Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #31
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I'd better grab my hackeysack and make a sign. Obama the warmonger. Murderer!
End this(less) War!
How about the Obama bumper sticker with the peace sign as the "O"
freakin hippocrates

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #32
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
If you'd care to read above, I asked a number of times what the goal is aka, the end game.
Fire bomb their villages? That will be the day.

Fire bombing villages made of stone really doesn't help.
These people in Afghanistan have been oppressed for years, the Taliban is a bunch of terrorist extremists. Just much stronger then the rival warlords in that the control most of the opium production and export now.

Our puppet government in Afghanistan is corrupt and without power, unfortunately.

We do need an agenda and a clear end-game. I have friends who have been in there twice and the last tour found it much worse in regards to Taliban operations than it was the first time. The first time he was in an advisory mode with feuding warlords, the second he was operational deployed with US forces, much like what is going to happen now

At the moment it appears to be diplomacy by force, however every time we knock someone down, yet another faction or splintered factions surface in their place.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #33
JohnnyD

Quote:
End this(less) War!
freakin hippocrates
Hypocrite? How exactly is he a hypocrite? I'm talking about Obama, not the delusional people that put bumper stickers with big peace signs or any other crap on their cars?

He campaigned that he was going to get the troops out of Iraq and "refocus our attention on the the true War on Terror." Well, the Iraqis forced Bush's hand by stating the want US out of their by 2010 right before the actual election. Obama can't do anything about that.

He didn't campaign as a peace-loving hippie. He's always stated that Afghanistan is where the focus should be and Bush's decisions created a terrible over-extension of the military.

It would be quite ignorant to assume that Obama or his campaign were the ones who created those Obama peace sign stickers. And I think the people that put them on their cars are just as ignorant.

Again I ask, how is Obama a hypocrite with regards to the Middle East?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Fire bombing villages made of stone really doesn't help.
Not everything is made of stone.

But the point is, the warlords who really control Afghanistan are just looking out for their own interests and will never respect a central authority. Even the Taliban had only limited control over the country.

Afghanistan will never be a democracy or anything that resembles one. They like to fight as well, on a documentary once a proud Afghan remarked that to them war was like a habbit.

-spence
Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #35
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
They like to fight as well, on a documentary once a proud Afghan remarked that to them war was like a habbit.

-spence
awesome! 17,000 more Americans for them to shoot at!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #36
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Quote:
End this(less) War!
freakin hippocrates
oh yeah, you're not trying to start something at all

I gotta admit, I respect your persistance on this one

Spence hit right on the head, he was elected on the basis of shifting the war to afganistan to go get Bin Laden. Show us some proof that al queda and bin laden have not and are not hiding out in afganistan and you may have a point. It's already been proven that Iraq did not have WMD's so those "hippocrates" have a pretty good leg to stand on, wouldn't you say?

Although I gotta admit that's a good one about the peace sign with the O, old O's no pacifist on afganistan
Old 02-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #37
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I wasnt initially but my motives evolved. It shocks me how we have different measures for Bush vs. Obama.
A large contingency that backed Obama are anti war, period. hence the peace sign bumper stickers. I want to see if they turn against him as he escalates this war. Remember the RNC convention? They were mauling people! Do you think that will repeat itself? I look at this stuff as a scientist. You see a situation and determine the response. My initial thought? Most of these protestors dont have a clue about Afhan vs Iraq and we all about repubs and Bush suck. And now that Os in office, they wont even care, since there guy is in. Hence - hippoctates.

Secondly, without a plan and clear objectives, I feel like we are repeating Iraq. Something you Obama supporters should be questioning. The summary of the responses above are " he said he would, so he did". That doenst cut it, at least not for me.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #38
spence

Good lord you're loosing it...

The Pentagon has asked for more troops to help keep violence down during the upcoming elections. Obama pledged to focus on Afghanistan so he's approved the request.

You make it sound like he's off warmongering or something. Obama isn't a pacifist either by the way.

-spence
Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Good lord you're loosing it...

The Pentagon has asked for more troops to help keep violence down during the upcoming elections. Obama pledged to focus on Afghanistan so he's approved the request.

You make it sound like he's off warmongering or something. Obama isn't a pacifist either by the way.

-spence
the troops are to be there for 5 years, do some research before you insult me.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #40
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Not everything is made of stone.

But the point is, the warlords who really control Afghanistan are just looking out for their own interests and will never respect a central authority. Even the Taliban had only limited control over the country.

Afghanistan will never be a democracy or anything that resembles one. They like to fight as well, on a documentary once a proud Afghan remarked that to them war was like a habbit.

-spence
So then why are we even there?
Protecting a populace for an election that won't even matter?
The Taliban will be at every voting place, if you vote your'e dead, someplace sometime, probably after they kill your family or make you watch them do it.