Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Sgt Striper

Winter building plans?

Building season is on the way, anyone thinking of what to make this winter? I will probably look at some of the classic designs from years past and see what looks productive. Also make some jigs for cutting darters, etc. and some much needed maint. on the machinery.

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Hookedagain

I was just in the shop this morning. I agree, my machinery need attention too. I plan on working on some metal lips and needles this winter. Pencils are always a fill in for me and I also plan on some jig making for table saw....if it all get done is a different story.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Oh so much I want to do! Might do a run of Atom-40's for next season, working on a needlefish! Got a bunch of vintage knock-offs I want to do!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

I would like to try a nike
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Bluestreak A-40's fished good this year casting from a boat so I have to make some more. Not going crazy this year, didn't last year either. I like it better, find it more fun. What I like to fish and quality is my main goal.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Rockfish9

Liquidating my shop.. starting an eel farm so I can give numbskull eels so he can feel a tug on the line when striped bass become extinct.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Liquidating my shop.. starting an eel farm so I can give numbskull eels so he can feel a tug on the line when striped bass become extinct.
Screw that. I just plan to fish for weeds. I'm good at that. Not as good as this guy but then again he uses live bait when fishing for big weeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weedfish.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	57324  
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

LOL. Oh yeah forgot about that beauty.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 10-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
WoodyCT

Talk about a keepah
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
iamskippy

2 size Dannies, and i want to finish nailing down a darter. Came so close last year. Needles are on my scope for next year, to make and learn to fish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

First up will be bottle opener bodies for holiday gifts.
Second is to get a nova chuck, or better yet, just get Blondterror to make me one of those pepper grinders
Plug runs will begin with my spooks, as I had given them all away by August. Mack patterns did better than others... At least I had others catching on them.
After that some darters. Want to get a single belly hook version this season.
Follow that up with pencils, needles and first try at the eelie. I really should explore the different squid plugs too, since they were so prevalent up this way.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Screw that. I just plan to fish for weeds. I'm good at that. Not as good as this guy but then again he uses live bait when fishing for big weeds.
leave it to you to find the next sorce of entertainment... you're always ahead of the the thinking curve......Nice weed fish Paul!!!!

OK enough poking fun ... first i have to "un blow up" my shop.. I renovated the kitchen and Family room and the shop is now a storage area of all things unwanted and not put away...paths define the area..not the machinary..it's beyond disgusting.

I need to make some more of those chubby Mac pattern darters.. i did well with them late in the season... same with 6" needles and that slim metal lip swimmer i made a few years back...the only other need is bottles... I want to make a 6" one to go with the 8" one...the 6" is a good likeness to the squid that showed up last summer... I believe that also is what caused the success for the chubby darter out on the beach.. the color just happend to highlight the profile under the conditions I fished...although Mac patterns on anything seem to work better north of Boston anyway.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

lots to learn. Stocking wood, learning how this stuff works, and attempting to make a duplicator. I'll probably turn out a few plugs like needles or spooks. Nothing crazy. Did a few bluefish bats already out of mahogany, and one in ash. Other than that, who the hell knows. Also doing the bottle opener thing.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher View Post
lots to learn. Stocking wood, learning how this stuff works, and attempting to make a duplicator. I'll probably turn out a few plugs like needles or spooks. Nothing crazy. Did a few bluefish bats already out of mahogany, and one in ash. Other than that, who the hell knows. Also doing the bottle opener thing.
you don't live far from me... I'm in Reading.... once I clean up the Mess and "start" your welcome to come over any time I'm "working".. I can save you lots of trial and errors..

Old 10-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

Quote:
you don't live far from me... I'm in Reading.... once I clean up the Mess and "start" your welcome to come over any time I'm "working".. I can save you lots of trial and errors..
Awesome! Would love it! Thank you.

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Linesider82

-Skin plugs in a variety of diameters to utilize the population of frozen eels in my freezer.
-A run of wadd needles
-Make a jig for darters (I made one darter last season free hand and it actually worked),
-Going to try a few metal lips this year but they really aren't a plug I throw often.
-Glide baits (maybe)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	darter1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	57357  
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Take him up on it. It will be worth you time. I've been up to see Joe's pad. He's a great host. You will learn a lot.

Yeah Joe he likes to poke fun at people that catch stuff he can't. You know I did get a good fish the end of that day, one he told me I would loose on my tiny equipment and nasty area we were in. Ended up probably being my best fight I had all year considering the circumstances and what does he post a picture of ? me with a fish and 25 lbs of sea weed.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
pbadad

Nice Darter Matt. Wadds?? I have specs if you want. I'll be toying with a small sealed swimmer, surface/sub surface combo.

Billy D.
pbadad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Now that striper took "ambush predator" to the next level!

Trying to fix my lathe and if it works again, Floating Needle, and hopefully a heavy needle to deal with storm waters (not Wadd size) that only my A27 jig and a heavy bucktail can deal with.

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote