Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
Goose

What a nightmare, didn't know the guy buy his family is in my prayers.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #32
PaulS

How sad. It should be a reminder to all of us to be careful out there.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #33
Saltheart

Not Good - SurfTalk

Normally I wouldn't post a link but many many people here will recognize him from the picture who are drawing a blank from just the name.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #34
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

will miss you Bob ... RIP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bob.jpg (81.1 KB, 99 views)

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #35
Slammer223

Bob was someone that when you left him,you were hoping that you would see him again soon.Geez,I liked that guy.It's a real kick in the stomach to find out that he is gone.Thoughts and Prayers to his loved ones.
Slammer223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #36
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

He has posted here occasionally as BS4SHORE for those that didn't know him.

Great guy, wish I had the chance to know him better.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #37
hyefisherman2
ditch boy

Send a message via AIM to hyefisherman2
When I first read this I was in complete shock! So sad. RIP Bob. Condolences sent.
hyefisherman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #38
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Found this sad news when myself and several from this site returned home safely from a beautiful morning on the water.......it can go bad so quickly for any of us at any time.....no matter how well seasoned we may think we are. Bob was a good fisherman and a good person. It struck me as ironic when I heard the news that not too long ago, at another dear friends wake and funeral, Bob and I lamented how "you just never know when your time will come". I am just so sorry to hear that Bob's time came much too soon. I think a man's mark in life can be measured by how many he touched......how many that man made an impression on, and it can't be measured with any certainty until that man is gone. Bob touched us all and left an impression of generosity, kindness, caring and a pure joy for this passion that we all share. Rest in peace Bob. May fair winds and fishy waters be yours always.

I understand that Greg jumped in to save Bob. Such a selfless act...it just leaves me speechless. Get better soon Greg.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #39
FISHING_FOOL

This is terrible. RIP
FISHING_FOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #40
fishbones

Wow, I just heard about this. RIP, Bob and condolences to his family and friends.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #41
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
thoughts and prayers

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #42
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Very sad news indeed.......

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #43
saltydog

Thoughts and prayers to friends and family.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #44
luds
Night Stalker

I'll miss you Bob.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #45
eelskimmer

Did not know Bob, but he was a member
of our community and will be missed.
God's blessings on his family.
eelskimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #46
Slipknot
Super Moderator

By Cynthia Mccormick
cmccormick@capecodline.com
September 19, 2010

SANDWICH — A Plymouth fisherman who was wearing waders drowned when he got caught in the outgoing tide and was swept into Cape Cod Bay at the mouth of Old Harbor Creek early yesterday morning, Sandwich Fire Department officials said.

The Sandwich police identified the fisherman as Robert Samuelson, 43, of Plymouth.

Another fisherman who was with Samuelson at the time of the incident, Gregory McSharry, 32, of Carver was rescued after spending at least a half hour in the 65-degree water.

The two men had been fishing by the creek near the Sandwich Boardwalk when the current carried them about 200 yards out and at least a quarter of a mile east along the bay, fire officials said.

When it became clear Samuelson was in trouble, McSharry took off his waders and attempted to assist him, Sandwich Fire Capt. Timothy McMahon said.

"That guy is a hero," Sandwich Fire Deputy Chief Tom Corriveau said of McSharry. "He put his own life at risk to try and save his friend."

Sandwich police and fire officials as well as the Coast Guard responded to a call for help from two other fishermen who witnessed the event from the east side of the creek, the Salt Marsh Road side, Corriveau said.

A Sandwich Fire Department rescue boat crew pulled a still conscious but exhausted McSharry from the water at about 1 a.m., Sandwich fire officials said. The rescue crew also retrieved Samuelson's body and brought it to the Sandwich Marina.

McSharry was taken to Jordan Hospital in Plymouth, where he was treated and released.

Corriveau also credited the fishermen who called for help with keeping their eyes trained on the men in distress, which helped coordinate rescue efforts. "It probably made a difference with (McSharry), who was still treading water," Corriveau said.

The Coast Guard set off several parachute flares to illuminate the water and was preparing to launch a helicopter when the men were spotted, a Coast Guard spokesman said.

Samuelson was an experienced fisherman who was acquainted with the area, Corriveau said. "Unfortunately, he lost his footing, and it's a tragedy for everybody in the community," he said.

-----------------------------------

this article has it pretty much how it went down.
Greg should be commended for his heroism and almost ultimate sacrifice. As well as the 2 guys onshore who made the call and directed the rescuers' efforts to get the men out of the water.

I still can't believe this

Bob you are gone now, but will not be forgotten.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #47
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I understand that Greg jumped in to save Bob. Such a selfless act...it just leaves me speechless. Get better soon Greg.[/QUOTE]

I was told this as well. Greg took off his waders and swam out after Bob. Coasties that pulled Greg out of the water said he was very close to not be able to keep his head above water. He needs our thoughts and prayers even moreso.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #48
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

This is very tough news, I'm sorry and my Condolences to all

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #49
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I understand that Greg jumped in to save Bob. Such a selfless act...it just leaves me speechless. Get better soon Greg.
I was told this as well. Greg took off his waders and swam out after Bob. Coasties that pulled Greg out of the water said he was very close to not be able to keep his head above water. He needs our thoughts and prayers even moreso.[/QUOTE]

this just speaks volumes to a bond between people that can be developed when they fish together. wish he well!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #50
BassDawg
Trophy Hunter Apprentice

So sad to hear of his drowning,,,,,,,,,,

my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

we can never be TOO careful, there is no SHAME in

walking away from ANY situation in the surf,,,,,,,,,,

sorry for such an horrific loss; heal fast, Greg!

"The first condition of happiness is that the connection
between man and nature shall not be broken."~~ Leo Tolstoy

Tight Lines, and
Happy Hunting to ALL!
BassDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #51
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The wake will be held on Thursday at the Richard Davis Funeral Home, on Route 3A in Manomet. Here's the obit from this morning:

Samuelson, Robert Walter, 43, “Bob” by accident while fishing. September 18, in Sandwich. Beloved son of Robert T. and Sharon (Webb) Samuelson of Manomet. Brother of Thomas Samuelson of CA, and Sherer Samuelson McGee of Middleboro. He also leaves his grandmother Barbara Jones of Mansfield, his life partner Mary Donovan of Manomet and many friends. Robert grew up in Plymouth went to Plymouth Schools. After graduation he joined the U.S. Coast Guard and served 4 years. He was the store manager of the Falmouth Bait and Tackle Shop. He was a member of Striper’s On Line, and he loved fishing. Visiting hours will be held on Thursday September 23, at the Richard Davis Funeral Home 619 State (Rte 3A) Plymouth, (Manomet) 5:00 to 8:00 PM. All other services and burial will be private. In lieu of flowers donations in his memory may be made to Stan Gibbs Cape Cod Canal Fisherman’s Statue Fund, P.O. Box 117, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532, or the Friends of the Plymouth Pound P.O. Box 578, Manomet, MA 02345.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #52
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

thanks Mike, still hard to believe.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #53
NIB

I talked to slip this smornin an he told me what happened.I could barely speak as I fought back the tears.Bob was really one of the good guys.One of my favorites.I knew I could always find when I came up.We would make plans to hook up as he would go out of his way to get out with me.I spent many late night tides fishing with him.We would often have breakfast afterwards.He always offered me a place to rest up but of course I never obliged.He would come down to jersey as Mary his girlfriend had family here.It was always great to see that big smile of his.. He was a real gentleman who treated me like royalty when I stopped in the shop to see him..
Habs, Steve and now Bob..Seems every year one of the good ones go early.Well he is in good company..
Life IS short.Treat each day like it could be yor last.Be Careful out there.And be kind to others.
So Sad..
Mike if you go the the wake can you please pass my condolences to Mary for me.She is a real sweetheart and I feel very bad for her and his family..What a tragic loss..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #54
maddog2020

WOW, his name sounded familiar and when JohnR posted his handle, I had traded w/ him on other site a few years back.

Man that stinks. It just shows you that it can happen to any one any time you go out. Just be careful out there guys. Good reason to wear SOSpenders.

Prayers to his family.
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #55
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
I talked to slip this smornin an he told me what happened.I could barely speak as I fought back the tears.Bob was really one of the good guys.One of my favorites.I knew I could always find when I came up.We would make plans to hook up as he would go out of his way to get out with me.I spent many late night tides fishing with him.We would often have breakfast afterwards.He always offered me a place to rest up but of course I never obliged.He would come down to jersey as Mary his girlfriend had family here.It was always great to see that big smile of his.. He was a real gentleman who treated me like royalty when I stopped in the shop to see him..
Habs, Steve and now Bob..Seems every year one of the good ones go early.Well he is in good company..
Life IS short.Treat each day like it could be yor last.Be Careful out there.And be kind to others.
So Sad..
Mike if you go the the wake can you please pass my condolences to Mary for me.She is a real sweetheart and I feel very bad for her and his family..What a tragic loss..
Will do, Tony, as I'm sure Slip will, too.

I was thinking of Habs and Steve, too, and how we're coming up on 3 years since John left us.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #56
Raven

it's so sad... this had to happen

made me think there should be a way to tether (anchor)
yourself to the rocks
so ya can't get swept away....

too short a life for someone so nice.

My Condolences to His Wife and Family
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #57
chumbucket

Deepest sympathy to Bob's Family.

chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #58
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Really choked up reading all this. I had no idea. My condolences go out to all that knew him, sounds like a great guy.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #59
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Didn't know Bob but my heart goes out to his loved ones. This is a tragic event. Greg sounds like a hero and a good friend and he's going to need some help from his friends going forward. I can't even imagine what he's dealing with now.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #60
Brian L

What a shame.

I just heard from an extremely trustworthy source that it was Mike V. "Redlite" and another fisherman who were on the beach and made the call to the coast guard. Probably saved Greg's life from the sounds of it. Good work fellas, you saved one of your own, and heroic one at that.

Rest easy, Bob, and condolences to the family.

Last edited by Brian L; 09-20-2010 at 12:40 PM..
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote