Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
FishermanTim

I love this train of thought....

The mayor is seeking a ban on motor scooters in a bid to stop the shootings in the city?
That's like banning the use of 5 gallon buckets to stop poaching....It just won't do any good!

So I guess Menino figures that if the gunmen have to run away from a shooting, that they will definitely get caught by the police.

Yeah, that makes me feel a whole lot safer, knowing that even though the gunmen, using all types of illegally obtained firearms, won't have the luxury of a scooter for their escape.
What a moronic suggestion!

If the city and state hadn't pissed away so much money on political wet-dream projects over the past 20 years, they wouldn't have had to cut the existing police staff to its current level.

I see stories like this and I am speachless. (Now if only "mumbles" would be speachless too?)
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
JohnnyD

How in the hell does he keep getting re-elected?!?
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Raven

Unhappy

he's like one of the three stooges
Joe
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Have you ever looked into how many people work for the city, either directly or indirectly?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Yup and it's required that you live in Boston if you work for the city!

this motorcylce thing is the just ridiculous....
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
It's real simple---if you have a -D after your name, you are guaranteed to win any general election in a city with a population greater then 50,000.

So, to unseat an incumbent -D, you have to get enough signatures to qualify to run in a primary, raise enough money to buck a political machine on your own, and then win an election where maybe 10% of the electorate bothers to vote, and most of that 10% are machine hacks, and people beholden to the incumbent for jobs.

So, in other words, Mumbles is Mayor for Life.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
It's real simple---if you have a -D after your name, you are guaranteed to win any general election in a city with a population greater then 50,000.

So, to unseat an incumbent -D, you have to get enough signatures to qualify to run in a primary, raise enough money to buck a political machine on your own, and then win an election where maybe 10% of the electorate bothers to vote, and most of that 10% are machine hacks, and people beholden to the incumbent for jobs.

So, in other words, Mumbles is Mayor for Life.
So it would seem that Mayor Mumbles has a vested interest in Boston's failing school system as it it ensures that people are ignorant and with no skills to become less ignorant in the future. Brilliant!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
Raven

With a mayor like this

we REALLY need BATMAN
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
FishermanTim

I liked the picture they had in the Herald yesterday when they started "rounding up" some of these scooters. They also had a pic of the "on-lookers", but I would be willing to bet that more than a few of these guys were owners of one of these scooters.

Is there any other usekess, mundane cause that "mumbles" can parade around in the name of good PR?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
JohnnyD

It enrages me that all political positions don't have term limits. With term limits, it'd help eliminate the "good ol' boys" mentality that corrupts every new politician. I'd guess Scott Brown is a perfect example of this. There have been a number of times that he's voted against the Republican base, but I wonder how many more times he *wanted* to vote one way but was influenced to vote with the group.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote