Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 12-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Question Compound Bow Question

I have decided to start bow hunting again next year. I have an older compound bow (15 years old) 60lb Bear Alaskan. The younger guys at work say that I should get a new one and that it will make a differance a big differance. The bow is in pristine shape and I think the one I have is going to work out fine. Kind of like old reels are as good as the new ones provided thay are maintained.

What do you bow hunters think, worth the money for new or not and why?

Thanks.

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
thortum

The great Fred Bear hunted only with re-curves and I think longbows and killed many trophy animals. They're always making improvement in the gear, but that doesn't mean you can't have a successful hunt with what you have now. I say-use the equipment that you know.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
thortum

The great Fred Bear hunted only with re-curves and I think longbows and killed many trophy animals. They're always making improvement in the gear, but that doesn't mean you can't have a successful hunt with what you have now. I say-use the equipment that you know.
thortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Goose

15 years huh? a lot has changed in that time. My first bow was about 10 yrs ago and it was very heavy very slow and very quite but it killed deer... So what, it's still heavy and slow. Today's technology is awesome and you don't need to spend a fortune, even if you buy an older bow say late 90's its still 10 times better than a 15 year old bow. Also consider the let-off of 70% to 80% there's no comparison to an older bow. It is not only smart to upgrade but also ethical. Every year bow companies are coming out with better and better sights, rests strings etc. etc. Go for it you won't regret it. By the way I'm upgrading next year
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
stripadan
stripadan

Was going through the same dilemma myself. Used to shoot a lot in late 80's, early 90's. Have a Darton target bow and Browning hunting bow. I love them both, lots of good shooting. But like Goose said, the technology of the new bows is sooo far advanced from even ten years ago, there is no comparison.

Arrow speeds when I was shooting a lot was 250-275, nothing over 300 fps. The new bows are up to nearly 350 feet per second. That combined with arrow technology makes new equipment so much more efficient at killing that if you don't mind spending a little, you get way more in return.

I'll be buying new at tax time and getting familiar with it over the summer. So many more places to hunt locally with the bow. The biggest problem is taking time away from the fish from August on. Good luck with the decision.
stripadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Upgrade. Check Craigs list. I got mine from there for pennies on the dollar. Guy fell out of a tree and said he is finished hunting. When I saw him I believed him. He gave me all of his stuff. Was going to take up gardening he said. He couldnt get rid of the stuff fast enough. Too bad because the mounts he had on his wall should be hanging in Cabelas. He was an unbelievable wealth of info when I talked to him. The technology today compared to even 5 years ago is amazing. Word of caution. Change the strings when/if you buy used or if you decide to keep your old bow. Good luck.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Thnaks guys I appreciate the info. I am going to look around for an upgrade and see what is out there. I would ratehr upgrade but want to get it before summer so I can practice.

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
skigill

If you shoot one of the new bows- 80% letoff, smooth draw, major speed, you wont want to pick up your old bow again.
skigill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
GunnySniper
Master of Ceremonies

I found out the hard way, that a bow that sat for a while shows no signs of defect, may not be safe.
I did all the annual maintenance, shot a lot of Deer with it, then spent 3 years hunting differant game, with an M40A1.
I got back to lagoon just in time for Bow season opener. Checked out on 30 days leave and hit the bush. Got up in the tree stand and 20 minutes later an 8 point comes strolling in. Drew back and POW!
The string snaps and the limb shatters. It was a brand new string well waxed when I put it up.
Some older bows are impossible to get replacement parts for including strings. most of the Bow companies out there have been sold multiple times over the last few years. Have it checked out before you draw it back again.
I bought a new PSE 2 years ago and am in awe of this bows performance. I'm using Carbons with 85 grain razors, and am getting 325 FPS and putting arrows completely through large healthy Deer at 40 yards.
My point, upgrade!
GunnySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
outnumbered
Registered Papa

OK I listened to the advise and gave in just had a Bear Lights Out - set at 65 LB (want to work my way up to 70 but figured it will be easier if I start at 65) -30" draw - 80% let off- trigger release, hostage rest, tru glo sight, quiver, arrows, broads, target heads, and hard case delivered today and I can't wait to shoot it. Chronographed at 279 FPS.

I realize its not a top of the line bow but it will work fine for the hunting I will be doing. Now to practice in between fishing and hopefully I get to drop a deer or maybe even a turkey this fall.

Thanks Guys,

Kevin

Quote:
Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Just finished shooting for the first time. First one in the red then the next four grouped all in the yellow within 2 inches. What a differance new technology makes.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
MotoXcowboy

Heres a quick video I made this weekend. 30 40 and 60yd shots.

Im shooting a Darton maverick extreme 30" dl / 60# dw. Its got a cobra sight and trophy taker drop-away rest, 250gr carbon express maxima shafts with 75gr broadheads. on a good day I can hit the high 290's in the 300 point 20yrd game. Its dead accurate and shoots around 280fps.

MotoXcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote