Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Al Gore and global warming

Like many sportsmen, I have a concern for the health of our environment. Before my kids were born, I spent more time on the water, and more time in the woods (hiking and photography), then most.

That being said, it's unbelievable to me that ANYONE can listen to Al Gore on this subject. He has made millions of dollars from his books and movies, and if we listen to him and impose cap and trade, he might become the world's first trillionaire (he bought a huge stake in the exchange that would trade carbon credits).

That being said, how can ANYONE take anything he says seriously? All those liberals who claimed that Bush/Cheney only invaded Iraq so that their Halliburton shares would increase in value, all those folks dismiss Gore's obvious conflict of interest here?

Michael Savage is a conservative radio host who I never listen to, he's too abrasive for my taste. But he now referes to Al Gore as "Al Goreleoni" (rhymes with Coreleoni from the Godfather), which caused me to crack up.

Finally, let's not forget that Al Gore's house, at one time, had the 3rd largest electric bill in all of Tennessee, and he flies on a private jet. So if he's right, and we all did what he did, we'd be in big trouble.

What am I missing? How has Gore managed to pull this off?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim:
Two things.

1. You must listen to Savae occasionally, as his book title and one of his catch phrase, is your catch phrase

2. Among scientists Al Gore is not the focal point of climate change, the SCIENCE is. He's a bit like Sarah Palin in that the left fixates on here; the right loves to fixate on Gore.

I could give a flying #^&#^&#^&#^& what Al Gore does, or does not do. does some of what he does make him a hypocrite? absolutely. I'm no Gore apologist. As far as him making a fortune off cap and trade; he is also taking a big risk if it doesn't move forward in away that favors him, no?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I'm agreeing with Dad F on this one.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Jim:
Two things.

1. You must listen to Savae occasionally, as his book title and one of his catch phrase, is your catch phrase

2. Among scientists Al Gore is not the focal point of climate change, the SCIENCE is. He's a bit like Sarah Palin in that the left fixates on here; the right loves to fixate on Gore.

I could give a flying #^&#^&#^&#^& what Al Gore does, or does not do. does some of what he does make him a hypocrite? absolutely. I'm no Gore apologist. As far as him making a fortune off cap and trade; he is also taking a big risk if it doesn't move forward in away that favors him, no?
I have never listened to him, don't know when he's on, don't know what station he's on, could not tell you the titles of any of his books. That catch phrase we share is something I came up with based on my own observations, such as the observation I made here.

"he is also taking a big risk if it doesn't move forward in away that favors him, no?"

No. The exchange he owns a huge share of makes money today. It would make way more money if cap and trade were imposed. Plus, he has made a fortune on his books and movies and speaking engagements, so no, there'e not a whole lot of risk there.

You say Gore is not the focal point? His book sales make me question that.

I didn't ask if he was the focal point. I asked why liberals aren't NEARLY as skeptical about his motives with this issue, as they were with Bush/Cheney in Iraq. I don't know that anyone can prove that Bush/Cheney personally profited from Iraq, but Gore has sure profited from the global warming hype. I don't know if anyone can prove that Bush didn't genuinely believe there were WMDs in Iraq. But Gore's lifestyle would make any rational person question whether or not he believes what he's saying.

To be aware of Gore's lifestyle, and to also believe he cares about the environment, is, well, symptomatic of a mental disorder. How else can you call Gore the hero of this movement, when his environmental footprint dwarfs that of everyone else?

I don't need Michael Savage to tell me that liberalism is a mental disorder. Liberals make that crystal clear by endorsing a political agenda that insists that Osama Bin Laden deserves to live, but not the unborn baby in my wife's belly. They make it crystal clear by suggesting that massive government entitlements are the way to prosperity, despite what's happening to European economies as I type this. If that's not deranged, I just don't know what is.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-03-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
buckman

He sure doesn't help the cause!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	global-warming-al-gore.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	44285  
Old 02-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Raven

well if nothing else he may have paved the way for us as a society to live beneath the ground in subterainian homes instead of on top of the EARTH.

i HAVE NEVER READ A THING ABOUT HIM OR LISTENED TO A SPEECH OR WATCHED HIS MOVIES...

Do i believe climate change is upon us....absolutely ..is it man made ?
doubtful , but Nature knows how to balance the equilibrium with the right amount of forestation to open areas and is the greatest teacher of all , Words spoken by Jesus in Fact.... not that i'm a Jesus freak
Just saying
Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Liberals make that crystal clear by endorsing a political agenda that insists that Osama Bin Laden deserves to live, but not the unborn baby in my wife's belly.
Sorry Jim.
this right turn in your response just negated any chance of my answering it with anything logical.

Good luck with your forthcoming baby and future attempts at running for office someday.

Bryan

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 02-03-2011 at 03:48 PM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Sorry Jim.
this right turn in your response just negated any chance of my answering it with anything logical.

Good luck with your forthcoming baby and future attempts at running for office someday.

Bryan
You've insinuated (here and elsewhere) that I only call liberalism a mental disorder because I'm regurgitating talking points from Michael Savage. I respond by pointing out one of the cornerstones of liberal doctrine, one which to me is utterly indefensible.

My response, I feel, is pretty much on point. I notice that instead of trying to explain that part of the liberal agenda, you chose to end the debate.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

I'm not an Al Gore lover,,,but I'm keeping an open mind on the warming because of things I've read.

#1 Cains Quest snowmobile race canceled last year because weather to warm to cross lakes and rivers in Labrador

#2 Two ice burgs the size of Manhattan broke off up near Greenland somewhere and are drifting south and should reach the Grand Banks by this coming August.
#3 Northern water temps have changed causing caplen(bait) and cod fish(food) problems.
I'm just keeping an open mind,thats all
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
I'm not an Al Gore lover,,,but I'm keeping an open mind on the warming because of things I've read.

#1 Cains Quest snowmobile race canceled last year because weather to warm to cross lakes and rivers in Labrador

#2 Two ice burgs the size of Manhattan broke off up near Greenland somewhere and are drifting south and should reach the Grand Banks by this coming August.
#3 Northern water temps have changed causing caplen(bait) and cod fish(food) problems.
I'm just keeping an open mind,thats all
I agree with you 100%. I was just questioning why liberals don't question Al Gore's credibility on this issue, given that (1) his lifestyle is about as environmentally UNfriendly as you can get, and (2) he is making gazillions of dollars off of the hype.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
scottw

35 zoo animals freeze to death in northern Mexico(AP) – 1 day ago

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — Thirty-five animals at a zoo in the northern Mexico state of Chihuahua have frozen to death during the region's coldest weather in six decades.

Serengeti Zoo owner Alberto Hernandez says 14 parrots, 13 serpents, five iguanas, two crocodiles and a capuchin monkey died. He said Saturday that power failures cut off electrical heating at the zoo in the town of Aldama.

Temperatures have dropped to 9 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 13 Celsius) in the area, the coldest weather in 60 years.

Power outages have affected much of northern Mexico, forcing factories and businesses to close. Dozens of people are in shelters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	al-gore-flamethrower1.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	44370  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
35 zoo animals freeze to death in northern Mexico(AP) – 1 day ago

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — Thirty-five animals at a zoo in the northern Mexico state of Chihuahua have frozen to death during the region's coldest weather in six decades.

Serengeti Zoo owner Alberto Hernandez says 14 parrots, 13 serpents, five iguanas, two crocodiles and a capuchin monkey died. He said Saturday that power failures cut off electrical heating at the zoo in the town of Aldama.

Temperatures have dropped to 9 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 13 Celsius) in the area, the coldest weather in 60 years.

Power outages have affected much of northern Mexico, forcing factories and businesses to close. Dozens of people are in shelters.
Posting individual occurrences of below average temperatures is very scientific of you.

What, no mention of how it was warmer in Alaska this week than it was in Dallas?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Posting individual occurrences of below average temperatures is very scientific of you.

What, no mention of how it was warmer in Alaska this week than it was in Dallas?
why would I do that?...Alaska is a very large state(where the current temps range from 39 above to 29 below) and Dallas is a city...you are aware of that right?

the temps.(this week?)...you know that today is Monday right?...anyway, the Alaska temps are not unprecendeted but the temps in northern Mexico appear to be for at least the last 60 years when a previous bout of global warming(because there can be no other explanation) apparently caused a cold spell...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
scottw

February 2011 highs and lows
Updated 21h 3m

All temperature information is from the National Weather Service. Locations of each day's highs and lows are shown on the large USA TODAY newspaper weather page map. Temperatures are in degrees Fahrenheit.
For more information:

February 7

•High:

•Lows: -29 at Northway and Nuiqsut, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: -15 at Thief River Falls, Minn., and at Crosby and Stanley, N.D.) as of 8 a.m. ET

February 6

•Highs: 84 at Kona and Hilo, Hawaii, and at Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood, Fla.

•Lows: -28 at Chicken, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: -11 at West Yellowstone, Mont.)

February 5

•High: 87 at Melbourne, Fla.

•Lows: -28 at Chicken, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: -12 at Berlin, N.H.)

February 4

•High: 84 at Plant City, Fla.

•Lows: -28 at Bettles, Alaska (contiguous 48 states: -23 at Berlin, N.H.)

February 3

•High: 85 at Fort Myers, Fla.

•Low: -33 at Craig, Colo.

February 2

•High: 85 at Fort Pierce, Fla.

•Low: -48 at Walden, Colo.

February 1

•Highs: 83 at Honolulu, Hawaii, and Fort Myers, Fla.

•Lows: -43 at Chinook and Opheim, Mont
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Raven

good evidence

Crabs moving to Antarctic waters to FEAST

King crabs invade Antarctic waters - Technology & science - Science - DiscoveryNews.com - msnbc.com
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
scottw

we could send the Deadliest Catch guys down to put a stop to this

Why Antarctica Isn't Melting Much -- Yet
Scientists Explain Complex Climate Patterns

86 comments By FRED PEARCE ABC
Jan. 9, 2010

Antarctica is warming, but not melting anything like as much as expected. In fact, during the continent's summer this time last year, there was less melting than at any time in the 30 years that we have had reliable satellite measurements of the region.

The apparent contradiction is explained by the seasonal pattern of warming, say two glaciologists writing in Eos, the weekly newspaper of the American Geophysical Union.

The continent's winters and springs have warmed most, but it is still too cold in these seasons for anything to melt. Melting in Antarctica happens almost entirely in the summers, which have warmed very little, say Andrew Monaghan of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, and Marco Tedesco of the City College of New York.

John King of the British Antarctic Survey, based in Cambridge, warned against misinterpreting the lack of summer warming.

"Climate change denialists will use this work as evidence that Antarctica is not warming, despite the authors saying their works show no such thing," he said.

I love that..."climate change denialists"

Last edited by scottw; 02-08-2011 at 10:35 AM..
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
Raven

where do they think all this extra precipitation is coming from............
the desert?

come on over and deny my snow
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
scottw

sounds like a job for the Deadliest Catch Fleet