Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Are you saying that claiming to be a devout Catholic and regularly going to church absolves anyone from being a total phony?

When Christ threw out the moneychangers from the Temple and when he said that "many will seek to enter into Heaven, but only a few will be allowed" he was telling us that the majority of those professing to be faithful are hypocrites.

Biden is a hypocrite, a total phony. And his physical makeover with the Botox, hair transplants, and dental work makes Trump's "combover," that Rick referred to, look like amateur child's play. Biden is far better than Trump at the slick, political, phony, attempt to look like and be something he isn't.

But that isn't the important issue in the upcoming election. What we will be deciding is if the Progressive project of instituting an unlimited form of government will be made more possible.
Your rational explanation of why you support Tweety is that he is an authentic conservative, that’s hysterical
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Your rational explanation of why you support Tweety is that he is an authentic conservative, that’s hysterical
There you go again, putting words in my mouth. When did I ever say Trump was an authentic conservative? When did I even claim to have an idea of what an authentic conservative is supposed to be? I have often, if not usually, put quotes around "conservative" when I use the word because I don't have a solid understanding of a politically conservative philosophy. Same with "liberal." I certainly don't consider Democrats and their agenda to be liberal in any meaningful definition of the word outside of politics. And in politics it's just a phrase meaning to the left of some undefined "center," or the opposition to "conservative," whatever that is.

I have said that Trump has governed more conservatively than most recent Republican Presidents. But that was just a lazy, convenient use of the word as it is commonly used. If you think that's hysterical, tell me how so. I'm open to being corrected from some faulty notion, one that I admit, I picked up from so-called "conservative" commentators.

In any case, it doesn't concern me in terms of why I "support" him in the next election. I am not supporting him because of him, not because of whatever ism he is. As I have said many, many times, in case you haven't noticed, for me it is not about Trump or Biden. It is about stopping our march toward an unlimited Progressive regulatory, administrative state. One which will first de facto completely replace our constitutionally limited government system (which, BTW, it has already partially, even greatly, replaced) with its own unconstitutional regulatory agencies. Then it will ultimately replace it de jure by continued progressive interpretation of the Constitution, along with the ultimate actual rewriting, and/or replacement of the Constitution with its own preferred unlimited system of government.

Many, or most, Republicans have acted progressively or are actual Progressives. As I've said, we have been trending in that direction for a hundred years. But there are still enough folks around who oppose that, whether philosophically or unconsciously by dint of their notion of "rights" and some familiarity with the often referred to bill of rights, or some familial or other tradition to which they adhere.

But any meaningful difference between the Dems and Repubs is some residual, latent, adherence to the idea of constitutionally limited government in the Repubs, and the overwhelming desire at the core of the Progressive agenda to be in total power, to be rid of checks and balances, to not have any impediments to what they consider good government regardless of what some "outdated" parchment says.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

Better buy your own island
Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
No I’m calling religion the sham it is, how many lives lost and damaged over what?
so what does that make biden, if he identifies as a devout devotee of
a sham?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
No I’m calling religion the sham it is, how many lives lost and damaged over what?
a bitter one. maybe go to a catholic hospital sometime, or a homeless shelter, or a food bank. tell all the volunteers you see, that because 2,000 years of truth and beauty and enlighteent and comfort goes right over your head, therefore it’s a sham. tell us how that goes.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Got stripers, how many lives have been lost due to christianity, in the last 100 years? what role did christianity play in the ending of slavery and segregation?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #37
Pete F.
Canceled

Raise your hand if you are registered to vote and ready to fire Donald Trump in 86 days
Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Raise your hand if you are registered to vote and ready to fire Donald Trump in 86 days
so, how
many executive orders, exactly, is a potus allowed before you’d say its too many? by an amazing coincidence, is it more than obama
did but less than trump?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #39
Jim in CT

for literally hundreds of
millions of people, christianity represents their most deeply held beliefs. two thirds of the citizens of mexico are catholics. but got stripers can dismiss it all
as a sham. he knows better. but he cares more about mexicans than trump. because shut up.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

“More than 3½ years into his presidency, Trump increasingly finds himself minimized and ignored — as many of his more outlandish or false statements are briefly considered and then, just as quickly, dismissed.”
Old 08-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #41
detbuch

Quote:
Better buy your own island
This is your answer to saying Trump has governed more "conservatively" than most recent Republican Presidents is hysterical? You're hysterical.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #42
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
This is your answer to saying Trump has governed more "conservatively" than most recent Republican Presidents is hysterical? You're hysterical.
Tweety has refused to take serious action to combat the COVID-19 crisis. And as a result, he got what he’s always wanted — the U.S. isolated from the rest of the world.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
Tweety has refused to take serious action to combat the COVID-19 crisis.

This is an unequivocal lie. Or maybe just pitifully delusional.

And as a result, he got what he’s always wanted — the U.S. isolated from the rest of the world.
And this is a lie mixed with a gross exaggeration.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:58 AM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
And this is a lie mixed with a gross exaggeration.
Trump worked to setup a national covid testing plan today. Just kidding. Golf

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-10-2020, 05:31 AM   #45
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Got stripers, how many lives have been lost due to christianity, in the last 100 years? what role did christianity play in the ending of slavery and segregation?
I said ALL religion is a sham and collectively have killed millions.

How many deaths have been caused by religion? Here's a list of religiously motivated wars and genocides and their death tolls. Let me know if I missed any!
The Crusades: 6,000,000
Thirty Years War: 11,500,000
French Wars of Religion: 4,000,000
Second Sudanese Civil War: 2,000,000
Lebanese Civil War: 250,000
Muslim Conquests of India: 80,000,000
Congolese Genocide (King Leopold II): 13,000,000
Armenian Genocide: 1,500,000
Rwandan Genocide: 800,000
Eighty Years' War: 1,000,000
Nigerian Civil War: 1,000,000
Great Peasants' Revolt: 250,000
First Sudanese Civil War: 1,000,000
Jewish Diaspora (Not Including the Holocaust): 1,000,000
The Holocaust (Jewish and Homosexual Deaths): 6,500,000
Islamic Terrorism Since 2000: 150,000
Iraq War: 500,000
US Western Expansion (Justified by "Manifest Destiny"):20,000,000
Atlantic Slave Trade (Justified by Christianity): 14,000,000
Aztec Human Sacrifice: 80,000
AIDS deaths in Africa largely due to opposition to condoms: 30,000,000
Spanish Inquisition: 5,000
TOTAL: 195,035,000 deaths in the name of religion.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:20 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
“More than 3½ years into his presidency, Trump increasingly finds himself minimized and ignored — as many of his more outlandish or false statements are briefly considered and then, just as quickly, dismissed.”
i’ve asked you a very fair question, in multiple threads. you keep dodging. why is that?
Old 08-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:

How many deaths have been caused by religion? Here's a list of religiously motivated wars and genocides and their death tolls. Let me know if I missed any!
so muslim atrocities make christianity a sham. that is just dripping with sense.

how many children get abused in public school? how
many women get abused by their doctor? let’s do away with public schools medicine!

every single large group had bad apples. certain people will blame the entire group, usually for political reasons.

and for the third time, if it’s a sham, what does that say about the guy you’re going to vote for president, that he has devoted himself to a sham? doesn’t that make him some kind of dupe?

can’t have it both ways.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:

all aids deaths, you put at the feet of christianity. i missed that in my first pass at your post. whew. good luck with that. that’s not bonkers. nope.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #49
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
so muslim atrocities make christianity a sham. that is just dripping with sense.

how many children get abused in public school? how
many women get abused by their doctor? let’s do away with public schools medicine!

every single large group had bad apples. certain people will blame the entire group, usually for political reasons.

and for the third time, if it’s a sham, what does that say about the guy you’re going to vote for president, that he has devoted himself to a sham? doesn’t that make him some kind of dupe?

can’t have it both ways.
Boy what did I strike a nerve and no Jim I don’t and never have voted based on what religion the candidate belongs to, because I really don’t care. I’d vote for anyone with a pulse running against the biggest sham and con every placed in the White House.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

White nationalism isn’t compatible with Christianity no matter how much you try to make it so.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #51
Pete F.
Canceled

The great American cardinal Avery Dulles when another Jesuit seminarian asked him if a Catholic could ever vote for a pro choice politician. Dulles quipped back, “I live in New York. When do I ever not?”
(& Avery received communion daily!)

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
White nationalism isn’t compatible with Christianity no matter how much you try to make it so.
who is trying to join white nationalism and christianity?

do you understand that christians led the charge to abolish slavery and segregation?

for the 5th time now, please tell us the maximum
number of executive orders a potus can sign, before you’d conclude it was too many? why are you so scared of that question, pete?
Old 08-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
Boy what did I strike a nerve and no Jim I don’t and never have voted based on what religion the candidate belongs to, because I really don’t care. I’d vote for anyone with a pulse running against the biggest sham and con every placed in the White House.
now you’re
moving the goalposts.

you said all religion is a sham. that necessarily means that you believe that joe biden got duped by a sham. but you trust h
to be president?

this isn’t about picking one religion or the other. you said all are shams.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #54
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
now you’re
moving the goalposts.

you said all religion is a sham. that necessarily means that you believe that joe biden got duped by a sham. but you trust h
to be president?

this isn’t about picking one religion or the other. you said all are shams.
Just because I have no use for religion, doesn’t mean others don’t have that need, my point which you have twisted into I don’t know what, is that millions have died in the name of religion.

I’d trust anyone the Democrats want to run to do a better job than this con man and religion has nothing to do with my choice. And if any of you younger workers are thinking your social security is an integral part of your retirement plan, Trump will be going after that if elected.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #55
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just because I have no use for religion, doesn’t mean others don’t have that need, my point which you have twisted into I don’t know what, is that millions have died in the name of religion.

I’d trust anyone the Democrats want to run to do a better job than this con man and religion has nothing to do with my choice. And if any of you younger workers are thinking your social security is an integral part of your retirement plan, Trump will be going after that if elected.
moving the goalposts again. big time.

saying “i personally have no use for religion, but i respect others right to make a different choice”, is very different from
saying “religion is a sham
that does more harm
than good.”.

that was funny. twisting like a contortionist.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:

SS was screwed by the demographic/mathematical effect of the baby boomers, and by the refusal of the nation to adjust for that. that’s waaayy bigger than trump.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #57
detbuch

Quote:

Yes, any Democrat would do a better job of Progressively centralizing the American system of government. And to transfer more power from the States to the federal government. And folks who think that the President should have the power to do a better job of regulating our lives has no notion of how our constitutional system is supposed to work. And if you think Trump has the constitutional power all on his own to destroy social security, you have not only no idea of how our constitutional system is supposed to work, you're imbued with the notion that the President is supposed to be some Progressive form of autocrat.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #58
Pete F.
Canceled

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #59
detbuch

Quote:
It's too bad for those who want to vote for Jesus Christ. He's not on the ballot. Nor would he choose to be. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. Few are those who will be allowed into heaven. Voting for Jesus surrogates won't get you there. Worshipping God and attending to your relationship with God is your only hope of salvation. Politically worshipping false idols will cast your soul into the eternal fire.

And if you think Progressives are concerned about you getting to any other heaven than the one they create, You are most likely heading to Hell. Jesus would not favor you for choosing to place your spiritual future into the hands secular government politicians.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:28 PM   #60
Pete F.
Canceled

Lets Go Darwin