Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Lie #2

“Under my administration, 7 million Americans have come off of food stamps.”

About 4.2 million people (not 7 million) have stopped receiving food stamps since February 2017.
The number of people collecting benefits has been declining since fiscal year 2014.
I doubt that Trump just made up a fictitious number. Different sources have stated different numbers. Whatever the actual number is, or which source you want to believe, it is a significantly large number.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #3

“Since my election, the net worth of the bottom half of wage earners has increased by 47 percent — three times faster than the increase for the top 1 percent.”

Net worth for the bottom half has gone up, but it was from such a low base that it’s pretty silly to call it a boom. People in the bottom half have essentially no wealth — just 1.6 percent of the nation’s wealth — as debts cancel out whatever assets they might have. The top 5 percent hold more than 70 percent of all net worth in the United States.
You don't even describe it as a lie. You just seem to use it as an occasion to complain about inequities in percentages of total wealth.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #33
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Math and statistics don't lie and that is what makes so many of Trumps claims flat out wrong, lies, grossly inaccurate or as you are fond of saying on almost any debate involving a questionable statement from Trump; it's just a matter of opinion. Funny thing about math 2+2 is always going to be 4.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Madam, when I have anything to learn from you about anything, especially class, it will be a downgrade kind of day for sure.

One of those pages told the story of a military family and the sacrifices they made, and celebrated their reunion with their hero dad. Nancy ripped it in half, and said there wasn't truth to it. She said it was courteous to rip it.

First Trump lied & said, "No casualties."

Then Trump lied & said, "headaches."

He DGAF about our troops, except as props for his rallies & speeches.

One of those pages told of the anguish of two parents whose daughter was so selfless, she went to Syria to help people, and her thinks was getting kidnapped, raped, and murdered by ISIS. Nancy ripped it in half, and said there wasn't truth to it. She said it was courteous to rip it.

"ISIS is resurgent inside Syria & has greater ability to mount terrorist attacks against West as a result of Trump’s decision to hastily withdraw American troops from war-torn country last month."

Trump has enabled ISIS, not defeated it. It is a phoenix he allowed to rise again.

One of those pages told of the story of a 100 year-old former Tuskagee airman, and his great-great-grandson who likes science. Nancy ripped it in half, and said there wasn't truth to it. She said it was courteous to rip it.

The irony that a 100-year-old former Tuskegee airman, born into Jim Crow segregation, kkk terrorism, and the brutalization, murder, and lynching of Black people, being honored for his service, had to witness a vile, anti-Black, racist receive the nation’s highest civilian honor.

One of those pages told of the story of a single black mom, raising a daughter, who wasn't able to get into what they thought was the best school for her. Trump told her that she's got her scholarship. Nancy ripped it in half, and said there wasn't truth to it. She said it was courteous to rip it.

Something is wrong in America when a man who has disparaged Black people for 30 years, called the nation’s first Black president, “Barack the magic Negro” and his wife a “gorilla in heels,” gets the Presidential Medal of Freedom and wypipo are arguing that he deserved it.

One of those pages told of the story of a black man whose life was ruined by drugs, but who was able to pull himself up and turn his life around. Nancy ripped it in half, and said there wasn't truth to it. She said it was courteous to rip it.

I think it's demented to take those pages telling those stories, ripping them in half, declaring there's no truth to them, and saying it was the "courteous thing to do." It's the act of a demented, bitter, warped old whore.

You go ahead and defend it.

I cannot wait until the American people decide what they think of that, in November. I bet you aren't as excited. In fact, you're scared sh*tless, and you're right to be.
You certainly love Reality TV, trouble is it's not real for more than that moment in the sun.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #4

“Thanks to our bold regulatory reduction campaign, the United States has become the number one producer of oil and natural gas in the world, by far.”

The United States has led the world in natural gas production since 2009. Crude oil production has been increasing rapidly since 2010. The United States was the top producer in 2013. In September 2018, the United States once again passed both Russia and Saudi Arabia to become the largest global crude oil producer. But the energy revolution he takes credit for began under Obama.
You have not pointed out a lie (e.g. "the United States once again passed both Russia and Saudi Arabia to become the largest global crude oil producer."), you just disagree that Trump should get credit for it.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #36
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #5

“With the tremendous progress we have made over the past three years, America is now energy independent.”

The United States continues to import energy. “In 2018, the United States imported about 9.94 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum from nearly 90 countries,” according to an Energy Information Agency report, with 43 percent coming from Canada and 16 percent from Persian Gulf countries.
We export more than we import. Ergo, we are technically independent. That we still import has to do with various economic and political reasons.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #37
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #6

“The USMCA will create nearly 100,000 new high-paying American auto jobs.”

This is an invented figure. The USITC report said the agreement would create about 28,000 jobs in the auto sector.
So who invented Trump's figure. Are you saying that he just decided to invent it. And that he doesn't believe it to be true? It is a projected number so is not verifiable. An opinion probably theorized by some economic adviser. Apparently, there is an agreement that it will create a significant number of auto jobs, among other jobs and economic benefits.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #38
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #7

“To safeguard American liberty, we have invested a record-breaking $2.2 trillion in the United States military.”

Floridaman is just talking about three years of defense funding added up together. On an inflation-adjusted basis, not one year of Floridaman’s defense budgets has exceeded the high point in 2010 under Obama.
He didn't say it was a one year budget. It's more like you're lying.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Math and statistics don't lie and that is what makes so many of Trumps claims flat out wrong, lies, grossly inaccurate or as you are fond of saying on almost any debate involving a questionable statement from Trump; it's just a matter of opinion. Funny thing about math 2+2 is always going to be 4.
Almost all of these things are estimates, different people come up with different numbers. Those in the minority party always say these statistics cited at the SOTU are wrong. Always.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #40
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #8

“We will always protect patients with preexisting conditions.”

In an ongoing court case, the Floridaman administration is supporting a total repeal of the Affordable Care Act — including its guarantee that patients can’t be denied coverage for preexisting conditions. Republicans in Congress tried for years to repeal the whole law. Floridaman has not presented a plan to cover the gaps in case the court challenge is successful. Moreover, he has promoted short-term plans (which he touted in his speech) that are not required to cover preexisting conditions.
Debatable, but a stretch to call it a lie. More of a political promise (most of which, by most politicians, can be characterized as lies--as in the lies told to pass Obamacare) to create a different approach, other than Obamacare, which would include pre-existing conditions. And that would have to be done by Congress.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #41
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #9

“In the Senate, we have confirmed a record number of 187 new federal judges.”

It’s not a record. Floridaman has a long way to go to have appointed the most federal judges. Reagan has the record, with 383, followed by Bill Clinton with 378 and then Obama with 329. Through Jan. 18, 2020, 187 judges nominated by Floridaman have been confirmed by the Senate.
Your numbers for Reagan, Clinton, and Obama, were for two full terms. The 187 number (which Trump did not come up with on his own) is referred to as a record for this point in his administration. Again, he is parroting published stats, not concocting some number he made up and which he doesn't even believe.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #42
detbuch

Quote:
Lie #10

“Three years ago, the barbarians of ISIS held over 20,000 square miles of territory in Iraq and Syria. Today, the ISIS territorial caliphate has been 100 percent destroyed, and the founder and leader of ISIS — the bloodthirsty killer known as Al‑Baghdadi — is dead!”

The U.S. military warned, in a report issued the day Trump spoke, that ISIS remained a dangerous threat and the killing of Baghdadi did not degrade the group’s capabilities. “USCENTCOM told the DoD OIG [Office of the Inspector General] that following the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the group’s capabilities in Syria remained the same,” the report said. “USCENTCOM said that ISIS remained cohesive, with an intact command and control structure, urban clandestine networks, and an insurgent presence in much of rural Syria.”
He didn't say ISIS was totally destroyed. He said that its territorial caliphate was 100% destroyed. That could mean various things regarding its geographic ability to project power. Mostly his opinion, with his usual ability to exaggerate. But it is certain that ISIS was very SEVERELY damaged and its momentum reversed--much more so than was happening before.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
You certainly love Reality TV, trouble is it's not real for more than that moment in the sun.
My post was about Pelosi saying not one page had truth in it, and that it was courteous to rip it up. You pivot to all of Trumps shortcomings.

You're a bore, and you're a pussy.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

You just keep believing in what Floridaman claims, he might deserve a new name soon with some of his policies "Orange Obama"

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #45
Sea Dangles

Quote:
You just keep believing in what Floridaman claims, he might deserve a new name soon with some of his policies "Orange Obama"
You also deserve a new name...”bitchslapped boy”.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #46
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump turned the SOTU address into a game/reality TV show, complete with prizes. I'm surprised that he didn't throw loaves of bread (or paper towel rolls) out to his audience.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #47
detbuch

Quote:
Statistics, as Mark Twain said, are pliable. Pete F demonstrated that in the 10 "lies."

I suspect the 15,000 lies Trump has supposedly told are a result of much plying--a mish-mash concoction of twisted stats, Trump's errors, mistakes, opinions, exaggerations . . . I also suspect that if anyone was frivolous enough to search the number of such "lies" that Schumer, Pelosi, Schiff, Obama, CNN, MSNBC, Chris Matthews, Don Lemon, Any Cuomo, etc., applying the same standard applied to Trump of what is a lie, that all of those folks and entities, and just about any other politician, would have told many thousands of such "lies."

Last edited by detbuch; 02-05-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Old 02-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #48
detbuch

Quote:
Trump turned the SOTU address into a game/reality TV show, complete with prizes. I'm surprised that he didn't throw loaves of bread (or paper towel rolls) out to his audience.
The SOTU has been that for years. The Founders never intended for anything other than that the President "shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” It wasn't meant to be a formal, yearly, presentation. And certainly not the political circus that it has been for many decades. Trump is just following the tradition that has been created by our self-serving politicians.

Considering that, Trump did an exemplary SOTU.

Of course, it is necessary for you to describe it as something like a Democrat pork show with sops for the pigs.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #49
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
You also deserve a new name...”bitchslapped boy”.
Coming from the master of the immature insult?

It took the height deprived imbecile a day to decide that if he was not a moron, I must have insulted his mother and then his head exploded.
And even then he only got insulted because the Trumplicans egged him on.
He's definitely sitting in the low chair watching the world whiz by over his head.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #50
scottw

Quote:

they all do it...quit whining
Old 02-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
First Trump lied & said, "No casualties."
Actually, as you surely must know, at the time he said "no casualties" he was stating what was told to him by our military. And at that time there was no evidence of trauma. So he did not lie.

But, of course, it is necessary for your narrative to lie about it.

Last edited by detbuch; 02-05-2020 at 08:59 PM..
Old 02-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #52
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Statistics, as Mark Twain said, are pliable. Pete F demonstrated that in the 10 "lies."

I suspect the 15,000 lies Trump has supposedly told are a result of much plying--a mish-mash concoction of twisted stats, Trump's errors, mistakes, opinions, exaggerations . . . I also suspect that if anyone was frivolous enough to search the number of such "lies" that Schumer, Pelosi, Schiff, Obama, CNN, MSNBC, Chris Matthews, Don Lemon, Any Cuomo, etc., applying the same standard of what is a lie, that all of those folks and entities, and just about any other politician, would have told many thousands of such "lies."
Nobody spins as good as you
Old 02-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #53
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Actually, as you surely must know, at the time he said "no casualties" he was stating was told to him by our military. And at that time there was no evidence of trauma. So he did not lie.

But, of course, it is necessary for your narrative to lie about it.
Now tell us how he didn't know Stormy or that Cohen was paying her off and that the Access Hollywood tape was fake.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #54
detbuch

Quote:
Nobody spins as good as you
My spin is so good that you are not able to show how it is wrong.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #55
detbuch

Quote:
Now tell us how he didn't know Stormy or that Cohen was paying her off and that the Access Hollywood tape was fake.
Why? I'm satisfied with pointing out that your list of 10 Trump lies was a lie--I would say that your calling them lies was merely wrong, but since you often call Trump's mistakes lies, I think turnabout is fair and so apply your standard to you.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Why? I'm satisfied with pointing out that your list of 10 Trump lies was a lie--I would say that your calling them lies was wrong, but since you often call Trump's mistakes lies, I think it is fair to apply your standard to you.
As usual your only rebuttal was conjecture, supposition and inference.
AKA spin

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #57
detbuch

Quote:
As usual your only rebuttal was conjecture, supposition and inference.
AKA spin
I actually rebutted your spin. You didn't rebut what you call my spin.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #58
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Coming from the master of the immature insult?

It took the height deprived imbecile a day to decide that if he was not a moron, I must have insulted his mother and then his head exploded.
And even then he only got insulted because the Trumplicans egged him on.
He's definitely sitting in the low chair watching the world whiz by over his head.
Thank you for sharing that Bitchslapped boy.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #59
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
My spin is so good that you are not able to show how it is wrong.
Pete might engage you in one of your circular debates because he has either not learned the spin away brings you back to the beginning where black and white are shades of gray and mere opinions. I have learned it’s pointless because it just goes on until either the person you debate with gets tired of the game or it is back to square one. The beauty of a game is you can choose not to play, but spin on brother.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #60
detbuch

Quote:
Pete might engage you in one of your circular debates because he has either not learned the spin away brings you back to the beginning where black and white are shades of gray and mere opinions. I have learned it’s pointless because it just goes on until either the person you debate with gets tired of the game or it is back to square one. The beauty of a game is you can choose not to play, but spin on brother.
And yet you choose to play (somehow under the pretense that you're not playing), but even so, you are unable to point out how I was wrong.

I might also point out that this post is your way of playing YOUR game. Just say stuff.