Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

twitter

Their IPO debuts in a few minutes and to be honest....I still don't get it. This entire social media thing.

Beyond the idea that little advertising blurbs will make them billions I don't get the social media thing.

I did some research on what twitter was and it is sort of like a mico blog. Ie..you can say " I went to shopping for a pair of pants today but could not find anything in my size that I liked." Who the hell cares? Why would anyone want to "follow "what anyone else is doing? Why would anyone want to be stalked like that.

OK, I can see a celeb like lady gaga wants to tell all her fans about a concert tour but why do I want to waste my time following you or why should you waste your time following me?

The last couple years I have been playing with facebook and I still don't get the appeal of that. Yeah it is kinda cool to be able to post stuff and have others see it but it is really another big waste of time. Also I do not understand how they make their money. Yeah...I know those annoying targeted ads on the side and now in the news feed. I ask you...have you ever clicked on them. NO one I know has ever bought anything from an ad off facebook.

I have been around from the dawn of computers. I remember when email was just between universities and you had to go thru a university to get an account. I've seen all this develop... I recall the internet when it first was being developed and it would be exciting and remember business trying to figure out how to use it effectively.

I was very sceptable of google for the same reason. Search engines are cool but I never understood how they would profit from it the way they have. Probably one of my biggest mistakes in my life, I actually went fishing several times with "the guy" who was responsible for bringing google public. (he has a house here and is a good friend of one of my fishing buddies) We had several discussions about this while we were fishing pre IPO about the company and I still could not get it. I thought it was overpriced at the IPO...what the hell did I know?

Back to social media...I understand the nosey nature of teens but I just don't get how these companies that really don't produce anything can be worth billions. Again, I see the ads.... but who buys stuff from those ads???

The coolest software that I think I ever recall seeing was napster. That has to be the most effective use of networking ever developed. That was way ahead of its time.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 11-07-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
JackK
Not Jack

Where Twitter in particular shines is in the news field.

Two completely different instances:

When the bombings in Boston happened, I went on Twitter feeds to find out up-to-date (literally second by second) updates as to what was going on. I'd find out info before it was on TV, before it was updated online, on the radio, etc. Same went with the manhunt- I was down in PA when it was happening, so it didn't have the same news coverage- but I could still follow along.

Another example- I'm huge into the NFL, and Twitter in the past few years has been the best (and quickest) source of info for free-agency happenings.

I also think it's cool to be able to have conversations with pro athletes, analysts, newscasters, etc...

Media has changed today- it's a race to see who can post info online (and often times on Twitter) the quickest. I don't think this is necessarily a good thing- as was the case in the bombings, much misinformation was out there- but there's certainly more utility to it than "I went shopping today"

Also, the question can always be asked- do you need to know the information that quickly? Probably not. But that's a generational conversation.

As with many things, garbage in, garbage out. If you use it for junk then don't expect much- but used selectively it can be quite beneficial.

Re: Ads- I think there are many stupid people out there who do buy that stuff- or at least click once to see what's up
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Mr. Sandman

Sounds like you have never actually clicked thru to buy something either. If the end user does not actually buy something to pay for the ad....eventually the paid ads will stop as they are determined to be ineffective.

They are rating the effectiveness of these ads on "eyeball" counts...that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard because if it does not translate to $ (not just clicking on the big breasted girl in the link to see what is up) it will eventually collapse when the IPO money drys up.

I don't see the relevance of instantaneous news. Sure news needs to be timely, that is why newspapers are a thing of the past... but knowing wrong news (instantaneous or not) is worse than official news even if it is delayed a few hours. I was in florida during the bombing and caught up with the news each night. That was more than enough for me, in fact it was too much, I turned it off most nights as all they did was repeat themselves. I don't need to know the very second cop got a view of something, it does not affect me to any degree of significance. I assume everyone is doing their job to the best of their ability.

Is it that important to know team moves second by second? How does this affect YOU? The team is not asking you for your advice so why should you give a damn. what they do is what they do. Most things do not require instant alert.

Do you follow any non-celebrity?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Sounds like you have never actually clicked thru to buy something either. If the end user does not actually buy something to pay for the ad....eventually the paid ads will stop as they are determined to be ineffective.

They are rating the effectiveness of these ads on "eyeball" counts...that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard because if it does not translate to $ (not just clicking on the big breasted girl in the link to see what is up) it will eventually collapse when the IPO money drys up.
No different from paying for a paid spot during a TV show....your not paying a network based on how many people purchase your product....your paying them on home many people will potentially see your ad. Their are millions of people on twitter every day...so your paying for that potential

...and if that ad isn't working they will just make a new one

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Nebe

Twitters value is its name. Nothing more. Anyone could create the code to make an identicle platform, but with twitter and it's "tweets" it's here to stay. I predict the stock value to balloon for a week or 2 and then tank.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
FishermanTim

Twitter is for twits, that's it in a nutshell.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
fishbones

I like @KUBoobsofficial
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
If anyone wants to follow me on Twitter: BuzzBait53. Hell might freeze over before I twit or tweet however. Had my name for 2yrs and <20 tweets.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
If anyone wants to follow me on Twitter: BuzzBait53. Hell might freeze over before I twit or tweet however. Had my name for 2yrs and <20 tweets.
#BROCKTON #STRIPERS #BEER

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

the money comes from the demographic using the device and the data that can be mined from there. money doesnt come from ads. Money is in the data and selling it for targeted ads etc

The chinese didnt hack google as project aurora (gov't sponsored hacks), because they were looking for ad revenue...

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

I buy stock in companies that make money. Twitter hasn't made a dime. I don't think it will tank in a week or two because of the deal they made with the brokers where they have to hold it for a period of time. But I do say that at some point it will have to close its 20 point gap up
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

What's Twitter?
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Raven

twitter is where you whisper sweet nothings into the world's ear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paul.png
Views:	220
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	57446  

Last edited by Raven; 11-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: adding png
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
Raven

the revolution will be twitterized
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
What's Twitter?

Twitter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twitter.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	57445  

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

^^^^^^^^. Lol
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

^^^
^^^LOL
Old 11-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
#BROCKTON #STRIPERS #BEER
Haven't learned that hash tag thing yet, maybe have to ask BigFish?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
fishbones

Hash tags are gay as Easter.
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #20
Raven

do you buy them At dunkins?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Twitter
Sorry.. that is funny as hell....I have to steal this image for my personal use.

hashtags???...I thought # were called pound signs.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
JackK
Not Jack

Perhaps some of it has to do with the fact that I don't watch TV- internet/radio are the only source I have for any news. If I can find it quickly- why not?

And while I agree that wrong news can be detrimental, I don't take anything I read on the internet as gospel- at least until it's been confirmed by multiple sources. I try not to jump to conclusions/believe the "tweet" from some random journalist immediately. Some might not do the same (just look at the political forum! ).

The key word you say is "affect". None of this "affects" me. Sports don't, the bombing didn't (personally, at least), goings on in Nebraska/Argentina/Germany/Japan (etc...) don't "affect" me... But they do interest me. Like I said, you (well, I'm assuming here, but I think) grew up in a generation of newspapers, evening news, landlines and relatively slow transmission of data. I was the first computer generation, and one of the first to grow up with the internet. If I can find information instantly- and it's incredibly easy to do so- I'm going to do it. I see no wrong with it (although I do recognize that one has to be aware of misinformation). Like it or not, this is going to be a continual trend in our society. The demand for more data, quicker, is only going to get greater.

And BTW, I don't follow anyone on Twitter. I literally use it only around NFL FA and if a serious news item occurs. 95% of what people have Twitter accounts for is absolute garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post

I don't see the relevance of instantaneous news. Sure news needs to be timely, that is why newspapers are a thing of the past... but knowing wrong news (instantaneous or not) is worse than official news even if it is delayed a few hours. I was in florida during the bombing and caught up with the news each night. That was more than enough for me, in fact it was too much, I turned it off most nights as all they did was repeat themselves. I don't need to know the very second cop got a view of something, it does not affect me to any degree of significance. I assume everyone is doing their job to the best of their ability.

Is it that important to know team moves second by second? How does this affect YOU? The team is not asking you for your advice so why should you give a damn. what they do is what they do. Most things do not require instant alert.

Do you follow any non-celebrity?
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Fly Rod

talking about Twitter...some TV program was showing how the advertizing worked....if ya clicked on Starbucks just below it was Dunkin Donuts to click on too.

I have also heard that people talking about affordable healthcare lost their twitter account...any truth to that????
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackK View Post
But they do interest me.
@NWSBoston would be a Twitter feed some here might appreciate or have interest in.

Their Twitter feed is a mixed bag, some things trivial, some mildly interesting, some very important or timely. The beauty of being limited to 140 characters is what ever the post is it's going to be concise. And since there's often a link, if you want more, you can choose to click on it. If they post a link to temperature projections for December, hey, that's interesting to me. I'm going to click through. If not, I wasted merely seconds.

Yeah, I guess you could pro-actively go to their website all the time and dig through for the same relevant info. I do that too.

Today's feed was lots of images of Super Typhoon Haiyan, images of flooding on Nantucket, rainfall totals around the region, reported wind gusts around the region, and all that was gathered easily, and each was summed up in less then 140 characters (or there was a link to click for more details if you wanted to). Hey, maybe I'm easily amused, but I like keeping up on the weather around the area. It works for me.

Like a lot of things, take what you like from it, leave the rest. It's well known a lot of what's on Twitter is completely useless. Really a lot depends on how well the Twitter feed is "fed", I guess. You might like "X" but if their Twitter feed never provides anything useful you're obviously going to shut it off or lose interest.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
bassballer

As kevin stated I use twitter for news updates and sports updates. Twitter is where news IS BREAKING. Not on TV or radio. Sports writers are now contracted to break news on twitter. Its part of their job description. When you see adam schefter on ESPN giving you news about Cognito, he tweeted it the day before.

Also ive had conversations with sports players, radio hosts, ect regarding sports. What other site give you platform to talk direct with people you never be able to contact otherwise.

@jaybap.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #26
Raven

incognito was twiterized
and now
incognito is incognito
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Stock market is legal Ponzi. Last out always loses, right.
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote