Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Did anyone see the FOX interview of ACORN founder?

Last night on Fox a pre-recorded interview was aired and it was very interesting. Very honest in the questions asked and answered. Even about the guys brother who stole all that money. The money trail is too long to actually try to follow. Acorn is actually made up of thousands of some big but mostly small entities that all get money from you and me. Next time its on I'll have to watch it in its entirety.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Fly Rod

Yes, I watched it.

It was about the grass roots of how that person started to legally scam the government up to and including today.

Until recently they have done a pretty good job of scaming the government, also the public.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
spence

I watched most of it.

Here's the net...Acorn has had a number of issues for sure, and has also done some good to help the inner city. They deserve to be investigated for a number of claims against them.

But at the end of the day, the amount of taxpayer money at play here is peanuts compared to other industries.

How much taxpayer money has been wasted in the defense industry over the decades? Hell, how much just in the Iraq reconstruction? We're not talking the few millions Acorn has received, we're talking hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars.

Yet, listening to Right wing talk radio or FOX News you'd think that ACORN was a bigger threat to the US than alQaida.

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
buckman

My big issue with Acorn is they are using taxpayer$$ to elect folks they want.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I watched most of it.

Here's the net...Acorn has had a number of issues for sure, and has also done some good to help the inner city. They deserve to be investigated for a number of claims against them.

But at the end of the day, the amount of taxpayer money at play here is peanuts compared to other industries.

How much taxpayer money has been wasted in the defense industry over the decades? Hell, how much just in the Iraq reconstruction? We're not talking the few millions Acorn has received, we're talking hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars.

Yet, listening to Right wing talk radio or FOX News you'd think that ACORN was a bigger threat to the US than alQaida.

-spence
Have you been waterboarded? Nobody thinks that Acorn is a bigger threat. They must be held accountable for their illegal actions. And it would have been billions not millions that they were going to get.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Nebe

And haliburton charges $100 do do one small load of laundry in Iraq...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
My big issue with Acorn is they are using taxpayer$$ to elect folks they want.
Have they?

I've seen a number of complaints against individual Acorn members, but never any credible argument that they have been able to actually influence elections. This was the assertion of the McCain campaign in 2008 and it's been thoroughly debunked. Registration of false voters isn't nearly the same thing as casting illegal votes.

Hell, the inner city probably votes Dem 98% of the time and do you think Acorn's reach extends beyond that?

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Have they?

I've seen a number of complaints against individual Acorn members, but never any credible argument that they have been able to actually influence elections. This was the assertion of the McCain campaign in 2008 and it's been thoroughly debunked. Registration of false voters isn't nearly the same thing as casting illegal votes.

Hell, the inner city probably votes Dem 98% of the time and do you think Acorn's reach extends beyond that?

-spence
There are a few Acorn big players on trial for fraudulently registering voters. If someone is not legally eligible to vote, and then they end up voting because they were fraudulently registered, is that vote not cast illegally? May not be the same, but it's still wrong and can influence an election.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
There are a few Acorn big players on trial for fraudulently registering voters. If someone is not legally eligible to vote, and then they end up voting because they were fraudulently registered, is that vote not cast illegally? May not be the same, but it's still wrong and can influence an election.
Show me where Acorn has actually influenced the number of votes cast, I've not seen it.

Voter registration, while certainly illegal, doesn't do anything but potentially line the pockets of those paid to register voters.

-spence
Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Show me where Acorn has actually influenced the number of votes cast, I've not seen it.

Voter registration, while certainly illegal, doesn't do anything but potentially line the pockets of those paid to register voters.

-spence
If someone is being paid to register voters, the person who is paying must have a reason. I can't think of a reason to pay someone to register voters unless it is that those so registered will vote. And if the votes thus cast are totally random (quantum theory votes?), is the philanthropist who is paying for the votes just making sure that citizens, who might not do so, are exercising their civic duty? Or is the "philanthropist" specifically requiring registration of voters in specific areas (inner city) who vote 98% Democrat and might not otherwise be inclined to vote? And how do you measure if the bought and paid for votes were cast? Of course, there is the possibility that the "philanthropist" is just giving the vote registerer some busy work to justify "lining his pocket."

Last edited by detbuch; 10-04-2009 at 06:25 AM..
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
If someone is being paid to register voters, the person who is paying must have a reason.
Yes, the charter for the organization is to help low income people.

