Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Just found out he has also been invited to the funeral.

He’s going to have to miss a day of school for that though
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Not a problem, the Navy takes care of their own.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Not a problem, the Navy takes care of their own.
He's still in High School, Senior year

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #33
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
What a turn this thread about a great American took... RIP GHWB.

But, to Paul's point Dangles, Trump getting through the primary didn't have anything to due with HRC. Your assessment of the general may be right, but I think it was more Dem's staying home than Dems flipping to trump that elected Trump in the general.
When I speak of the presidential election I am talking about Trump vs. Hillary. If you would like to change the narrative that is a different discussion. We got what the nation felt was needed regardless. But to blame Trump on republicans is shortsighted. More blame falls at the feet of the party of deceit.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #34
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Explain to me how someone other than the Repulicans voted for Trump when they had 12 other potentials?
Quoting this for Chris, since this started the discussion on this tangent. I didn't change the narrative.
Paul's point was that Trump had to get through a primary, ergo, Republicans supported him over more than a dozen other candidates. If they had rejected him as a con-artist back then, it would not have been Trump v. HRC in the general.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #35
PaulS

Why do you bother?
Old 12-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Quoting this for Chris, since this started the discussion on this tangent. I didn't change the narrative.
Paul's point was that Trump had to get through a primary, ergo, Republicans supported him over more than a dozen other candidates. If they had rejected him as a con-artist back then, it would not have been Trump v. HRC in the general.
a big reason why Trump won the primary, was a belief among republicans, that he was the only one who had a chance of successfully fighting back against the smear attacks that have become common on the left, which McCain and Romney were too gentle to defend themselves against. we wanted someone who could fight fire with fire. and as mush as i despise Trump, i am certain there is some validity to that thought. it’s sad, but valid.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
a big reason why Trump won the primary, was a belief among republicans, that he was the only one who had a chance of successfully fighting back against the smear attacks that have become common on the left, which McCain and Romney were too gentle to defend themselves against. we wanted someone who could fight fire with fire. and as mush as i despise Trump, i am certain there is some validity to that thought. it’s sad, but valid.
At least the Dems. haven't turned to lying about someone's birth or religion- sleazy, sleazy, sleazy. And with this Republican party, that gets you elected President.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
At least the Dems. haven't turned to lying about someone's birth or religion- sleazy, sleazy, sleazy. And with this Republican party, that gets you elected President.
right, becuse lying about John McCain having an affair, and accusing George HW Bush if leaving his crew to burn to death in the pacific, is less sleazy?

if we could talk honestly about the issues and stop the tabloid attacks, i swear to you, Trump would not be president. democrats don’t like talking about the issues, it’s much easier to call all republicans racist and deplorable. but that’s preferable to admitting that the policies you honestly stand for, tend to be counterproductive and weird.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
you are 100 percent correct that trump is sleazy. republicans saw that baseless personal attacks worked for the democrats in 2008 ( mccain was a senile old racist) and in 2012 ( Romney was a heartless plutocrat who hated women). that kind of sleaze worked for the democrats in 2008 and 2012, so sadly, my side felt it necessary to embrace the sleaze in 2016. and to take it to the next level, as far as the candidate is concerned. not as far as commentators are concerned.

the chronological order of things is relevant. my side embraced the sleaze that worked for the democrats in 08 and 12. trumps language is way more boorish and profane than obamas was. that’s just style. the substance of what trump says, isn’t that much different.

michelle obama was on tv this weekend, saying that racism is why conservatives want a secure southern border. do conservatives advicate letting white illegals in? not that i know of. it never stops on either side.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #40
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
He's still in High School, Senior year
Ahh, thought he was at Canoe U.

Quote:
you are 100 percent correct that trump is sleazy. republicans saw that baseless personal attacks worked for the democrats in 2008 ( mccain was a senile old racist) and in 2012 ( Romney was a heartless plutocrat who hated women). that kind of sleaze worked for the democrats in 2008 and 2012, so sadly, my side felt it necessary to embrace the sleaze in 2016. and to take it to the next level, as far as the candidate is concerned. not as far as commentators are concerned.

the chronological order of things is relevant. my side embraced the sleaze that worked for the democrats in 08 and 12. trumps language is way more boorish and profane than obamas was. that’s just style. the substance of what trump says, isn’t that much different.

michelle obama was on tv this weekend, saying that racism is why conservatives want a secure southern border. do conservatives advicate letting white illegals in? not that i know of. it never stops on either side.

^^^ There is some truth there. The Right has not gotten a fair shake from the Press for some time. As a result a lot of people said Suckit

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #41
PaulS

Quote:
right, becuse lying about John McCain having an affair, and accusing George HW Bush if leaving his crew to burn to death in the pacific, is less sleazy?

if we could talk honestly about the issues and stop the tabloid attacks, i swear to you, Trump would not be president. democrats don’t like talking about the issues, it’s much easier to call all republicans racist and deplorable. Dems. don't call all Republican's racist so stop lying. 1 person called them delplorable and then said sorry the next day. but that’s preferable to admitting that the policies you honestly stand for, tend to be counterproductive and weird.I don't think so. I think a lot of the Republican policies show no empathy or compassion for the poor.
You constantly say that the Dems. are worse but I when I see that I point out that both sides do it and you remain convinced otherwise.

Keep ruining a tribute thread bc you can't stop posting.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
You constantly say that the Dems. are worse but I when I see that I point out that both sides do it and you remain convinced otherwise.

if you can’t admit the democrats in politics and in the media, have a habit of calling the other side racist, i don’t know what to say. that’s as crazy as it would be for
me to deny that Trump is a jerk.

i also say both sides do it. but i think it’s way, way worse on the left. The last political show i watched regularly, was Bill O’Reilly. i didt like him at all, but i liked the show. Most issues, 95% of the time, the issue was debated by a smart conservative and a smart liberal, who each explained why they thought their opinion was the better opinion. and every night, many times, OReilly would
say to the liberal, “that’s a good point.”. That civil dialogue doesn’t happen on MSNBC or CNN.

I’m ruining it because i’m posting? i’m responding to you. we aren’t both doing it? It’s just me? You crack me up!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:

"1 person called them delplorable "

I have shocking news for you. She wasn't the first one to do it.

"and then said sorry the next day"

After polling showed that it hurt her. It was a planned, scripted, prepared remark. She was sorry that it damaged her campaign.

"I think a lot of the Republican policies show no empathy or compassion for the poor."

You and your pals in the media can (and do) say that all day long. And yet there's very little factual evidence to support that. It's another baseless smear. And then there's that study, which shows no huge difference in generosity between liberals and conservatives.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #44
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I will take a Mulligan...
Kasich was my guy
Trump was able to take advantage of a climate where the country didn’t know what they would get into,they just knew they wanted a change. Trump is obviously polarizing and seductive in a very strange way. The rest is history which I think will eventually prove that change was what indeed was needed to get things pointed in the right direction again.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #45
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Too bad a thread about a decent man is going down the toilet....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #46
PaulS

Quote:
if you can’t admit the democrats in politics and in the media, have a habit of calling the other side racist, i don’t know what to say. that’s as crazy as it would be for
me to deny that Trump is a jerk.

i also say both sides do it. but i think it’s way, way worse on the left. The last political show i watched regularly, was Bill O’Reilly. i didt like him at all, but i liked the show. Most issues, 95% of the time, the issue was debated by a smart conservative and a smart liberal, who each explained why they thought their opinion was the better opinion. and every night, many times, OReilly would
say to the liberal, “that’s a good point.”. That civil dialogue doesn’t happen on MSNBC or CNN.

I’m ruining it because i’m posting? i’m responding to you. we aren’t both doing it? It’s just me? You crack me up!
As I said earlier you started talking about two parties you view as liberal to complain about them. That took the focus off a tribute thread. It's because you can't help yourself. And you crack me up. Posting 7 days a week and constantly bringing up the same points over and over and over again.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #47
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
AMEN!

What hope do we have as a country? We can't agree on anything besides we hate each other..... A thread to honor and speak about a True American Patriot and it goes right down the toilet to trash talking Trump and Obama...... Pathetic.... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves....

Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #48
spence

Quote:
I chose not to participate.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #49
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
^^^^^^^
Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #50
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Please don't mess up the original thread that I edited, leave that now shorter thread for appropriate comments.

Thank you

I couldn't take it anymore

Carry on

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #51
PaulS

Quote:

if we could talk honestly about the issues and stop the tabloid attacks, i swear to you, Trump would not be president. democrats don’t like talking about the issues, it’s much easier to call all republicans racist and deplorable. but that’s preferable to admitting that the policies you honestly stand for, tend to be counterproductive and weird.
The senior strategist for Senator John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign said on Sunday night that he had lied to discredit a New York Times article that reported on Mr. McCain’s close relationship with a female lobbyist, a claim that the candidate and the campaign attacked at considerable length at the time.

The statement from Steve Schmidt, which he published in a late-night Substack post, was a remarkable turnabout for a former senior aide who once praised Mr. McCain as “the greatest man I’ve ever known.”

More than 14 years after The Times’s article appeared and four years after the Republican senator’s death, Mr. Schmidt let loose a furious personal assault on the credibility of Mr. McCain and his family.

“Immediately following the story’s publication, John and Cindy McCain both lied to the American people,” Mr. Schmidt wrote, adding, “Ultimately, John McCain’s lie became mine.”
Old 05-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
The senior strategist for Senator John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign said on Sunday night that he had lied to discredit a New York Times article that reported on Mr. McCain’s close relationship with a female lobbyist, a claim that the candidate and the campaign attacked at considerable length at the time.

The statement from Steve Schmidt, which he published in a late-night Substack post, was a remarkable turnabout for a former senior aide who once praised Mr. McCain as “the greatest man I’ve ever known.”

More than 14 years after The Times’s article appeared and four years after the Republican senator’s death, Mr. Schmidt let loose a furious personal assault on the credibility of Mr. McCain and his family.

“Immediately following the story’s publication, John and Cindy McCain both lied to the American people,” Mr. Schmidt wrote, adding, “Ultimately, John McCain’s lie became mine.”
I'm not overly convinced about claims made against a man who isn't around to defend himself.

And I think (but this was awhile ago), I was referring to the rumor that John McCain was actually the biological father of the black girl they adopted.

McCain had his flaws, he wasn't a saint, he said he was completely responsible for the failure of his first marriage. He wouldn't elaborate.

Throwing dirt on someone after they're dead, doesn't impress me all that much. But I also wouldn't bet a dollar the story wasn't true.

If Bill Clinton can still be enormously popular with the left (and he is), I don't know why it matters if John McCain was a good husband. The older I get, the less I care about how presidents behave, if his wife wants to tolerate cheating, that's her business, I care if a POTUS keeps my kids safe and grows the economy, and gets otherwise decent results on major issues. Bill Clinton, who I think was a very good POTUS, showed me that results matter WAAAY more than personal ethics, or lack thereof.

Your memory is impressive.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #53
PaulS

I could care less if he had an affair. between he and his wife.