Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
So... One faculty was from John Hopkins, that doesn't mean 'John Hopkins Says'. Also, note the authors were economists, not public health professionals, epidemiologists, virologists etc... That doesn't invalidate it but I would have liked to see a more diverse background of authors on a meta analysis of this type...

So, then why is this one (flawed) meta analysis is making the rounds today as the proof that lock downs didn't work....

A "Meta Analysis" that used 34 studies (out of the thousands that have been done) examining these approaches to the mandates.

A meta analysis that limited studies so they were only by economists, political scientists AND NOT epidemiologists, virologists and other public health backgrounds.

A meta analysis that lumped 'lock downs' to include almost any mandate (masking, capacity limits, restaurants closing early etc..) and also not 'when' these 'lock downs' were implemented

Now why would these authors of this meta analysis (and yes, I keep restating the type of study for a reason) limit it to those few studies and lump everything together as a 'lock down'...

Perhaps to get the answer the study authors wanted?

And perhaps it is making the rounds this week because of confirmation bias?
all possibilities.

but again, if lockdowns were the answer, i’d think we’d see lower death rates in states with strictest lockdowns. are we seeing that with any consistency?

Everyone ( and i do it to, but not constantly) only pays attention when they see what they want to see.

if we should only be listening to epidemiologists ( which makes sense) please explain why teachers unions are wielding so
much influence in all this?

it’s been a largely political
exercise from day one, that applies to both sides.

if you want to say policy should
be formulated by epidemiologists, fine. But when the left takes its marching orders from teachers unions in terms of school policies, you sort of surrender your ability to make that argument, don’t you? in terms of school policy, we’ve ignored the science in return for appeasing teachers unions, and there’s no way you can make that wrong. The data is clear that schools arent transmission hot spots. i have no idea why that is, but it’s clearly the case. Yet we keep schools closed when teachers unions snap their fingers.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-07-2022 at 09:23 AM..