Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-19-2020, 04:21 PM   #121
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Well Debarr did say “The first duty of government is to protect the safety of its citizens”
Just not from viruses
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Yes, and in our federated system, we have several units of government. They are called states. The federal government is not supposed to usurp the power of the states.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #122
Pete F.
Canceled

COVID-19 is quite clearly a threat to national security and pandemics were identified as such since the Bush administration.
Covita failed in his duty to protect the American people
Bigly
Old 10-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #123
Jim in CT

Quote:
COVID-19 is quite clearly a threat to national security and pandemics were identified as such since the Bush administration.
Covita failed in his duty to protect the American people
Bigly
Trump did one meaningful thing back in January, the travel restriction. The democrats all said it was an hysterical overreaction. Pelosi tried to get the House to bass a bill overturning the travel restrictions. Biden called it hysterical and xenophobic, which is a fairly strong indicator that Biden wouldn't even have done that.

Then in late February, you have Pelosi and DIblasio telling their constituents that it was safe to go out in crowded public places.

Also interesting if you look at the states with the highest death rates, and look at the political leadership of those states. I guess you never bothered to look at it that way, because sure as heck you won't like the results.

If you want to say Trump did a poor job, I think one can make that case. But there's not a lot of logic to supporting Biden, who clearly would have done even less than Trump did, if you listen to what Biden said then, which is what matters.

Can't have it both ways, big guy.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #124
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Trump did one meaningful thing back in January, the travel restriction. The democrats all said it was an hysterical overreaction. Pelosi tried to get the House to bass a bill overturning the travel restrictions. Biden called it hysterical and xenophobic, which is a fairly strong indicator that Biden wouldn't even have done that.

Then in late February, you have Pelosi and DIblasio telling their constituents that it was safe to go out in crowded public places.

Also interesting if you look at the states with the highest death rates, and look at the political leadership of those states. I guess you never bothered to look at it that way, because sure as heck you won't like the results.

If you want to say Trump did a poor job, I think one can make that case. But there's not a lot of logic to supporting Biden, who clearly would have done even less than Trump did, if you listen to what Biden said then, which is what matters.

Can't have it both ways, big guy.
You’ve been watching too much Faux

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #125
Jim in CT

Quote:
You’ve been watching too much Faux
what did i say that was false, exactly?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #126
detbuch

Quote:
what did i say that was false, exactly?
He can't tell you what was false with what you say. He also doesn't seem to be able to specifically, verifiably, say how Trump "failed in his duty to protect the American people." He just keeps repeating it in various forms. Repeating it is supposedly proof that it is true.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #127
Pete F.
Canceled

220K dead
Millions infected
The infections are rising at the highest rate in months and Covita claims he’s doing the best in the world
Keep believing
Old 10-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #128
detbuch

Quote:
220K dead
Millions infected
The infections are rising at the highest rate in months and Covita claims he’s doing the best in the world
Keep believing
What am I supposed to keep believing? What do you keep believing? That Trump or Biden are supposed to solve covid. And given the nature of this country--government structure, politics, cultural heritage, diverse contradictions to that heritage. Unusual lack of unity in purpose or belief. Virtually a country of various countries. And this virulent political dissent and obstruction against the opposition party programs that we have come to in the last couple of decades. And, more importantly, our dependence on our bureaucracy to provide the answers and actions to do most things including pandemics. The real initial failure in testing was our CDC's inability to start a testing regime. It actually took Trump to fix that. But precious time was wasted.

From all this, you expect a Trump or a Biden could solve covid. And don't bring up this phantom THE science. There is no proven one scientific view on all aspects of the virus, nor on the best way to conquer it.

And no, I don't put stock in what Trump says about how well we're doing. But I don't see this massive failure that you claim. And I'm optimistic that we are going to get through it and are doing well with creating vaccines, drugs, and protocols. I think it was good to open up the economy. That probably saved more lives in other ways that are not considered by those who focus with strict blinders on killing the virus.

You seem to view the presidency as some kind of dictatorship or our system some sort of Progressive European thing. With all the factors of what and who we are as a country, we may be doing quite well.

But just keep counting. That's so meaningful and helpful.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-19-2020 at 10:41 PM..
Old 10-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #129
Jim in CT

Quote:
220K dead
Millions infected
Keep believing
dodged my question. what did i say that was incorrect? what did i say that’s a foxnews myth?

can you be specific?
Old 10-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #130
Pete F.
Canceled

Covita’s brilliant closing argument: #^&#^&#^&#^& Science. 15 days to the end of a Moronic Sociopath.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #131
Jim in CT

Quote:
Covita’s brilliant closing argument: #^&#^&#^&#^& Science. 15 days to the end of a Moronic Sociopath.
Any special reason why you keep dodging, Pete?
Old 10-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #132
scottw

Quote:
what if he wins pete?
Old 10-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #133
PaulS

Quote:
dodged my question. what did i say that was incorrect? what did i say that’s a foxnews myth?

can you be specific?
You blamed the states w/the highest death rates on their Dem. leaders as if there was nothing else that caused those high death rates.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #134
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
You blamed the states w/the highest death rates on their Dem. leaders as if there was nothing else that caused those high death rates.
Of course there are other factors, especially in a place like NY, where so many tourists flock. I'd be a lunatic to deny that.

How about the way Cuomo handled the nursing home situation? effective leadership, or a self-inflicted disaster?

Paul, Trump did one meaningful thing back in January. All the democrats, including Biden, said it was a stupid overreaction. Now those same exact people are saying he didn't do enough. That's called "wanting to have it both ways".

And Pelosi and DiBlasio were on TV in February, encouraging their constituents to go out to crowded public places. Can you comment on that? Or can you only criticize Republicans?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #135
PaulS

Everyone (other than Trump) has learned a lot since early on - and will continue to learn new things. You go on the best science based info. you have. Trump ignores science (and frequently does the opposite).
Old 10-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #136
Jim in CT

Quote:
Everyone (other than Trump) has learned a lot since early on - and will continue to learn new things. You go on the best science based info. you have. Trump ignores science (and frequently does the opposite).
Oh, I see...

You allow democrats the benefit of a learning curve.

"go on the best science based info. you have"

So how is it, back in January, that Trump saw the need for travel restrictions, but the democrats all missed it?

And back in January/February when Cuomo was forcing nursing homes to admit infected residents, most people knew at that time, that the disease was especially dangerous for seniors. Yet Cuomo forced nursing homes to admit covid-positive residents, and prohibited nursing homes from allowing healthy people to visit loved ones. You're saying with a straight face, that this was based on the best science available at the time.

Liberal=good, conservative=bad, no exceptions, not ever.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #137
scottw

Quote:

Everyone (other than Trump) has learned a lot since early on
he said wearing masks is patriotic(especially the trump masks)
Old 10-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #138
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump said the virus would disappear when the number of reported new daily cases was in the hundreds.

He’s still saying it with the number in the tens of thousands — and rising.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #139
detbuch

Quote:
Trump said the virus would disappear when the number of reported new daily cases was in the hundreds.

He’s still saying it with the number in the tens of thousands — and rising.
Did he give a date certain? This is really important?
Old 10-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #140
Pete F.
Canceled

Back to Barrett
The GOP is kicking and screaming about how they are allowed to confirm Barrett 7 days before an election so they're gonna do it, and they can fear monger about court packing. But I'm not seeing any conservative offer an actual articulation for not just waiting a few weeks.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #141
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Oh, I see...

"go on the best science based info. you have"

So how is it, back in January, that Trump saw the need for travel restrictions, but the democrats all missed it?

And back in January/February when Cuomo was forcing nursing homes to admit infected residents, most people knew at that time, that the disease was especially dangerous for seniors. Yet Cuomo forced nursing homes to admit covid-positive residents, and prohibited nursing homes from allowing healthy people to visit loved ones. You're saying with a straight face, that this was based on the best science available at the time.

Liberal=good, conservative=bad, no exceptions, not ever.
You always come back to the famous “partial” travel ban, boy are you stuck on that, consider it did nothing to prevent Covid coming in from Europe or from US citizens allowed back in from China with little testing or quarantine. Like a screen door on a submarine, but you hang your MAGA hat on it with pride.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #142
spence

Quote:
Democratic areas were hardest hit first, this isn't rocket science.

Quote:
The Democrats weren't in a position to enact any restrictions nor were they privy to the same intelligence Trump was which was far more serious than he was letting on.

Quote:
And back in January/February when Cuomo was forcing nursing homes to admit infected residents, most people knew at that time, that the disease was especially dangerous for seniors. Yet Cuomo forced nursing homes to admit covid-positive residents, and prohibited nursing homes from allowing healthy people to visit loved ones.
This isn't true. NY did not force nursing homes to accept sick patients, some of them mistakenly thought that was the directive. The investigation into this showed the majority of deaths occurred because of sick workers causing infections compounded by unsafe operating practices rather than sick occupants being moved back in from hospitals.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #143
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

The Democrats weren't in a position to enact any restrictions nor were they privy to the same intelligence Trump was which was far more serious than he was letting on.

This isn't true. NY did not force nursing homes to accept sick patients, some of them mistakenly thought that was the directive. The investigation into this showed the majority of deaths occurred because of sick workers causing infections compounded by unsafe operating practices rather than sick occupants being moved back in from hospitals.
this is hilarious...
Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #144
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
You always come back to the famous “partial” travel ban, boy are you stuck on that, consider it did nothing to prevent Covid coming in from Europe or from US citizens allowed back in from China with little testing or quarantine. Like a screen door on a submarine, but you hang your MAGA hat on it with pride.
"You always come back to the famous “partial” travel ban, boy are you stuck on that"

It's th eone thing Trump did. It the democrats said it was an overreaction.

"it did nothing to prevent Covid coming in from Europe or from US citizens allowed back in from China with little testing or quarantine"

I'm not saying the travel restrictions helped or didn't help. I'm saying he implemented that ban early, and all the elected democrats and everyone in the media, said it was an overreaction. You had very prominent democrats - Pelosi and Diblasio - encouraging people to go to crowded public places in late February. You have Biden saying Trumps travel restrictions were "hysterical" and "xenophobic". If they get a pass, then on what basis do you attack Trump? Trump was more conservative than they were. If Trump is guilty of not doing enough (and maybe that's fair), then how can they not be more guilty? They were saying into late February, that the virus wasn't serious enough to warrant even Trumps travle restrictions. Again, you can't have it both ways. But that's what you're trying to do.

I'm very reluctant to give anyone grades on this issue, I just don't know enough. But it's absurd to give Cuomo and Pelosi and Biden a pass for what they said and did, and simultaneously say Trump should have done much more. There's no logic to that, that's pure partisan bullsh*t, and it's what every one of you is doing.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #145
Jim in CT

Quote:

"The Democrats weren't in a position to enact any restrictions "

They weren't in a position in January to implement the lockdowns that they eventually implemented in March? What changed?

"nor were they privy to the same intelligence Trump was which was far more serious than he was letting on"

The feds were keeping secrets from the states. That's what you're saying? And only Trump had the federal intelligence, not any democrats in congress? The democrat-controlled house, they didn't get briefings?

You're not backing into whatever scenario paints the democrats in the best possible light, no sir.

Every assumption you make, is in favor of liberals. Trump had the intelligence, but somehow congress didn't. Trump conspired with Russia, but the Bidens didn't sell influence for money.

It' snot Cuomos fault that NY was hit early and hard. Forcing nursing homes to admit sick residents? Beyond stupid.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #146
spence

Quote:
I'm not saying the travel restrictions helped or didn't help. I'm saying he implemented that ban early, and all the elected democrats and everyone in the media, said it was an overreaction.
I don't remember any prominent Democrat criticizing the travel restrictions. It was the recommendation by HHS and many airlines were already canceling flights.

Quote:
You have Biden saying Trumps travel restrictions were "hysterical" and "xenophobic".
He never said this Jim.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #147
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don't remember any prominent Democrat criticizing the travel restrictions. It was the recommendation by HHS and many airlines were already canceling flights.

He never said this Jim.
"I don't remember any prominent Democrat criticizing the travel restrictions."

You're lying, or amazingly ignorant. Biden said it was hysterical and xenophobic. Pelosi introduced a bill in the House to undo the travel restrictions, even Chris Cuomo pans her for that.

Where in Gods name do you get your news?
Old 10-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #148
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
"You always come back to the famous “partial” travel ban, boy are you stuck on that"

It's th eone thing Trump did. It the democrats said it was an overreaction.

"it did nothing to prevent Covid coming in from Europe or from US citizens allowed back in from China with little testing or quarantine"

I'm not saying the travel restrictions helped or didn't help. I'm saying he implemented that ban early, and all the elected democrats and everyone in the media, said it was an overreaction. You had very prominent democrats - Pelosi and Diblasio - encouraging people to go to crowded public places in late February. You have Biden saying Trumps travel restrictions were "hysterical" and "xenophobic". If they get a pass, then on what basis do you attack Trump? Trump was more conservative than they were. If Trump is guilty of not doing enough (and maybe that's fair), then how can they not be more guilty? They were saying into late February, that the virus wasn't serious enough to warrant even Trumps travle restrictions. Again, you can't have it both ways. But that's what you're trying to do.

I'm very reluctant to give anyone grades on this issue, I just don't know enough. But it's absurd to give Cuomo and Pelosi and Biden a pass for what they said and did, and simultaneously say Trump should have done much more. There's no logic to that, that's pure partisan bullsh*t, and it's what every one of you is doing.
Jim since it’s the World Series opener today let’s go with a baseball analogy. It would be like watching your starting pitcher fan the first three batters he faces, then giving up three walks with grand slam in the third, back to back home runs in a five run forth, then putting three on to start the fifth and still not pulling him. Jim the manager keeps saying to the team hey remember how good he was in the first two innings we could still win with him, let’s make this team great again.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #149
Jim in CT

Quote:
Back to Barrett
The GOP is kicking and screaming about how they are allowed to confirm Barrett 7 days before an election so they're gonna do it, and they can fear monger about court packing. But I'm not seeing any conservative offer an actual articulation for not just waiting a few weeks.
here’s the articulation. the people
elected trump potus and gave sente control to the gop through the end of this year. is that going to fast for you?
Old 10-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #150
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Jim since it’s the World Series opener today let’s go with a baseball analogy. It would be like watching your starting pitcher fan the first three batters he faces, then giving up three walks with grand slam in the third, back to back home runs in a five run forth, then putting three on to start the fifth and still not pulling him. Jim the manager keeps saying to the team hey remember how good he was in the first two innings we could still win with him, let’s make this team great again.
again, you’re completely ignoring what the democrats did.

in your analogy, the democrats were in favor of leaving the starting pitcher in after the three walks, then after the home
run and only then, are they acting like the manager should have known to take him out.

there weren’t any orominent democrats in january and february, calling for more severe reaction.

we closed schools and shut the economy down. almost everyone is wearing masks outside. what more do you want? what more should we have done??

we bent the curve, which everyone said wasn’t guaranteed. no hospitals were overwhelmed, out of respirators. unemployment and the stock market coming back. m

way too many dead, but what were democrats suggesting in january, which trump ignored, which would
have helped? can you name
anything at all?