Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
FISHING_FOOL

I think this is really good law but my question is how is it going to enforced? If I'm holding my phone and using the GPS or checking the weather how will the police know that is what I am doing and not texting?? They can't pull you over and ask for your phone so I'm at a loss for how they are going to deal with this.
FISHING_FOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Fishoholic

I only text at stop lights because if I do it while I'm driving I might spill my beer and I won't have a free hand to change the radio station or program my gps
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishoholic View Post
I only text at stop lights because if I do it while I'm driving I might spill my beer and I won't have a free hand to change the radio station or program my gps
Stop lights are the best. When I'm going fishing straight from work I use them to change into my waders and look in the back seat for the plugs I want to swap into my bag for the trip. If you see an F-150 with a big hair %$$ in the window and a rod on top of it at say hi! Sorry, no s-b sticker. I'm too stealthy for that.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
Stop lights are the best. When I'm going fishing straight from work I use them to change into my waders and look in the back seat for the plugs I want to swap into my bag for the trip. If you see an F-150 with a big hair %$$ in the window and a rod on top of it at say hi! Sorry, no s-b sticker. I'm too stealthy for that.
Funny!!! Sorry...had to use em'!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

I do still think that the working and texting crowd is responding to the need to do it to keep up.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Sea Dangles

I text with my kids,they always respond which is not the case with a call. They don't even have ringtones for a call.Next thing you know the typewriter will become obsolete and we won't have to get up to change the channel on the television.Maybe some folks,like my Dad,will soon join this fad they call texting.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Work can wait.....please. What in your line of work is that important Luds??? If it is that important.....can't ya pull over and deal with it? I personally think the "Work" angle is just an excuse and I am betting the majority of your texts are personal in nature?? Fishing?? The Wife??? Just a guess? Even if its not an excuse I have said it before....safety first above all else....most certainly above work! That family of 4 in the car you kill would think so???

Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Work can wait.....please. What in your line of work is that important Luds??? If it is that important.....can't ya pull over and deal with it? I personally think the "Work" angle is just an excuse and I am betting the majority of your texts are personal in nature?? Fishing?? The Wife??? Just a guess? Even if its not an excuse I have said it before....safety first above all else....most certainly above work! That family of 4 in the car you kill would think so???
Fortunately I don't have a job where I'm on call 24/7 so it's not an issue for me but it's a little different for someone in the IT world or in a sr. leadership role. Turn your phone off everyday for your commute home and see what happens. Your jobs going bye bye. What would prompt you to pull over since the suggestion was that your phone should be off? I'm not saying it's right, it's just how it is. People that drive poorly because their chatting with their friends or texting are be idiotic but I just don't see it quite the same way for people that are working. It's not good but I feel like to a certain extent they are doing what they have to do. For me I work from home as much as possible to avoid any unecessary face to face contact with humans so I'm able I rarely have to worry about taking a business call while driving. Some folks have no choice other than to find another job which seems to be a little difficult right now. Again, texting/tallking about work in the car is not a part of my life but I see why it is for many people and I won't point a finger at them.

All my texts are fishing related or sexual, mostly both!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
MarkB

I was driving home from fishing last night, pulled up to an intersection, and waited for the guy opposite me to take the right of way. He sits there. Then I get a good look - his hand is to his head holding a phone.

Can't talk and drive at the same time, so he decided to stop driving at the stop sign and finish talking. This is why I can't carry a gun.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

My wife and I have our text messaging blocked. I kept getting gross pictures of fat naked women from my friends. Plus my fingers are so fat everything comes out misspelled.

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Rockfish9

VOICEMAIL..... turn the phone off while you drive...the world will not end if you dont get the message until you arrive... if work was that important you should have slept there....

I'm now driving 2010 pickup because some moron playing with their cell phone drove into the side of my 04 two weeks ago...

I've been cut off and rear ended because of cell phone use... dont tell me it is not a distraction...and it's not just teen agers...

BTW... I dont text...PERIOD...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I'm now driving 2010 pickup because some moron playing with their cell phone drove into the side of my 04 two weeks ago...
SWEET...You got a new tuck

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Why do they create laws for laws that already exist. Is texting while driving not just another form of "Driving to Endanger"?

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
VOICEMAIL..... turn the phone off while you drive...the world will not end if you dont get the message until you arrive... if work was that important you should have slept there....
The world may not end but your job might and I'm sure some would sleep in their offices. I think this kind of points to another reason people do it. They don't want to have to do it when they get home so they can spend time with their families. It's a question whether you want to impact drive time vs. family time.

Sorry about your driving misfortune. Hopefully all it impacted was your vehicle.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

settle down bigfish. you should have put this in the grumpy old farts forum. you should run for political office. another law and another step for government to have more control over people. i would imagine people will just be more discrete texting in cars now making it difficult for cops to spot you.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I should send a text to Bigfish right now

if I can figure out how to

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by american spirit View Post
settle down bigfish. you should have put this in the grumpy old farts forum. you should run for political office. another law and another step for government to have more control over people. i would imagine people will just be more discrete texting in cars now making it difficult for cops to spot you.
This is not about control over people....its about safety! I am guessing you are a texting man Shocker??

Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
Raven

Exclamation

Quote:

i am in this group....

my texting feature with Verizon wireless
was disabled
when i purchased the phones
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
Sea Dangles

Quote:
VOICEMAIL.....

Said the man who used to shun computers
BTW...I don't text and drive...but I don't use the pony express either...

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote