Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Fly Rod

You want your company to pay for you to go to the gym. Do you go to a gym now?

For the twelve grand that the company pays towards my health care I get more then my monies worth. I wish they would pick up my 20.00 dollar co-pay I could go get one of them juicy burgers.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
You want your company to pay for you to go to the gym. Do you go to a gym now?

For the twelve grand that the company pays towards my health care I get more then my monies worth. I wish they would pick up my 20.00 dollar co-pay I could go get one of them juicy burgers.
I want my HMO to pay for my gym membership - with proof of activity. It's a dual incentive. I get healthier, feel better and save some money. The insurance company pays less because I'm healthier and at an extremely reduced risk due to activity.

I have always been an advocate that the morbidly obese, smokers, proven alcoholics with liver cirrhosis, heroin users with Hep or HIV similarly self-inflicted health issues should *not* be covered by insurance.

No different than being sent to the hospital for alcohol poisoning for drinking too much - which would not be covered by my insurance.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Fly Rod

You just want to watch them young ladies sweat.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
You just want to watch them young ladies sweat.
Half the reason I sometimes go to the gym "just to do some Cardio".

...alright, maybe more than half.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
scottw

waaaa.....I want someone else to pay for my healthclub membership...are you kidding me? will this also be included in free universal healthcare?

"What I ask, is for how much we spend, why aren't we more healthy as a group?"
-spence

this is nonsensical....spending more on healthcare should make us more healthy as a group? noooooo....lifestyle choices, genetics and environment affect the overall healthiness of a group but not spending on healthcare...it's expensive because it is advanced and it is good and you can try but you can't nanny state legislate whether or not an individual is going to be a unhealthy or not....you can pay for the best health insurance/ healthcare in the world and he'll still be unhealthy, Ted Kennedy...what are you going to do tax him, force him into a government mandated exercise program, with a government mandated diet monitored by government fat agents? actually, it wouldn't surprise me....

It's idiotic that my company won't bother to sponsor 25 dollars a month for a gym membership

it's idiotic for you to expect someone else to pick up the tab...
Old 09-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
waaaa.....I want someone else to pay for my healthclub membership...are you kidding me? will this also be included in free universal healthcare?
Actually, many company plans offer this as an incentive to change your lifestyle. If private companies are offering perks like that, then it must make some business sense......

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Actually, many company plans offer this as an incentive to change your lifestyle. If private companies are offering perks like that, then it must make some business sense......
It's been proven that companies that promote health lifestyles have lower health care costs and higher productivity in the office.

With all the money companies hemorrhage on training, professional development and other programs that are often an excuse to get out of the office, what's $25 for the health of the employees? I pay more than that just for my guys to take lunch on a professional development day.