Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
JackK
Not Jack

PC connection problem- WiMAX???

OK, WTH is WiMAX? I bought a cheap Dell for my mom... Attempting to set it up, and couldn't connect to my wireless out of the box (surprise surprise). Looked up the wireless card (Intel Centrino WiMAX 6250 Advanced-N + Wireless Network Card) and found new drivers for it. Installed the new drivers, but I still can't connect...

Now, when I bought the machine, I had no idea that WiMax is a separate entity from WiFi (had never heard of it). Am I SOL with trying to connect to a normal wireless network? My machine shows at least 10 networks in range... Nothing on the Dell. Suggestions??

Might just have to return this POS.
JackK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
iamskippy

Please list the following and we will see what we can do to assist.

Make
model
service #
serial#

Do the best you can to get that info. But im going to touch a few basic questions.

1- is the wirless card on, under the monitor there is usually a antenna icon, you may need to use the function key to activate it

2- some have buttons on the front panel between you and the lappy.

A lot of times conflics can happen between 3rd party software and os ware.

Jack i will be around all day tomorrow as i am really not suppose to drive so i am confident i can offer some assitance, as some times and alot of time router compatability is a possible culprit
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
JackK
Not Jack

Dell Inspiron 14R N4010
Win7 64
RFW2R-8PY9P-XXXXX-YC7MB-P3HFX
11BYXP1

There is a wireless icon on the F2 key, hitting it does nothing, as well as CTRL+, Fn+, etc. The other keys work fine. No hard switch that I can find, at least.

The computer came with none of the wireless drivers installed. I downloaded the most up to date ones from intel-

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...%2b+WiMAX+6250

That got the WiMAX working (well, at least searching for networks, couldn't find any).

There were two downloads for the Intel Proset wireless software- drivers only and the software package with drivers. I installed the total package, and I get an error saying that the driver is not installed. The Intel MyWiFi software says that no adapter is found. Attempting to install just the drivers does nothing- it asks if I want to run the program, a wireless icon with a few flashing dots pops up, then disappears and nothing's happened. Rebooting hasn't solved the issue.

The description of the card states that it can handle both WiMAX and WiFi. I'm wondering if it's just a faulty card. It's a refurbished laptop so I only have until tomorrow to initiate a return (sickness combined with apartment internet being out means I couldn't really set it up until tonight). My main concern is ease of use- I'll be shipping this down to my mom in PA, and she's not tech savvy at all, so I'm hoping I can get this fixed and easy for her... otherwise I'll just have to return it and find something else. PIA!!!

Thanks for any help. I will be offshore tomorrow in the morning, but should be back by mid-afternoon at the latest.

Last edited by JohnR; 01-25-2012 at 08:31 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
JackK
Not Jack

One thing I might try tomorrow is a clean install of all drivers- run a utility like DriverSweeper to get rid of everything, then try once more from scratch. Might work...
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Kevin - just to clarify a few things

You are saying WiMAX - WiMAX is for wireless Internet networks similar to cable or fiber for large areas and not wirless inside your house hooked up to your cable modem. Your network card supports both internal wireless networks and pay for wireless like WiMAX.

To confirm - you hit the blue function key AND F2 at the same time?

If you go to Control Panel, there may be an icon for Dell's network adpater / connection manager besides the windows one. If you go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Adapters, right click on the wireless and see if it is disabled.

2 - Dell occasionally has issues with the Dell Control Point software screwing up wireless where I have had to remove it a few times and use the built in wireless control from M$ ...

3 - I believe this is the driver you want : Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
iamskippy

The other major issue with dell and programs like this is that they fight each other. Windows has its wireless program and the you add in a 3rd party which tries to take over.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
JackK
Not Jack

Thanks for the tips- will update this afternoon
Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
JackK
Not Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Kevin - just to clarify a few things

You are saying WiMAX - WiMAX is for wireless Internet networks similar to cable or fiber for large areas and not wirless inside your house hooked up to your cable modem. Your network card supports both internal wireless networks and pay for wireless like WiMAX.

To confirm - you hit the blue function key AND F2 at the same time?

If you go to Control Panel, there may be an icon for Dell's network adpater / connection manager besides the windows one. If you go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Adapters, right click on the wireless and see if it is disabled.

2 - Dell occasionally has issues with the Dell Control Point software screwing up wireless where I have had to remove it a few times and use the built in wireless control from M$ ...

3 - I believe this is the driver you want : Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]
Yep... Ctrl + F2 at the same time. Didn't do anything, even before I started messing with new drivers.

No Dell software on the machine at all, other than Webcam Central. Dell Control Point isn't on it- at least, it's not listed in add/remove programs or the start menu. Didn't come with a utility disk either, just an OS reinstall. I thought it peculiar that it didn't come loaded with bloatware.

That driver wouldn't install, as I already had a more recent version installed. I uninstalled the more recent one, and that driver gave an error message saying it couldn't be installed ("This software package cannot be installed on your system. The setup application will exit").

Even stranger, after installing the Intel WiFi software it still says no adapter can be found. If I install the WiMAX drivers it shows up fine in network connections- but WiMAX, not WiFi.

Where do I find the Win7 wireless program? Can't find it anywhere in the search feature.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
JohnR

Not CTRL + F2

Blue Function key and F2

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
JackK
Not Jack

Yep... did em all... I even threw an ALT in there for good measure
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
JohnR

Lightly push on the antenna symbol - I've seen that as well but I have worked with your particular model.

If you can take and post pictures of the keyboard, left & right sides, and front under trackpad I can likely tell you which one it is.

I looked up your system tag and that says you have one in there.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Lightly push on the antenna symbol - I've seen that as well but I have worked with your particular model.

If you can take and post pictures of the keyboard, left & right sides, and front under trackpad I can likely tell you which one it is.

I looked up your system tag and that says you have one in there.

Did the same but no good shots of the keyboard john.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
JackK
Not Jack

Tried the light tap, the forceful hold, and swearing.

Here's the best pic I can get of the board... Sorry for the crappy camera phone. The one of the front won't turn out. There aren't any buttons or switches on it... One of the first things I looked for, a wireless slider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	50209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0264.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	50210  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
JohnR

You are pushing these two at the same time?

If you can get on the Internet with it wired up with an ethernet cable shoot me a PM and Ill try to connect remotely and take a look....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kj1a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	50211  

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
JackK
Not Jack

Yep... I will try and see if I can get wired somehow. My apartment building has wireless but I don't know where the router is. Will contact the landlady tomorrow or the next day.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
JackK
Not Jack

Got hardwired on my GF's line and sat through two hours of tech support on Dell. Had to do it to avoid the restocking fee for a return. Their conclusion after going through a standard tech, his supervisor and the senior IT guy there- computer is irreparably f****d. Wireless card is defective, just like I told them from the start. This was a refurbished machine... Apparently it was returned after purchased new due to the SAME PROBLEM. So the solution was to slap a refurbished sticker on it and send it to a new customer.

After my last Dell I said 'never again'. Bought this one for my mom because she needed a cheap one relatively fast. Sticking with my motto this time, and waiting on SlickDeals.