Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-14-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

TV blew up

Friday, settling in for a night of DVD's with the spouse in PJ's...about 15 minutes before the end of the movie FooP! POW!! ... end of the tube. forever.

There must have been a short or something in the gun cus' it is #$%^&*(#$%^&* up. It was a 35" mits but it is toast now. Had it for a while, no complaints, more then got my $ from it.

Did some research on todays units and had to replace it while out and about on Sunday. Walked into Circuit City on the way back from the Worcester show and made the fastest sale the sales guy ever had.
Hi, can I help you sir....
Uh, yeah, I see from the internet that you have the Sony..model.... in stock.
Let me check....yes we do.
Fine I'll take it.
OK
I had it loaded in my truck and drove away...all in about 12 minutes.

My wife said "Guys are amazing, you don't need to walk around the store and look at all the models?"
Nope, I knew exacty what I wanted and picked this store cause it was on my way and they had it in stock, no need to look at anything else or waste time in there. (although that store had a ton of great stuff in there)

Just hooked up the high def DVR ...very sweet. NESN and ESPN2 in high def now I will never miss another fishing channel again
80 hours of backed up fishing sw shows.

One thing about High Def that no one tells you.....The quality of the regular broadcast (non high def) is not quite as good as it was with the regular box. It is good but It is a little better with the non high def box. The high def and movie channels are awesome. I was just watching golf and it is amazing. I hope I can get back to work now
The whole high def thing is not exactly plug and play..you have the complex connections between the TV and the BOX to your home entertainment sys. Everything wants to be in control and there are numerous modes of high def and screen modes and remotes that all want to be the boss. The permutations are insane. Frankly I think they need to work it all out and come up with a single ON button that deals with it all. That said, once you have it set up ...the picture is breathtaking in 1080 mode.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 02-14-2005 at 12:26 PM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
BEETLE

Hey SM, how old was that TV ? I got a 35 Mitsu. as well, wondered what the life expectancy is.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Big Vern
Hooked

I bought a Sony HDTV about three weeks ago, and I can't get enough of the HDTV. It's all I watch now.

I imagine we ended up with the same TV. All reviews pointed in one direction and it wasn't much of a decision.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Mr. Sandman

about 13 years I think...when it goes, you will know it.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Be thankful, notthing good on the tube anyway.
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
MakoMike

You should have setting on the TV to upgrade regular TV (NON-hi Def) broadcasts, with that switched on the regular broadcasts will look better than ever.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
RickBomba

Yeah,
After I bought my samsung dlp 52" with all the hi-def goodies, I hate watching regular broadcasts. Dvd's, sports, etc. are awesome. The resolution on it's so good that even the regular broadcasts look great.
Having some warranty work done on it right now, and hopefully it will be even better.
Best part is that work paid for half of the whole package!!!
Later,
Rick

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #8
Mr. Sandman

Has anyone tried to connect a DVR with a computer so you can burn a DVD of a show or Movie?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #9
zacs
D'oh

if you get an answer to that one Jim, let me know. A friend and I have been trying to figgure it out for a couple of weeks now.

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
Mr. Sandman

I know of a fellow that build his own computer system for home entertainment..it has massive DVR storage Plus great gaming on his bigscreen as well as other goodies. He can easily copy data from the DVR disk to DVD but I was just wondering if there was away to just run a cable of some kind (coax, usb, ect) to the DVR and tap into it that way without building a dedicated machine to do this. Too bad you cant put these DVRs on a network and simply ftp the data off the disk.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #11
zacs
D'oh

my friends DVR has both a nic and a usb port. I think its there so it can connect to a network to get program information. We just can't figure out how to access the hard drive on the DVR. And we are not even sure what format the video is saved as on the DVR.
I have a dedicated box under my tv that is networked wireslessly into my home array. It is a thing of beauty. Wireless access to 130 gigs of MP3s, SHNs, and FLAC piped right into the stereo. Wireless access to internet/email on the bigscreen. Wireless access to 100 gigs of video. Most people don't understand why one would want 4 computers in their house. I don't know how you would live without it.
-Zac

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
MakoMike

There are DVRs that hook right up to either a TV or computer and lots of computers have DVD drives. The only thing that makes copying difficult is the copyprotection on the commercial DVDs. But there is software around to fix that.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote