Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #31
blondterror

Lawson' s Sip of Sunshine is now in pint cans and is amazing. Sean Lawson is brewing it twice a month at Two Roads Brewery in CT in a much larger scale than he can brew in his VT brewery. I met Sean at a Mad River Glen snowshoe event last Friday... He is the Naturalist at Mad River and is a down to earth Vermonter. He gets 90% of his hops from the Pacific Northwest. Citra is the hop that gives Sip of Sunshine its distinctive citrus like flavor.

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #32
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
Lawson' s Sip of Sunshine is now in pint cans and is amazing. Sean Lawson is brewing it twice a month at Two Roads Brewery in CT in a much larger scale than he can brew in his VT brewery. I met Sean at a Mad River Glen snowshoe event last Friday... He is the Naturalist at Mad River and is a down to earth Vermonter. He gets 90% of his hops from the Pacific Northwest. Citra is the hop that gives Sip of Sunshine its distinctive citrus like flavor.
Chris do you have access to it where you live? Would luv to trade you some Captains Daughter for some. Can we ship cans of beer?

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Can we ship cans of beer?
Believe it's illegal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #34
Liv2Fish

How many of you brew beer at home? Anyone get close to making something like Heady?

I've always wanted to give it a try. My brother in law got me a brewing kit a while back and some pretty detailed books but I've never had time. With the prices of decent beer these days, it's starting to seem worth doing.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #35
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Fish View Post
How many of you brew beer at home? Anyone get close to making something like Heady?

I've always wanted to give it a try. My brother in law got me a brewing kit a while back and some pretty detailed books but I've never had time. With the prices of decent beer these days, it's starting to seem worth doing.
I have made more wine at this point than beer but have done some beer. Pretty much if you can follow a recipe and clean & sanitize equipment...you can brew beer. sure there is trial, error and some science behind it but nowadays you can buy ingredient "kits" to brew just about any style. yes they even sell knock off kits for Heady. Havent tried this one myself as I lean toward darker ales, porters, etc so that is what I would rather brew when I get the chance.

Back to N.E. beers (OK VT Beers)..... IPAs are ok....just not my "thing" Is Heady good? yeah, just not my favorite style of beer. I was however recently blessed to be given some Fiddlehead Second fiddle and I actually liked it better than the Heady. Hill Farmstead Earl Pale Ale is pretty amazing..........

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #36
zimmy

People ship cans all over the place. There are dedicated beer trading boards. I haven't participated, but my friend trades via fed ex all the time. I got a dozen Sip of Sunshine burning a hole in my fridge if anyone is going to be around the new haven area. I could share a couple since the next delivery should be soon. As far as clones, the Pliny clone from morebeer.com is as spot on as you can get. The recipe came from the guy at Russian River who came up with Pliny. I keep going back to it, occasionally altering the hop schedule for kicks.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #37
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Believe it's illegal.
Posted from my Mobile beer device
i heard your supposed to shake boxes
to hear what's in - em
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #38
Nebe

I've mailed beer to England with no problems
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #39
rphud
GrandBob

Zimmy, can't you just drive over to Stratford for sunshine? Or is it a be there on time kind of thing there as well?
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #40
zimmy

It isn't sold at the brewery. Deliveries have been about once a month since they started around Christmas. The first (and I believe 2nd) delivery was one case per store. It is pretty much behind the counter everywhere and many stores seem to hold it for "regular" customers. Some stores have limited it to 1 can per person. Rumor is that there are groups of cars pulling in to stores behind the delivery truck. I have two places where I have been able to get it on the day of delivery since they are off the beaten path. I have heard they might be getting distribution up to a couple cases per store, but that isn't confirmed. I think there were even bottles this weekend, but I didn't go look since I have more than I can or should drink.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #41
rphud
GrandBob

That is disappointing. They should do growlers!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #42
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Would luv to trade you some Captains Daughter for some.
Tried this at a beer tasting even a couple weeks back, way overrated imho. I was disappointed after all the DZ and Nebe hype....

Of course, it was miles above the IPA, summer ale and 'banana bread' beer and ciders they had, but give me the Old Rasputin they had over Capt' Daughter or the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter I had at Malted Barley after...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #43
Nebe

Hound, one day your beer tastes will evolve to a refined level like DZ and myself. Until then, keep drinking your brown ales and yuingling .
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #44
rphud
GrandBob

Rasputin is top shelf! World Class for both BA ratings.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #45
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I just got back from skiing in northern vermont and I had a field day! Drank a lot of Lawson's sip of sunshine, I would argue this is probably a very small step ahead of heady, it's an awesome, complex tasting beer
Lawson's was much easier to find on tap at bars, but almost impossible to find in stores, where it was the opposite with heady, after calling about 5 places, we ended up with a couple of 4 packs per person of Heady, every store limited us to one 4 pack per guy. We didn't have it in us to leave at 5am on Thursday from the boston area to get in line at the Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier by 8:30 for a case of Heady, sorry had to draw the line!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #46
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphud View Post
Rasputin is top shelf! World Class for both BA ratings.
just tried Oskar Blues Ten Fidy this weekend...another top shelf Imperial Stout...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote