Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Yudi

I put in locking wraps when I did mine. It was pretty straightforward, I'm not sure why you wouldn't do this. I guess from a 'looks' perspective, you have to get the timing down as to when to start the lock wraps so that when you finish wrap over them you don't climb the fillet too much. I wasn't worried about that too much, so just wrapping around the guide shank itself was pretty simple. My entire wrap was done by hand as well, so the building speed was the same regardless. It seems like a good idea to do. Are there any negatives, besides cosmetic issues?

I'm really interested to see how this all works out for you. For my build, it's a light duty and fair weather bay rod....I'm not worried about single foot guides. However, in the surf and when things get snotty they still worry me. I've bent double foot guides before and sheared off single foot guides. These single foot guides are tall and long which is quite a lever arm.

The other thing I'm worried about, perhaps needlessly, is whether this rapid choke is really peeky, or highly finnessed. By that I mean, it may perform well and better even when all conditions are optimal, but with variations in conditions it may perform less well. So higher performance, but less versatility. I am interested to see if problems develop in high winds, cross winds, and shifting winds. I'm also interested to see what happens if you don't get your line stacked well on the reel and have it catch a bit, what will happen. Water logging, ice crystal, etc.

But, I'm very impressed by what it does for the rod. You can pull that stripper in closer and have more runners which is really nice for power and makes the rod much crisper in the tip. You have a lot of options on the static loading.
Yudi is offline   Reply With Quote