Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

all done

serioulsy, I've got nuthin.
So I cant stand O, think he is an empty suit and every criticism of him prior to being elected has proven to be true.
but......would things be better if McCain was president? Im not convinced.
I see no one in the Repub race that even interests me. I heard Perry on an intervirew (I know nothing about him) and he was asked specifics and all he did was spout anti-fed talking points. He couldnt provide one solution to anything.

I have no hope for anything to improve in this country. I've lost faith in the system.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

We was just talkin about mccain about an hour ago. Wondering where we would have been. I think better off...even with palin who everyone looks at as a ditz. I think they might have surprised people.

Right now if I had to pick I'd go Romney. No matter what we're #^&#^&#^&#^&ed for the next 5 years right now.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Right now if I had to pick I'd go Romney. No matter what we're #^&#^&#^&#^&ed for the next 5 years right now.
you're in good company...

Former President Jimmy Carter wants to see Mitt Romney win the Republican nomination and run against President Obama next November.

"I hope he wins," Carter said of the former Massachusetts governor in a Thursday night interview with MSNBC. "I'm not taking a position, but I would be very pleased to see him win the Republican nomination."

Old 09-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I feel about the same way. I hope he wins. Probably not though because O'bama is going to spend spend spend. He'll spend his way either into the poorhouse or right back into the white house..

Remember all the phone calls for the election last time...

Can you imagine what it's going to be like this time? Cut your line now while you can
Old 09-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
We was just talkin about mccain about an hour ago. Wondering where we would have been. I think better off...even with palin who everyone looks at as a ditz. I think they might have surprised people.
Wonder how it woulda been different? The current tax policies under Obama are the same as under Bush. McCain probably wouldn't have changed them. McCain may not have done the stimulus, but the economy may have gone in the shirter. Health care reform is one place, but it hasn't been implemented and any economic impacts are in the future. Iraq and Afghanistan probably the same. My guess is McCain woulda stayed out of Libya. He woulda got Bin Laden. Wall street reform would have been stricter under McCain-Cantwell. Maybe no cash for clunkers, but the economy picked up for awhile back then. He was for TARP before the Palin crowd got on his case. Only real difference is the letter after his name.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

THe last ten years have 8 under W and 2 under Obama, ya think he did it all in 24 months?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Fly Rod

Regardless I'm going Republican.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

No matter who owns the Executive Office. As long as Congress remains gridlocked we are just losers.

Anybody hear the NPR story this morning about how they outsourced the prefab steel for the Bay Bridge to China?

California Turns To China For New Bay Bridge : NPR
Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Wonder how it woulda been different? The current tax policies under Obama are the same as under Bush. McCain probably wouldn't have changed them. McCain may not have done the stimulus, but the economy may have gone in the shirter. Health care reform is one place, but it hasn't been implemented and any economic impacts are in the future. Iraq and Afghanistan probably the same. My guess is McCain woulda stayed out of Libya. He woulda got Bin Laden. Wall street reform would have been stricter under McCain-Cantwell. Maybe no cash for clunkers, but the economy picked up for awhile back then. He was for TARP before the Palin crowd got on his case. Only real difference is the letter after his name.
Generally agree...not to mention the natural disasters, Japan nuke meltdown and Arab Spring. McCain presidency and the economy would still be struggling to get traction.

Perhaps he could have cut taxes even further, but given the situation this would have just been more spending. Deficit would probably be about the same as Obama's stimulus.

-spence
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
serioulsy, I've got nuthin.
So I cant stand O, think he is an empty suit and every criticism of him prior to being elected has proven to be true.
but......would things be better if McCain was president? Im not convinced.
I see no one in the Repub race that even interests me. I heard Perry on an intervirew (I know nothing about him) and he was asked specifics and all he did was spout anti-fed talking points. He couldnt provide one solution to anything.

I have no hope for anything to improve in this country. I've lost faith in the system.
Hey . . . buck up Jimmy. Help is around the corner. All that is needed is the Congress, the POTUS, and the SCOTUS, to act responsibly. It is good that the system is so out of whack. This is what was needed to show our leaders that they have been irresponsible. They will now finally understand that reckless spending and massive debt and deficits are wrong. They will surely, now, see that the super wealthy must be held in check and not be allowed to keep so much that their influence will be irresistible. And it will be obvious that the old system is no longer useful. They might all realize that it is necessary to have a constitutional convention to create a new Constitution which will reflect our and the world's current needs. They will surely realize that the inequities of the old world will only continue to breed the racism, poverty, hate, violence, and disorder that cripples us now. It is good that you have lost faith in the system. It will be necessary that a solid majority have also lost faith. This will facilitate the transition to a new system . . . to a fundamental transformation of an unjust, war-mongering system to one of equality and peace. As you have pointed out, it doesn't matter who gets "elected." The economy will be the same. They are all interchangeable names, empty suits that can be of no interest to you. Might as well keep Obama. That would make the transformation easier, smoother . . . right?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Hurl
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I've lost faith in the system.
The system is the greatest the world has ever seen and it will
continue to be so. It's the lame brain politicians who are running it
now who are the problem.
So far I haven't seen anybody currently throwing their hat in that
would make much of a difference.
Imho, we need some no nonsense, get it done servants to get back on
track. Christie and Juliani come to mind.

" Choose Life "
Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Hey . . . buck up Jimmy. Help is around the corner. All that is needed is the Congress, the POTUS, and the SCOTUS, to act responsibly. It is good that the system is so out of whack. This is what was needed to show our leaders that they have been irresponsible. They will now finally understand that reckless spending and massive debt and deficits are wrong. They will surely, now, see that the super wealthy must be held in check and not be allowed to keep so much that their influence will be irresistible. And it will be obvious that the old system is no longer useful. They might all realize that it is necessary to have a constitutional convention to create a new Constitution which will reflect our and the world's current needs. They will surely realize that the inequities of the old world will only continue to breed the racism, poverty, hate, violence, and disorder that cripples us now. It is good that you have lost faith in the system. It will be necessary that a solid majority have also lost faith. This will facilitate the transition to a new system . . . to a fundamental transformation of an unjust, war-mongering system to one of equality and peace. As you have pointed out, it doesn't matter who gets "elected." The economy will be the same. They are all interchangeable names, empty suits that can be of no interest to you. Might as well keep Obama. That would make the transformation easier, smoother . . . right?
Gotta love chum

-spence
Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
ahhh, hope and change.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Nebe

Term limits in congress and the senate...
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

The Ayn Rand Institute held its annual "Atlas Shrugged Revolution" dinner Thursday night in New York City.

In attendance were a number of financial luminaries and hedge fund managers, including Peter Schiff of EuroPacific Capital, John Tamny of RealClearMarkets, Dmitry Balyasny of Balyasny Asset Management and Scott Schweighauser of Aurora Investment Management.

The setting was the tony St. Regis Hotel on Fifth Avenue but there was nothing pleasant about the primary message coming from both the speakers and those in attendance: Western civilization is heading for hell and a hand basket, just like Rand predicted in her seminal novel.

In the accompanying video, ARI president Yaron Brook tells Henry why Rand's devotees believe the global economy is "heading for collapse."

In a nutshell, Brook believes politicians and policymakers have "no solutions" for the problems facing the globe.

"The fundamental problem," Brook says, is with the philosophical belief our society has that governments can solve problems and more rules and regulations are the answer to our economic ailments.

Barring "real structural change" to our economic underpinnings toward self-reliance and true laissez-faire capitalism, "we can buy time, but we can't change the outcome," Brook says.

And what will that outcome be? A repeat of the Great Depression in the 'best'-case scenario, he says. And the worse-case? A repeat of the fall of the Roman Empire.

"I don't expect that, I think we'll rebound," Brook says. "But we have to remember that…civilizations in human history have declined, they've disappeared."

Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
The Ayn Rand Institute held its annual "Atlas Shrugged Revolution" dinner Thursday night in New York City.

In attendance were a number of financial luminaries and hedge fund managers, including Peter Schiff of EuroPacific Capital, John Tamny of RealClearMarkets, Dmitry Balyasny of Balyasny Asset Management and Scott Schweighauser of Aurora Investment Management.

The setting was the tony St. Regis Hotel on Fifth Avenue but there was nothing pleasant about the primary message coming from both the speakers and those in attendance: Western civilization is heading for hell and a hand basket, just like Rand predicted in her seminal novel.

In the accompanying video, ARI president Yaron Brook tells Henry why Rand's devotees believe the global economy is "heading for collapse."

In a nutshell, Brook believes politicians and policymakers have "no solutions" for the problems facing the globe.

"The fundamental problem," Brook says, is with the philosophical belief our society has that governments can solve problems and more rules and regulations are the answer to our economic ailments.

Barring "real structural change" to our economic underpinnings toward self-reliance and true laissez-faire capitalism, "we can buy time, but we can't change the outcome," Brook says.

And what will that outcome be? A repeat of the Great Depression in the 'best'-case scenario, he says. And the worse-case? A repeat of the fall of the Roman Empire.

"I don't expect that, I think we'll rebound," Brook says. "But we have to remember that…civilizations in human history have declined, they've disappeared."
Ayn Rand was a true believer in the political genius of the Founding Fathers and the Constitution they created. Her and the Ayn Rand Institute's negative view of the direction we are heading is largely due to our divergence from Constitutional governance and departure from the philosophical, intellectual, and economic principles on which it and our country were founded.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Ayn Rand was a true believer in the political genius of the Founding Fathers and the Constitution they created. Her and the Ayn Rand Institute's negative view of the direction we are heading is largely due to our divergence from Constitutional governance and departure from the philosophical, intellectual, and economic principles on which it and our country were founded.
uh, yeah, I got that. Hence the red highlights.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
uh, yeah, I got that. Hence the red highlights.
If you got that, then why are you "all done"? Why do you "got nuthin"? Support the politicians who come closest to what you "got." None are perfect. It's a slow crawl back to Constitutional government, but it will be even slower or even less possible if the believers give up.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
Karl F

Romney??

be careful what you wish for...

Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #21
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Romney, same old same old politician through and through.

Ya don't get what ya see with this guy.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I had to bump this thread.
Here we are 4 months later. The best repub party can come up with is

- an rich stiff who pays 15% in taxes and invests funds offshore (I dont fault him for this but come on! The dems will cream him on this!!!) The guy has no charisma.

or
- a disgraced speaker of the house who is known to have a temper, cheats on his wifes and has a different idea every minute!

Seriously? This is the best this country can do? All this repub momentum via the tea party, all the anti obama sentiment and this is what you got? What a joke.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
striperman36
Old Guy

Gingrich - Palin will do well
Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
Nebe

Quote:

- an rich stiff who pays 15% in taxes and invests funds offshore (I dont fault him for this but come on! The dems will cream him on this!!!) The guy has no charisma.

or
- a disgraced speaker of the house who is known to have a temper, cheats on his wifes and has a different idea every minute!

Seriously? This is the best this country can do? All this repub momentum via the tea party, all the anti obama sentiment and this is what you got? What a joke.
Agreed. It's all a joke.. On all sides
Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #25
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Agreed. It's all a joke.. On all sides
X2
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
PaulS

and with the nastiness of the primary the pres. race will be even worse.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
detbuch

An election based on personalities is by definition a joke. No candidate is perfect. And each voter has a different definition of perfect. And personality is more myth than reality. And different people have different perceptions of myth so view a given personality differently. All elections in the past have had this flaw. My myth versus your myth and so little paid attention to the principles of our government. This has led to a degradation of those principles so that most don't even know what they are. If there is a difference in governmental principle between our candidates, that is what matters and has always mattered regardless of the flaws of those candidates.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #28
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
and with the nastiness of the primary the pres. race will be even worse.
i doubt it. the repubs have done such a good job discrediting their own candidates that BO should just be able to waltz back in without too much of a fight IMHO.

such a shame. if only Ron Paul wasn't such a whack job on some topics and presented a little better....

i bent my wookie
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #29
Piscator

I’d love to see the skeletons in the closet of the “perceived” best presidents (and leaders for that matter) in history. Talk about a side show……..

At least you can't knock Romney for managing his money well (maybe he can manage our tax money the same way). If I were him, I would do it too. If you had that money and financial advisers he has I bet every one of us would do it. Who was that guy that is a Senator from MA and registered his luxury yacht boat in another state......

I’m sick of all of it. The media too. All the media wants to do is uncover something bad and never spend any time on the good. Maybe there is no good or maybe our society gets a hard-on for dirt digging. Anyone who runs gets the witch-hunt and unfortunately the media decides what and who they want to hunt. Everyone (except me ) has dirt about something in their present or past.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:

or

I'm not a big Romney defender but his entire income is investment income, he's paying the going rate for capital gains, I also think a lot of Americans have investments "off shore" in foreign investment through their portfolios so I hope you don't fault him, he says he getting no unusual tax advantages from those investments and all of his investments have been in a blind trust since 2002/3....I guess you just fault him for being a rich stiff with no charisma?

speaking of which...Jonh F. Kerry and his Sugar Mommy were paying 12% in taxes......didn't stop all of the democrats for voting for him now did it???? He thought he'd won...... is he complaining that the rich need to pay more? cause I think we've learned that he's profieted nicely thanks to Congress exempting themselves from the insider trading laws.....shame.........I think he's still bitter...along with Gore...what's he worth now and how exactly has he earned it??? and I wonder what he's paying in taxes?...I know he wasn't big on charitable contributions...well, except with other peoples money...

at least Rom can tell you how he earned the money that is producing his investment income

why don't we refer to Clinton as....disgraced former President of the United States who is known to lie, cheats perpetually on his wife and takes credit for ideas that he co-opted from someone else out of political expedience? good think he's not running again?...right???...probably never get elected...although...I think we knew all or most of those things about him before he was elected...twice

not a Newt defender either but I think it's just hilarious after John Edwards, Clinton, the Kennedys, Client #9 and on and on....did we ever get an in-depth interview with Teddy's ex...right before a campaign...oh the stories she might have told...we did get Newt's mom...remember that...with Connie Chung I think?

Last edited by scottw; 01-21-2012 at 06:55 AM..