Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Classifieds Area - NO COMMERCIAL POSTS WHATSOEVER » Classifieds

Classifieds Buy,Sell, or Swap for members only please. NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING - thanks... And if you sell something like a boat through here - throw us a couple bucks for the site please :D

Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
BigSurFisher450

WTB: beachmasters

Does anyone have any extra beachmaster atom jr's or have one or two they can part with? I will pay your asking price within reasonable limits thanks.
BigSurFisher450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Bronko

Watching ebay huh?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Pm sent

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
Terence

why do the Beachmasters fetch such high prices? Is it supply and demand?

AKA MDM
Terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

haha first post, sell me something so I can turn around and sell it on ebay. Are you for real?

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Apparently my prices were too high if he was gonna flip em

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post
why do the Beachmasters fetch such high prices? Is it supply and demand?
Basically. From all of the internet blabber about them over the last few years, demand has gone up. The supply hasn't. Bobby makes all the plugs he is able to make and still have a life, and that's that. It's a small operation. I don't think that in his wildest imagination, he ever anticipated what a hot item they'd become.

Used to be you could walk into a dozen shops in NY and LI and buy all you wanted. CMS had a whole aisle of them not too long ago. They were a well made and reasonably priced plug. Best wooden swimmers for the dollar that you could buy, for a long time. I used to buy Atom Jrs for 2/$25 at shows from Pro Fishing in Flushing. But no more. They sell like hotcakes, and unfortunately, a lot of people buy them to flip on eBay. Bobby charges shops a fair price. It's the aftermarket sales that drive the price thru the roof.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

His plugs hold up that's why. They last and the money you pay for wooden plugs, you might as well get something decent that you know works. They also swim like they are supposed to right out of the package and are all alike. Proven fish catchers. simple really.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
His plugs hold up that's why. They last and the money you pay for wooden plugs, you might as well get something decent that you know works. They also swim like they are supposed to right out of the package and are all alike. Proven fish catchers. simple really.
Have they always been as durable and functional?
luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds48 View Post
Have they always been as durable and functional?
I think so, but as with all builders as they progress, things get refined.
First I knew of them was back when CMS started selling them back in the 90's so I don't have any early stuff. Metal lip makes a great plug

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Flaptail

I used to buy Beachmasters ( though at the time, Charlie P. at CMS wouldn't let on they were Beachmasters) for 11.00 bucks apiece.

They were packaged in a CMS labeled bag. I caught so mnay fish on them I begged Charlie to order more. I wrote about them several times in early issues of OTW calling them "CMS Atoms and CMS Dannys) Charlie finally ordered more and when they came in it was a big box of mixed plugs no hooks and no bags just all thrown in.

I had my pick and there were always a few odd ones thrown in in odd colors or needles or darters. Bobby finally contacted me to tell me what they really were and told me since I started writing about them that his sales orders from Massachusetts took off but he only makes so many a year and when they are done that's it till next year. But he is honest about that and tells everyone of the shops that order before they seal the deal so there are no surprises when the order is recieved. You get what you order and the amount agreed on but after that, well......

Now the interblab and the quality plus his ties to Danny Pichney ( they are essentially what Danny would be building if still alive) has made his plug a collectible which is a shame because first and foremost they are meant to fish with and as far as wooden Dannys and Atoms go his are the best you can get. They are durable, they all swim perfectly and they outcatch any others of similar design.

I buy them to fish. This collectible thing is really out of hand and the price you pay is actually way inflated by the shops that have them, and why not? It's as American as Apple Pie, the higher the demand the higher the price and the market bears it. The collector resale trade like e-bay is what is driving the cost and creating the "need" to have psyche.

Blame the internet for it when you can't get any. some shops are taking pre-orders already on Danny's which are due out by early summer.

But if a mid seventies light pink Gibbs bottle plug can bring over fifty bucks and the bidding ain't done yet, who knows where a scale patterned Beachmaster will go.

I must have 10 or 12 of those pink bottles, hmmm..........

Last edited by Fishpart; 03-29-2007 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: As you wish Steve

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
wader-dad

I met Bobby a few weeks ago at Pat Abate's Shop in CT. In talking to him, you get the sense that he thinks out every minute detail of making his plugs. Just common sense things but so important. Just what goes into making the strength of metal lips was an example. Maybe thats why he is metal lips. Fascinating to talk to.

If you meet him ask him how he got stainless steel for Pichney after Danny retired from Con ED.
wader-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
BigSurFisher450

Not looking to sell just add. Good try throwing Timber maybe next time. If theres anything else i want you to try and bust on my a$$ about, ill pm you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collection.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	20922  
BigSurFisher450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

what, no dartas, needles, or eelies

nice collection though

just came across a little strong on your first post wanting to buy beachmasters @ a reasonable $ when everyone is dumping them on fleabay.

welcome to the site, good bunch of guys here
jim sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #15
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSurFisher450 View Post
Not looking to sell just add. Good try throwing Timber maybe next time. If theres anything else i want you to try and bust on my a$$ about, ill pm you
Or u can just PM me..
I'll set ya straight..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSurFisher450 View Post
everyone is tough at a keyboard.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote