Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Dumb

Sen. John Kerry skips town on sails tax - BostonHerald.com

I hope he's held accountable for paying the taxes now. Amazing.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
scottw

not the beautiful people
Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Raven

richies know how to avoid - i mean- save a buck or two
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
FishermanTim

I love the line by the Kerry spokesperson: "The boat was designed and purchased from a company in RI, and it's based in Newport for long-term maintenance, upkeep and charter purposes, not for tax reasons."

Yeah, and I'm married to Pamela Anderson.

Sen. Kerry is all for raising OUR taxes, but make him have to pay the same taxes (relatively speaking, since we all can't afford 7 million dollar yachts on our wives' dimes) and he once again proves exactly where his priorities are.

Gee, it's a shame that there aren't any capable, reputable, legitimate yacht dealers in THIS state, because I'm sure that they could use the business instead of "getting the business"?

Oh, and Mr. Kerry, (I didn't vote for him, so he's not MY senator)
The name is David Ortiz, not Manny Ortez (when Kerry displayed his vast knowledge of Boston sports)

To paraphrase an old baseball mantra: It's just Kerry being Kerry!
Maybe we can give Kerry the same kind of send off?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
scottw

more "shared sacrafice"....noticing a trend?...Kerry with a multi-million dollar yacht...Gore with mult-million dollar mansions, boats...Rev, Wright in an expensive gated community with a big trust fund....Obama and spouse just in-your-face lavishly pissing money away on themselves and their fellow elites....the guys that phony pander to the least among us sure live quite lavishly....and shamelessly...
I'll give Clinton credit...he does not appear to flaunt his success and wealth but I think he's spending all of his money on Ho's and is trying to be discreet....
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I dont really have a problem with this, Newport is a massive sailing mecca and thats where the boat is harbored. Now when I see the Isabel on the bay I can moon it.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
spence

I love it, you have our state lowering taxes to encourage the local economy and you guys still have to bitch about it.

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I love it, you have our state lowering taxes to encourage the local economy and you guys still have to bitch about it.

-spence
spence, Kerry doesnt represent "your state"

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
spence, Kerry doesnt represent "your state"
I never said he did.

I said our state was lowering taxes to encourage business.

The article clearly indicates that if he wants to officially move the boat to Nantucket he's legally required to pay under the law. By keeping it in RI he limits his access which diminishes it's value.

You guys are coming to a conclusion with limited information. It's quite plausible that the designer of the boat wants it in Newport and this was agreed to ahead of time.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 07-23-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
fishbones

Quote:
I never said he did.

I said our state was lowering taxes to encourage business.

You guys are coming to a conclusion with limited information. It's quite plausible that the designer of the boat wants it in Newport and this was agreed to ahead of time.

-spence
"It's quite plausible"? Now it seems that you're coming to conclusions about why the boat is in Newport. I think it's more plausible that Mr. Heinz is trying to avoid paying close to half a million dollars in taxes.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
"It's quite plausible"? Now it seems that you're coming to conclusions about why the boat is in Newport. I think it's more plausible that Mr. Heinz is trying to avoid paying close to half a million dollars in taxes.

yeah, AND he bought that yacht with some other guy's hard earned wealth.....shocker
Teresa Heinz Kerry is the heiress to the Heinz fortune. She inherited her vast fortune from her late husband, Senator Henry John Heinz....
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:

-spence
tax cuts for the rich...apparently
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
fishbones

Quote:

-spence
Do your realize that since Kerry is a citizen of MA, he's not helping his local economy by pulling these shenanigans? You just keep helping your local economy by continuing to get your mainicures and pedicures in RI, pretty boy.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Do your realize that since Kerry is a citizen of MA, he's not helping his local economy by pulling these shenanigans? You just keep helping your local economy by continuing to get your mainicures and pedicures in RI, pretty boy.
So is Kerry obligated to buy ALL his goods and services locally?

He probably has bought a few suits in NYC in his life, shame, and with Louis right there...

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
fishbones

Quote:
So is Kerry obligated to buy ALL his goods and services locally?

He probably has bought a few suits in NYC in his life, shame, and with Louis right there...

-spence
I thought you were smarter than that, Spence. It's not about where it's bought, it's about where it's used. It's called a sales and use tax. You can buy a car in NH where there's no sales tax, but if you want to register it in the state you live, you pay the tax on it. If Mr. Heinz wants to use his boat in MA, which coincidentally is where he lives, he should register it in MA. Do you really think he's going to only use the boat out of Newport?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
I thought you were smarter than that, Spence. It's not about where it's bought, it's about where it's used. It's called a sales and use tax. You can buy a car in NH where there's no sales tax, but if you want to register it in the state you live, you pay the tax on it. If Mr. Heinz wants to use his boat in MA, which coincidentally is where he lives, he should register it in MA. Do you really think he's going to only use the boat out of Newport?
It looks like the boat is being used as a charter for a good part of the year, in which case being based in Newport would have many business advantages...LIKE LOWER TAXES.

Hell, this was probably written into the original purchase contract...

P.S. I'm still pretty damn smart.

-spence
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

you betcha sweet bippie you'd be bitching if he was from your state and he moored his tinker toy here.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I hope he realized it been lame fishing the bay this year. Its going to be tough to get that boat up the river to snag pogies
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Kerry may need to pay $500k tax on yacht

watch the video. Classic.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #20
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

This guy is KILLING ME

Kerry Promises 'Prompt' Yacht Tax Payment - Politics News Story - WCVB Boston