Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Flaptail

Question Would be intersted to know......

How many of you that own or have owned a Lamiglas XRA rod, had it fail on you and under what conditions?

Need to know. Heard lot's of things good and bad but the breaking thing seems to be a popular comment.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Yup..
broke a 1321 at a breachway on a mid-teen fish, 20lb mono trying to get it up and over a rock to land it.. partly use error partly a bad rod... imho...
sent it back, got a 1201M and never looked back!

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

10 years and hundreds of fish--in the Canal and elsewhere--on my XRA 1322 and still going strong.

The one I worry about the most is my "old" 1204 (current 1203).

I also have two 126 1MHs and a 1205, which I think are pretty bulletproof. I fell with one of the 126's two nights ago on the Canal, but fortunately it struck the rock right on the first guide wrap.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail View Post
How many of you that own or have owned a Lamiglas XRA rod, had it fail on you and under what conditions?

Need to know. Heard lot's of things good and bad but the breaking thing seems to be a popular comment.
Flap,

Have the XRA1203 in spinning, XRA1205 in both spinning and conventional. No problems, ever. I think the breaking thing is human error, to be honest with you. Would be interested to hear which models, and what types of problems people have had that you are aware of. Actually, I never have problems with any of my rods, regardless of brand/model. The only unconfirmed rumor I've heard with the XRA's was the old 1204, but this is unconfirmed. Might have heard it online somewhere.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Flaptail

BB, saw Bassmaster (remember him?) break two and had a few other friends break thiers. I know what your thinking if you know BM but he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary as I was there watching when it happend.

Course I have some reservations on Arra series after seeing that. Stiffy got a nice XRA rod wrapped last year by the CMS boys and he can cast well with it on the canal, still can't match my old JK Fisher but he comes close and Numbskull just wrapped a sweet conventional with one ( and of course I enjoyed busting his balls with the breaking thing and now he's paranoid).

Just interested in seeing if anyone else had probs. Seemed to hear more about them then other makes though in the 70's we broke a lot of graphite rods while casting on the beach at night. Sounded like a 22 going off and those purple sparks were cool.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
pops02

I broke a 1084 two years ago, fishing the backside after the 3 week heavy blow in the fall. Retrieving a 1.5 oz Habs needlfish, i caught a big clump of eel grass/ sea weed and didnt feel like hand lining the lure in and the rod snapped 8" from the tip. 5 minutes later, the plug and seaweed was swept 50 yards to my left but also, i didnt think i was putting too much pressure on the rod either, but it was replaced by lamiglas
pops02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

i got an early xra 1322 ... says 1-5 but I've never cast more than 3.5 ,,,sweet blank ,,,NP... I baby it as far as handling and care ,,,no nicks or scartches in it ..

got a 121 3m ,, would have to run that over with the car to break it ...

I watched in horror, as bm reeled his terminal tackle thru all the guides and hooked it up on the reel, like he did it all the time .. He's kinda rough with stuff ,, I wouldn't use him as a bench mark ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
JeffH
Boat by Day Surf by Night

Two 1204's one 18" down and one 9" down. It must be me because the designer said it was the first two he has ever heard of
JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Krispy

I blew a 1204 dead center loading on cast. Lami said it was a nick in the blank. My 1322 is battle marred, some deep into the graphite, but its been fine for a couple years like that

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
SeaWolf

most of the stories i have heard regarding the arra's involved the initial run of the 1084. this blank was different from others in the lineup as it was faster in action, similar to all stars and rainshadows. they over rated the rod and thus tips busted. additionally, the first run had a blem in the manufacturing process and more popped. since then, they have corrected that blank. lamiglas factory arra's used to be built be eyeing down the black to find the straightest line and build like that. rods seem to come back busted more often. since then they spine there rods and then build. lamiglas has comfirmed less breakage on their arra's since this. whether or not is has anything to do w/ that or correcting the blems, who knows, but it is a positive thing to hear.

last year lamiglas came out w/ the 1204 - new blank, which is a 10' model of their 1084 essentially. same action. i am not fond of either rod. the arras got their reputation for being powerful, moderately fast action (not fast like the 1084 and 1204). i've built many arra's and have had only one person pop a rod. it seems to be due to a freak accident vs a blem. the 2 blanks i hear more praise about in this line up are the 1322's and 1205's.

i wish i had a true measure of how many of the breakages were due to overpowering the rods or lifting fish.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Saltheart

Lifting fish is a big no no . I see people do it a lot though. Its one thing to lift a fish with a $29 ugly stick but doing it with a $300 to $400 rod is crazy.

I have had a 1205 for the canal for 5 years and its still fine. Its been very abused but no breaks.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote