Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #31
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
more and more businesses are moving out of cities, look at the massive growth in suburban campuses. Why invest to support a declining need?
Even though more businesses are moving out of cities does not mean commercial real estate demand, and with it total people employed inside cities is declining.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #32
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post

There aren't any easy answers. Train travel between cities is going to look mighty attractive come the day that we spend as much money per gallon on gas as the Europeans do, or we piss off the wrong sheik and have to spend 2 hours in line on odd/even days waiting to get enough fuel to get to Grandma's for Thanksgiving.

The big problem is, we ignored it for too long. We should have been looking for solutions like this 36 years ago when our dependence on foreign oil was brought to light by the first embargo.
For sure. Typical, wait till it's too late and too expensive.

ex. What happened to all the talk of drilling, or not, when gas was $4 a gallon.
Now that it's under $2 ,talk has ceased until it goes up to $5 in the future and
no cheap alternative energy sources have been developed.
Imho drilling for domestic oil has to be ,at least in the 10year plan, if there is such a thing.

" Choose Life "
Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #33
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
For sure. Typical, wait till it's too late and too expensive.

ex. What happened to all the talk of drilling, or not, when gas was $4 a gallon.
Now that it's under $2 ,talk has ceased until it goes up to $5 in the future and
no cheap alternative energy sources have been developed.
Imho drilling for domestic oil has to be ,at least in the 10year plan, if there is such a thing.
If I remember correctly, offshore drilling and drilling in Alaska is not financially beneficial until oil is over $60 a barrel.

People are stupid. They focus on what's happening this second. This country doesn't hold the capability of thinking about tomorrow.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 04-20-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #34
Cpt. Crunch
formally bssb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
If I remember correctly, offshore drilling and drilling in Alaska is not financially beneficial until oil is over $60 a barrel.

People are stupid. The focus on what's happening this second. This country doesn't hold the capability of thinking about tomorrow.
and most are conservatives.

Currently, 61% of Americans approve of the way that Barack Obama is handling his job as president while 26% disapprove.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #35
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Crunch View Post
and most are conservatives.
So, you're clearly the exception that prove's the rule.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 04-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #36
Cpt. Crunch
formally bssb

Currently, 61% of Americans approve of the way that Barack Obama is handling his job as president while 26% disapprove.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #37
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
The focus on what's happening this second. This country doesn't hold the capability of thinking about tomorrow.
Yup, you got that right JD.
Politicians will only act when there is an emergency/perceived emergency,
or when something is popular with people and it will bring them VOTES.

People that don't understand that are not facing reality,
in addition most people are so busy working to make a living they don't have the time to keep up and digest what is really going on.
Politcians depend on that.

It's not about what's best, it's about VOTES.

" Choose Life "
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #38
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
It's not about what's best, it's about VOTES.
This is my principal issue with politics and why I'm a fan of politicians like Ron Paul - he doesn't mind pissing some people off.

While the man may be a bit wacky, I appreciate that he goes against the grain. Of course he has to pay attention to what his constituents desire, but he actually tries to look towards the future.

One of the reasons we are in the mess we are in is due to a major shortcoming with politicians:

They are reactive, as opposed to proactive.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #39
Backbeach Jake

I would gladly buy a ticket that costs what I pay to drive the 300 mile round trip every week between Clinton and N.Truro. The foools and idiots on the highway are starting to get to me. If I could dine while I watched the scenery fly by would be a very welcome bonus.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #40
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Ya Fred, double deck observation and dinning cars too.

I hear ya.

" Choose Life "
Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #41
Cpt. Crunch
formally bssb

conservatives just hate to see ANYTHING get done. They would much rather get elected and do nothing at all.