Quote:
I can't think of a reason to pay someone to register voters unless it is that those so registered will vote.
How about difficulty sourcing volunteers.

Quote:
And if the votes thus cast are totally random (quantum theory votes?), is the philanthropist who is paying for the votes just making sure that citizens, who might not do so, are exercising their civic duty? Or is the "philanthropist" specifically requiring registration of voters in specific areas (inner city) who vote 98% Democrat and might not otherwise be inclined to vote?
I don't think the charter is towards low income because they are more likely to vote democratic, it's just a natural product of the system.

Quote:
And how do you measure if the bought and paid for votes were cast? Of course, there is the possibility that the "philanthropist" is just giving the vote registerer some busy work to justify "lining his pocket."
There are no votes "bought and paid for."

Additionally, I'd note that voter registration is but one thing that Acorn has done for the inner city, and I don't believe any federal money has gone towards voter registration activities. I do think they need to provide more transparency of their books though...

-spence
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
PaulS

The government should give them the authority to throw away any registration that they think is fraudulant.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Yes, the charter for the organization is to help low income people.

How does paying someone to register to vote help low income people other than getting them to vote for the perpetuation of government handouts?

How about difficulty sourcing volunteers.

The ultimate reason to register for voting is to vote. You pay someone to register voters for the same reason you ask a volunteer to do it.

I don't think the charter is towards low income because they are more likely to vote democratic, it's just a natural product of the system.

You don't THINK(?) it is? How is it that low income and voting democratic is a natural product? Is there some inevitabale, natural link between the two? Are there low income areas that vote Republican? Has Acorn helped those areas?

There are no votes "bought and paid for."

If you can only get votes by paying someone to bounty hunt for registrations, you have, in effect, paid for those votes.

Additionally, I'd note that voter registration is but one thing that Acorn has done for the inner city, and I don't believe any federal money has gone towards voter registration activities. I do think they need to provide more transparency of their books though...
-spence
You don't BELIEVE(?) any federal money has gone into registration "activities?" What other money do they have? And what BELIEFS(?) can be founded on books that need more transparency?

What else has ACORN done? Is it another one of those groups that are supposed to "empower?" Like those housing scams in Chicago? I live in a Democrat city that has empowered itself into the dust. One teeny ray of hope is that (maybe out of some desparate moment of empowered hoplessness) it has elected a businesss man, of sorts, as mayor. Whether he can successfully fight the empowerment crowd remains to be determined. Another small ray is the influx of latinos (legal or otherwise) who are, without waiting for empowerment, actually working, revitalizing their neighborhood while the rest of the city continues to decay into the dust of empowerment. They create small businesses, do manual labor at prices people can afford to pay, work hard, fix and improve and spruce up their houses, have lots of children, are productive in the worst economy in the country while their empowered natural born fellow "citizens" can't find jobs, let their neighborhoods deteriorate and infest with crime and wait for the next empowerment group or next check to arrive.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
How does paying someone to register to vote help low income people other than getting them to vote for the perpetuation of government handouts?
I don't think Acorn is telling them how to vote, but I would agree that statistics indicate lower income urban areas don't tend to vote for the GOP.

Quote:
The ultimate reason to register for voting is to vote. You pay someone to register voters for the same reason you ask a volunteer to do it.
It's really about participation and the sense of empowerment.

Quote:
You don't THINK(?) it is? How is it that low income and voting democratic is a natural product?
Because low income areas are more dependent on others. A simple and common expression of this is found in the soup kitchen which are usually driven by religious rather than political beliefs. The Democratic platform certainly tends to share more of this "village" mentality.

Quote:
Are there low income areas that vote Republican? Has Acorn helped those areas?
Don't know...but I don't know of too many low income urban areas that vote Republican.

Quote:
You don't BELIEVE(?) any federal money has gone into registration "activities?" What other money do they have? And what BELIEFS(?) can be founded on books that need more transparency?
This is from what know...

Quote:
What else has ACORN done? Is it another one of those groups that are supposed to "empower?" Like those housing scams in Chicago?
I think voter registration is a small part of what the group has done. Their website lists a number of issues where they believe they've benefited the low income community.

I'm not sure how it's all funded, although what's clear is that they get a small amount of money from taxpayers, and even that has to go through a competitive bid process.

My position on this has been pretty simple. I'm not an Acorn supporter, but I think the GOP rhetoric on Acorn has been very misleading, if not simply dishonest.

-spence