Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 09-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Fall Kayaking Gear

Now that the weather is turning cooler and water temps are dropping, I was wondering what other kayakers wear to stay warm, especially if you have a SOT as I do.

Do you wear a wet suit, a "farmer john," what do you prefer?

This is my first year with a kayak so I'm curious how everyone stays warm and dry.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
toddonbi

Dry top, breathable waders,PFD, TWO belts, and chota breathable mukluks, hat, gloves,etc....and I always leave a pretty detailed "float plan" before I head out the door.

toddonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
toddonbi

Forgot to mention the Mysterioso Line of first layer clothing: top, "long johns, and sock. Breathable and super comfy. I would recommend them to anybody out in the cold.

toddonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

I have dry pants and semi dry top from extra sport with mysterioso underneath and neoprene booties. This is good protection for air temps in the low 60's and water temps around 60. This same set up is good on night runs on cool summer nights. Mysterioso can also be worn alone on days or nights when shorts and a t shirt is not enough to feel comfortable.

When water temps are below 60 with air temp below 60 I wear full dry gear. I elect neoprene waders, full dry top, mysterioso with additional multiple layers underneath, Boots and 2 pairs of wool socks, 2 belts worn over the dry top.

Before wearing this set up on open water make sure you test this system out by doing a float test. It doesnt have to be every trip but atleast try it once to make sure it works. If you dump on open water with waders filled you will never be able to get back in. Be safe.

If you have the budget you can buy a full dry suit from 400 and up. Kokatat makes the Supernova for a good price. Wear layers underneath for insulation.

I like the 50/50 rule. 50 air 50 water, anything less I am better off staying at home tying flies. I did the Salmon run up at lake winni in NH this spring. 36 air, 40 water. I was dressed like the good year man and was only able to stay on the water a few hours. It was cold.

Last edited by ridler72; 09-04-2006 at 11:18 PM..

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote