Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 10-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
Thermoklein

RI 'Yak advice for total noob, please!

Hi folks - I'm brand new here.

I met one of your number, name of Rob S. at Bass Rock Road last Sunday. He was a total gentleman and as we chatted, he told me about this site. I'm very excited to be part of it.

A little about me. I'm in my late 40's, live near Northampton MA and have a good deal of experience fishing the general Wickford-to- 'Gansett area, Pt. Jude, Galilee, as well as a bit at Charleston and the back ponds, etc., mostly as a teen in the 70's. We did 90% of our fishing from the rocks back then with 9' glass Charlie Murat custom spinning rods sporting Penn 704 reels.

After roughly 3 decades "out of the game" I'm trying hard to resume fishing the area. I literally just bought a new Hobie Outback SUV with Mirage system and plan to use it along as much of the RI coast as weather/water conditions and my personal 'nads permit. I love the idea of having both hands free to fish and deal with things while still moving over the water.

I've owned and used boats and canoes all my life - I'm not a new sailor. But I'm new to kayaking. Iam looking for ANY and all advice, warnings, suggestions, ideas, thoughts and opinions as possible. I have read through a lot of this forum already and I'm very excited to see how many 'yakkers are chasing Old Linesides.

Please share. Like Ross Perot, I'm all ears!
Thermoklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Raven

Talking thermoklein

welcome to S-B....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
hooked

Hi.

I don't know much about RI so I can't help with what's going on there. I would suggest that you dress like you're going to spend time in the water (not just on it) for the rest of this season and into the start of next.

Have fun with the new setup.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Like he said, Dress like you are gonna be in the water...
it is cold out on the water this time of year...

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Oops, and welcome to the board.....

Old 10-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Adrian

Welcome aboard!

As already stated, dress for immersion.

Do a google lookup on "cold water paddling" and you'll find lots of good stuff.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 AM   #7
Raven

dressing for emersion...

so ..... we're talking wetsuit yes....?

thats what i have been thinking lately

and so that'll add 300+ bucks to my yak price.
or more?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
hooked

Breathable waders with a drytop is my preference. If the top has latex gaskets around the wrist and neck and a good waist seal (neoprene with velcro flaps) you can stay pretty dry if you dunk. You should be able to find a decent top for about $150.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Thermoklein

Thanks for the input! I have plenty of options for dressing. I have neoprene waders, breathable waders AND a wetsuit. I don't have the dry-top yet; maybe in the Spring.

What about launching in the surf near rocks? Do you generally use a gaff or Boga-grip to control fish at the side of the kayak? Does anyone have a strobe on a pole for extra visibility and safety? Any advice there?
Thermoklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
SAXATILUS

Always have the boga and at night always a light that I epoxied onto a telescopic aluminum pole that fits into a ram tube in the back. I also go with the wader/dry-top combo, work great for me. Also never without pliars capable of cutting a 4x vmc treble, learned that one the hard way.
SAXATILUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
toddonbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermoklein View Post
Thanks for the input! I have plenty of options for dressing. I have neoprene waders, breathable waders AND a wetsuit. I don't have the dry-top yet; maybe in the Spring.

What about launching in the surf near rocks? Do you generally use a gaff or Boga-grip to control fish at the side of the kayak? Does anyone have a strobe on a pole for extra visibility and safety? Any advice there?
Don't use a strobe, use a steady white light. I would suggest taking the Yak out several times without all the gear to get a feel for it. Practice your beach landings and Kayak re-enties. Always wear your PFD with a knife attached, bring a handheld radio, etc. I think what alot of people are shocked to find is just how much the combination of current and wind will effect your trip so always be prepared for it. Leave a note for someone, as to where you will be launching from and expected time back.

It is absolutely awesome being pulled around by a fatty bass

toddonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #12
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

All very good advise right there, and none of it is optional IMHO

Old 10-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
falkners

A Boga or some other type of lip gripper is a necessity. Also, if you haven't already, change out the rear trebles for Siwash hooks on your plugs and pinch down all your barbs so you can unhook your fish and yourself more easily. Pick yourself up a tube & worm set-up....they work awesome from the kayak.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote