Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #61
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Being a clean cut sheltered guy can anyone tell me all of the negatives/cons with Ganja ? I have been reading alot online today on the subject but there doesn't seem to be many negatives/cons to it. Not addictive, not even one single death due to it? Why not make it legal and tax the crap outta it...

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:30 PM   #62

I say absolutely no! To legalize any recreational drug under the banner of pain relief is absurb.
179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #63
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 179
I say absolutely no! To legalize any recreational drug under the banner of pain relief is absurb.
But to legalize a recreational drug under the banner of recreational use is OK ???

Remember Alcohol used to be Illegal

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #64
Big Vern
Hooked

By your logic 179, why are cigarettes and booze legal?
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:58 PM   #65
fishsmith
DDG-51

Legalize it.
Then sell it at Wal-Mart with dopey looking smiley faces.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #66

Just my opinion guys. If I recall I am entitled to it
Old 12-01-2004, 04:19 PM   #67
cheferson

The Emperor Wears No Clothes

Heres a link to The book The Emperor Wears No Clothes by Jack herer. Its got the full book available to read on line for free. He lays it all out on the floor from the beginning and backs every thing up 100%. jackherer.com

Jack will even give anyone who can prove him wrong $100,000, no one has yet.

179 ,do you think heroin or cocaine have any medical value??
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #68

"Legalize it, and I will advertise it..." seriously, not even one case of anyone dieing from smokin the herb..crazy huh?

Tell that to two of my best friends from HS who died at the ages of 16 and 17 because they were stoned and wrapped their car around a telephone pole. Or maybe tell that to another friend in HS who ran a stoplight while he was stoned hitting a car broadside killing an 11 yro girl.... Yeah pot doesn't harm anyone...what absolute BS.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #69
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

100k dats alot of pluggage...

Old 12-01-2004, 04:29 PM   #70
Big Vern
Hooked

179...teenage driving deaths are mostly due to driving inepeience. I would lay even money that they may have been drinking as well in either case.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #71
Big Vern
Hooked

Also...pot didn't harm anyone in either case. Driving a car did.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #72
chris L

If you are interested in the non-medical use of drugs in this country, the time to go back to is 1900, and in some ways the most important thing I am going to say to you guys I will say first. That is, that in 1900 there were far more people addicted to drugs in this country than there are today. Depending upon whose judgment, or whose assessment, you accept there were between two and five percent of the entire adult population of the United States addicted to drugs in 1900. mostly to morphine and look today it is a widly used pain killer . weed could do the same to those that need the use of weed for pain or being able to eat from kemo treatments .

anyone against it may never had anyone really sick from cancer . It helps make life bearable for the patient .

as far as it being leagal for rec use . NO it would raise the price to high due to taxation , and the quality might suffer .

remember the question was for medical use !
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #73
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Corleone Also...pot didn't harm anyone in either case. Driving a car did.
exactly......179 I also lost 5 very very close friends in high school, so I understand your feelings, but to attribute it, or even blame it on pot, that doesn't cut it to me. Driving inexperiance, poor judgement and lack of respect for a lethal weapon (car)...all can be lumped into that...Just MHO.......been there, done that.........

Old 12-01-2004, 05:10 PM   #74
Nebe

This thread was started as a question of wether or not pot should be legalized for medical purposes.... There is no question that it should be legalized. Cocaine is used for medical purposes, so where is the logic that pot shouldnt? Its this type of thinking that blows my mind, but I've come to learn that I shouldnt be surprised, i mean look at whose in the oval office.
welcome to Dumb#^&#^&#^&#^&istan
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #75
chris L

why pick on stan he doesnt even smoke pot
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #76

Guys I blame the deaths I mentioned above solely on the poor judgement of the drivers who were impaired by the pot. They were stoned and not drunk when the accidents happened, the driver who hit the car broadside was arrested for possesion. My point is these guys chose to get into their vehicles and drive while they were high resulting in 3 deaths and countless ruined lifes for their families and friends. Was the high worth it?

Next time you decide to light up and hit the road think about the stories I just told you. My fear is once it is legalized for medical use what's next? Would you be happy with it being sold at cumberland farms? It's bad enough we have to deal with the endless drunks on the road we don't need another large percentage of the population out there driving stoned because it's legal....

If you want to get high, do it, enjoy it, smoke till your brain dead, just stay the hell off the roads.

Last edited by 179; 12-01-2004 at 07:31 PM..
Old 12-01-2004, 07:17 PM   #77
Nebe

good point 179.

this situation corresponds with gun control... its not the guns that kill people, its the people who used poor judgement while using those guns.

as for pot, I cant speak for everyone else here but I wont touch the stuff, but if it will help someone, why not...
Old 12-02-2004, 12:03 AM   #78
Clammer

good thing you can,t speak for someone else here

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:46 AM   #79
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by Clammer
good thing you can,t speak for someone else here
I will speak for you....... "^$%@#%&$#&%$# booofish!"
Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #80
Skip N

"Skip N...you need to get a grip. Just go ahead and make some more generalizations while you're at it. You can just as easily say most beer drinkers are losers"

Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #81
outfished

I was going to say something but I forgot what I was going to say
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:45 AM   #82
DRMatus

Prescription drugs are tightly regulated and if you get caught abusing prescription drugs you go to jail. The same would apply to marijuana if it were approved for medicinal use and rightly so. I'm not current on the debate but I don't really know why we need medical marijuana. What gap would it fill? Despite valild arguments for medical use, it seems like the argument quickly becomes a front for those who would want it legalized for recreational use, as we've seen in this thread.
To legalize it for recreational use is to condone its use and we would have a rise in users. How hard is it to get cigarettes when someone can obtain them and transport them legally without fear of prosecution and then distribute them to minors? Alcohol is dangerous, I got that. But lets work on alcohol instead of introducing a new problem.
DRMatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #83
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Yes for medical use only. Some people actually do use it to counteract sides of medication. Now in my opinion it should still be illegal for non medical use.

Excessive use of pot can and DOES create imbalances in the brain that leads to other issues. I've seen this firsthand.

Smoking pot can and does often lead to the use of other illegal drugs. THAT I can say first hand. I've quit a lot of stuff and the only major monkey on my back is butts and I'm trying to lick that.

Because Alcohol is legal, pot should be too? Like the doc said above, work on the alcohol problem instead of introducing a new one. I come from a long line of alcoholics and have been pretty good about keeping it out of my son's life. I can't and won't do to him and my immediate family what was done to generations of my family. This "familt trait" stops here and I don't want another legal choice to be available too.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:30 AM   #84
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

1) Legalize, or at least decriminalize possession of everything. Not just pot and not just for medicinal purposes.

2) Treat drug abuse as a health problem.

3) If legalized, tax and regulate manufacture, sales, advertising and marketing, distribution, and possession of recreational drugs.

4) Clearly establish standards and safeguards for legitimate recreational drug distribution channels.

5) Impose a mandatory death penalty for anyone intentionally and willfully operating outside of #4.
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:35 AM   #85
Moose Nuckle
Team Sea Monkey

I can see the Tax's on this being higher than Cigarettes.

" You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it a Sea Monkey."
Moose Nuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #86
cheferson

Definetly gotta legalize it for medical use. I dont think anyone can actually say the on going war on drugs has done a bit off good, from marijuana to heroin. They need to change their stance on this, more education and treatment. Drugs being illegal makes a black market, profits for criminals, criminals with guns, murders. If they cant keep drugs out of high security prisons how do they ever expect to keep them out of people homes in a free society? The price of hard drugs has dropped , while the purity has soared! 1981 1 gram of heroin $329, IN 2003 IT WAS $60. Cokes prices have dropped 14% in just the last year, lowest prices in 20 years. Hard drugs are now more readily available in higher purity then ever before! WHy waste another 3 billion in columbia??? Why not take that 3 billion and start aggresive treatment and education programs?? I toatlly agree with everything fishweewee has said. Just because crack or heroin was legal doesnt mean , people would run out and start shooting up and smoking.
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote