Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Back Pay

Those "no" votes came from Reps. Justin Amash (Mich.), Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Glen Grothman (Wis.), Thomas Massie (Ky.), Chip Roy (Texas) and Ted Yoho (Fla.).

I feel for these government workers, but apparently these seven felt spending money for back pay is wrong, but wasting it on a sea to shining sea wall is ok, hypocrisy at its finest.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
PaulS

Well I'm sure they offered to forgo their pay so all is well.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
wdmso

The bills been on Trumps desk since the 11th still not signed ... the bill expires in 10 with no action from Trump

Only 1 reason not to sign he’ll lose his hostages.. once they know they’ll get reimbursed
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

In case you are actually concerned as to "Why"

Roy issued a statement on Friday explaining his vote.

"There is zero question that we should pay federal workers. I do not, however, support putting federal spending on autopilot indefinitely or authorizing future pay irrespective of the circumstances," he said. "I would gladly have voted to pay federal employees at the end of the current lapse, but we should do so methodically and always ensure we are managing the budget wisely."

Biggs said in a phone interview with The Hill on Friday that his main opposition to the legislation was the permanency of the back pay regarding other potential shutdowns.

"I would have voted for it, but because they made it permanent, so that we would not be as a legislative body considering that after every shutdown, you're actually moving to this thing where it becomes untenable," he said. "You just put the government on autopilot and I don't think that is a wise thing to do."

Gosar issued a statement after the vote saying the bill removes an incentive to resolve the shutdown swiftly.

"This ill-conceived legislation takes away a useful tool in holding government accountable," he said. "Shutdowns have historically served to push both parties to compromise and resolution. This bill eliminates the impact and urgency a shutdown creates and rewards bureaucrats and swamp dwellers."

Massie made similar remarks in a statement saying the bill "guarantees retroactive pay for every possible future shutdown, which will only make it easier for politicians to cause future shutdowns."

"This is irresponsible and I want to prevent future shutdowns from happening," he said.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

I don't know that I would disagree.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin