Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #31
Joe

I heard that one time around 1960 they had to cut the NJF short because college students got out of hand. Imagine that, rioting at a jazz festival...people had class back then.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #32
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Joe, I was actually at that festival - or more accurately, outside Freebody Park where it was being held when the riot erupted.

I was 11 at the time and my Dad and I walked up there, to look at the "beatniks" since it was just a few blocks away from our house. In retrospect it was easy to see it coming, the streets were full of scruffy college kids and head-high piles of beer cans -

The last thing I remember was my father hustling me out of there when they started rocking the cop cars back and forth to turn them over and a barrage of beer cans and bottles. The governor declared martial law on Aquidneck Island and you had to prove residency to get back on the island if you left...Staties, Nat'l Guard with weapons, it was crazy

In the other NJF riot in '71 I was actually in the middle of it - unwillingly. Almost got trampled by hundreds of drug-addled and alcohol fueled crazies - me, my girl and a buddy were just hanging outside listening to the music and suddenly the Mongol hordes decided to storm the fence and liberate the concert......had to go with the flow, couldn't get through the angry mob and we were between them and the fence...sooooo

I was pissed...they canceled the rest of the festival and I had excellent box seats for the next night - with the Allmans headed by Duane on guitar...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
emgred
Curmudgeon

Great Modern Big Band sound

Tommy Igoe

I'd rather be fishing!
emgred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #34
sokinwet

"In the other NJF riot in '71 I was actually in the middle of it - unwillingly. Almost got trampled by hundreds of drug-addled and alcohol fueled crazies"

Small world..Hope I didn't step on you Crafty! I think everyone was in the "free concert" frame of mind back in "71"!! I was just kind of camping out on the outside too when some of RI's finest decided that cracking a few "hippie" skulls would be fun. I still remember a very large "superior" officer who felt a baseball bat was an appropriate crowd control tool. Somehow I never felt sneeking into a concert was a capital offense? Ahh...the good old days
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote