Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 08-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
dannyplug1

BEST WAY TO TEMPORARILY INSTALL A TRANSDUCER

I am having trouble deciding which method to use in installing the transducer for my kayak. I could go with the foam block gooped to the kayak with the trans pushed into Vaseline. I could use electrical duct putty or I could use the mount in the hull that the 2014 hobies come with. I am leery about using the hobie mount in the hull as I trailer the kayak and fear banging the transducer. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Charlie
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

That hobie solution seems to be the best way to go, the problem with all other methods when you mount it inside the hull is that they all need to be redone at some point as airbubbles always end up developing.

the best inside the hull solution I have seen is the humminbird set up (but it only works with their ducers) here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-MHX.../dp/B001I7SMJK

I used this for two seasons, but because a tiny bit of water gets into the hull it slowly wore down the glue that holds the little frame thing on and the grease stuff that the ducer sits in. So I just re did it with super glue and reel grease and it works great.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
falkners

I have tried them all and this is what I now have in my three yaks and several friends for the past 6 or 7 seasons. Take a piece of 4" drainpipe about three or for inches high and contour the bottom edge to fit your hull as closely as possible. Sand the area of the mount with course sandpaper. Apply a generous bead of Marine Goop to the bottom edge and set it into the bottom. Let it cure overnight. Apply a second bead around the inside and outside corners. You can smooth it and work it with a wet finger . Let it cure overnight. Take the transducer and sand the bottom surface. Apply Goop to that surface and push the transduce down and place a weight evenly on top of it letting it cure overnight. I used a sock full of sand. Take a tube of Lexell caulk and pour it into the tube burying the transducer. This anchors the transducer and protects it from being jarred loose by the loading and unloading of the yak. The Lexell stays flexible for a few days so the whole process takes about a week. It will harden up in time but still stays very pliable You could probably do it faster but why not do it right. I have dropped my yaks and even had one picked up by a 40 knot wind and flipped over end to end three times and the transducer wasn't loosened.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
falkners

I just realized you wanted to temporarily mount your transducer. Sorry but my method is definitely not temporary.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
wdmso

electrical duct putty all the way works like a charm easily moved if need be no need to worry about it when beaching ,, no holes and it holds
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
SamSmith

Duct seal duct seal duct seal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
SamSmith is offline   Reply With Quote