Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Wood redfins, beginning

Had some time today and started to shape the wood redfin handcarves.

Basically followed the Greeks how to, small pilot hole for the eyes, cut lip slot, then trace first pattern, then do secon pattern on the top and cut again.

So cool to see a block of wood take shape with every pass.

Got 18 done as all that was all the lighter wood I had, everything else is maple/birch or hardwoods.

Now I need the soft jaws for the vise and can start phase 2.

Also I need to fine tune the band saw, I'm not a wood worker and have limited experience with them, too much side to side wandering of the blade. I just went slow and steady.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Hookedagain

Look great Chris. I found some Red Cedar 2x4's in the shop, will that work for you?
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Look great Chris. I found some Red Cedar 2x4's in the shop, will that work for you?
Thanks man, Yeah that will work, that's what I used today along with some really nice wood from johnny ducketts. Stop by anytime.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Ryan560

anyone know where you can get the rubber jaws besides ordering them online? I made a set of rubber jaws out of rubber shelf liner last year but it didn't really grip verywell and left smudges on the wood..
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
scone

ryan, picked up a set at lowes a few years ago for my first go round with hand carves.
looks like you're off to a fine start Chris.
scone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Ryan560

Thanks just picked up a set there, and was able to use a harbor freight 20% off coupon at lowes. Sorry to hijack your thread Chris
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
JMAC_kerel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
Now I need the soft jaws for the vise and can start phase 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan560 View Post
anyone know where you can get the rubber jaws besides ordering them online? I made a set of rubber jaws out of rubber shelf liner last year but it didn't really grip verywell and left smudges on the wood..
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
picked up a set at lowes a few years ago for my first go round with hand carves.
I also picked up my set of soft vice pads at lowes a while back and while they are great at what they are intended for, you do have to be careful when gripping the softer woods as they will leave fairly significant indentations if you close the vise to tightly. (on surfaces you have just sanded to final shape when you turn a plug around in the vise) I actually keep and old sock to double wrap the part of the plug that is between the vice pads to protect the parts I already sanded to shape from denting.
Because I do not own/use a lathe, I do almost all my cutting, rough shaping, sanding, and drilling with my vise and pads. Could not get by with out them.
JMAC_kerel is offline   Reply With Quote