Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 11-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
FishermanTim

Like to know the zoning laws for Dover, MA

....regarding discharging of firearms in your backyard.

Went fishing yesterday afternoon on a stretch of the Charles River in Dover, and there were two people, probably father and son, doing some skeet shooting over the river.

My concern was not so much about the gun discharge ( I'm still concerned) as much as the disregard for the public and the environment.

They were shooting over the river directly across from a wildlife park frequented by the public, The "Charles River Peninsula"
Add to that the environmental impact from the sound and the shots falling in and around the water, and it had me wondering if these two had any clue regarding their actions.

I don't know what kind of shot they were using, but I can't believe it would be a benefit to the environment, specifically if it's lead shot.

Just wondering....

Last edited by FishermanTim; 11-27-2016 at 08:55 PM..

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it
500 feet from an occupied dwelling

Common sense says unlikely there are any canoes going down river this time of year but you never know I guess.

As far as sound goes, that is laughable, tell the liberals to allow the suppressor law to be passed so we can save our hearing. Noise pollution? I don't think so
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
FishermanTim

I agree, no boaters were out, but they couldn't tell if anyone was hiking the area directly across from them.
The river at that area is 20-30feet across and the hiking path is a VERY short distance from that.

So besides the potential danger from a person and/or dog getting pelted with buckshot, there's also the pollution aspect.
They were shooting for at least a half hour, and had to be peppering the other shore and woods with a considerable amount of residue.

I'm not complaining about them shooting if it is legal, but just concerned about what they are leaving behind when they have finished.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

many are concerned about lead, that is why there is steel shot and it is getting more widely used
lead comes from the ground anyway

I doubt it was buckshot
I have had birdshot land on me, it does not hurt it's more annoying than anything

you are right about knowing what is beyond your target, maybe they checked first maybe not

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Cool Beans

the small shot is eaten by various migratory birds and is beneficial to them as it mixes with small rock in the gizzard and assists in their digestion of grains.

If it is steel shot it is doubly beneficial as the steel builds up in their system and assists their internal compass when finding north.

Lead shot builds up in their feet and helps them run faster. This is where the term lead foot comes from.

Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
tysdad115

Ahh..the sound of restricted,limited and over regulated freedom..

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Ahh..the sound of restricted,limited and over regulated freedom..
Ah, the sound of lead or steel shot in a waterway...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
FishermanTim

There's something oddly soothing about hearing gunshots off in the distant woods, and many of my favorite fishing spots have nearby shooting ranges.

Now if I were to hear a gun shot on my street, THAT would be an issue!