drives many of the bad health issues as well as complications.
If they were at their proper weight, many of the health problems would go away. But they continue to stuff their faces and eat poorly (not exercise, drink and smoke, etc). So the only other alternative is to take medications... or die. Don't blame the doctors on this, they are just trying to help a bad situation.

Just sit in a restaurant and watch what people eat sometime

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 04-23-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:

Quote:
As someone that worked in emergency medicine for 5 years, here's the problem with your statements...

The illegals use the hospitals as primary care physicians. Illegal and have a cold, go to the ER for an antibiotic. Illegal and broke your arm, go to the ER for a cast and then back to the ER to have it removed. "Hospitals cannot refuse to treat, regardless of ability to pay." - it's posted in some form or another within the ER of just about every hospital in the country.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:

Wrong as always.

One of the biggest ways that illegals drain money from taxpayers is getting medical services at the emergency room, where they cannot be turned away.

Spence, if you can't be rational, can't you at least be honest? Is that too much to ask?

L.A. Emergency Rooms Full of Illegal Immigrants | Fox News

"About 2 million undocumented aliens in Los Angeles County alone are crowding emergency rooms because they can't afford to see a doctor"

Want to recant your bullsh*t, Spence?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
You didn't say anything about "insurance"...you said illegals could not get "coverage", and that is an absurdly wrong-headed statement.

They are "covered" if they go to the emergency room. The taxpayers cover them.

Hpspitals' treatment absolutely does not stop at "initial treatment". Are you literally making this up as you go along?