Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I feel worse for their parents.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
My wife's aunt and uncle lost their youngest son to an OD just under a year ago. He had been in and out of rehabs for years and it finally seemed to be working. 2 plus years clean, and then he gets a call from an old "friend". He died later that night with his girlfriend trying to break down the bathroom door to save him. Saddest funeral I've ever been to. We were with his parents on Christmas and they're still struggling and partly blaming themselves for what happened.

And for the record, he never smoked pot and wasn't much of a drinker. He got hooked on pain meds after a construction accident when he was in his early 20's.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post

And for the record, he never smoked pot and wasn't much of a drinker. He got hooked on pain meds after a construction accident when he was in his early 20's.

OK FB, I can see that, but what's the route to cocaine and meth?
I can't believe the majority of people just start on meth and cocaine ?

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Smoking weed is not Physicly addictive. It can be mentally. Your body does not writhe in agony craving your next bong hit. (Right dangles? )

Life debilitating addiction like heroin is usually started by mental illness or a physical issue that required pain meds.

I used to smoke a lot when I was a teen and never once felt that I needed the "next step". But others who did had something going on.. Depression, some cases just boredom from the monotony of life or just stupidity and wanting to be the "cool guy".

Marijuana if fully legalized and if fully understood could save civilization. Hemp based plastics and paper could help put more o2 into the atmosphere and take less oil out of the ground to make oil based plastic , plus it's biodegradable.

If everyone just smoked a doobie every night, I can assure you that there would be less violence in this world, let alone other health benefits. The key is to respect it and not abuse it.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Smoking weed is not Physicly addictive. It can be mentally. Your body does not writhe in agony craving your next bong hit. (Right dangles? )

Life debilitating addiction like heroin is usually started by mental illness or a physical issue that required pain meds.

I used to smoke a lot when I was a teen and never once felt that I needed the "next step". But others who did had something going on.. Depression, some cases just boredom from the monotony of life or just stupidity and wanting to be the "cool guy".

Marijuana if fully legalized and if fully understood could save civilization. Hemp based plastics and paper could help put more o2 into the atmosphere and take less oil out of the ground to make oil based plastic , plus it's biodegradable.

If everyone just smoked a doobie every night, I can assure you that there would be less violence in this world, let alone other health benefits. The key is to respect it and not abuse it.
I hear you Nebe. It's been mentioned here that people get hooked on Oxy
because they were prescribed it and get addicted. I know some are addiction prone. But I still don't follow a route for others that end up on meth, cocaine and onto heroin because it's cheaper without having used other mind altering drugs like pot before.
It has to start somewhere and I would venture to say most smoked pot along the way to the heavier drug. It only makes sense, I doubt someone just wakes up one morning and say's I think I'll take some
meth today.
More likely they have gotten in with the wrong crowd where within the culture heavier drugs are available. It's a crap shoot.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Alcohol leads to bad choices yet its use is somewhat celebrated and for some reason seems to be a drug that many don't see as that much of a problem. If I could have sued the manufacturers who made the alcohol for alot of my bad choices I would be a rich man, and my finger would still work. It was the combination of getting labeled a pothead by the football coach in high school in front of the whole team and alcohol that finally made me try pot.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote