Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
SC is gaining population, CT is one of the very few states losing population. So there’s that. Bc of an aging pop. who doesn't have school age children. They don't want to pay lower taxes.

Paul, are you up for answering a question? here goes.

SC has some godawful places. But there are also thriving suburbs with good schools, a good quality life, and a cheap cost of
living.

How many places does CT have like that? How many places does CT have that offer a good quality of
life with the SC price tag? Zero?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I think the quality of life is better in Ct. Even w/the high taxes. If taxes are your thing - move to SC. If there are other things you want to add into the equation look at rankings of different categories and you'll see Ct ranks much higher than SC.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #32
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I love the the typical northeastern liberal arrogant snobbery that burns brightly when talking about other areas of the country particularly the south, cracks me up
yet when Trump says something similar you ignore it.

Impressive hypocrisy to go along with your snarkyness.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #33
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
yet when Trump says something similar you ignore it.
no I don't
Old 08-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #34
PaulS

Quote:
so if you earn below a certain wage or have a certain job you are living a "crappy life"???..that's pretty crappy and arrogant of you
SO you didn't answer my question. At what point does your snarkyness impact your personal life.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #35
PaulS

Quote:
no I don't
sure you do
Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #36
scottw

Quote:
sure you do
I don't dwell on his every word like the lunatics here
Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #37
spence

Quote:
you’re wrong on the math. before salt taxes were capped, those in blue ( high tax) states had larger federal income tax deductions than someone in a red ( low tax states). so if i live in SC, i paid a higher federal tax rate then someone exactly like me who lives in CT. The people in low tax states were subsidizing people in high tax states. it’s not fair to them.
This makes absolutely no sense at all.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #38
PaulS

Quote:
I don't dwell on his every word like the lunatics here
what do you call it when you respond to most posts with just snarky responses? Isn't that lunacy?

I know you have much more intelligence then someone else who constantly responds with childish insults and doesn't add anything.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
my daughter is at school in South Carolina, she loves it there, will go to graduate school there or NC and is not coming back...every time I visit I can't get over how friendly and happy everyone that you meet down there is...it's a stark contrast to the Northeast...and that's everyone from the panhandlers to the folks at the grocery stores and convenience stores to the hotels, airports and on.....I love the the typical northeastern liberal arrogant snobbery that burns brightly when talking about other areas of the country particularly the south, cracks me up
where does she go to school?

the part of SC that’s a suburb of Charlotte, is awesome. We looked at Fort Mill SC, awesome schools, easy commute to Charlotte, insanely low taxes. nothing like that in CT at that cost, but even close.

CT has advantages, mostly from its proximity to Manhattan, not because of its state government, which is in the final stages of
killing the state off.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think the quality of life is better in Ct. Even w/the high taxes. If taxes are your thing - move to SC. If there are other things you want to add into the equation look at rankings of different categories and you'll see Ct ranks much higher than SC.
“they don’t want to pay lower taxes”.

then why aren’t they moving to CA or Long Island?

you dodged my question completely so i’ll ask again.

please tell me where i can live in CT and enjoy the low taxes and quality of
life available in SOME towns
if SC? Please point me to one such place?

SC has more dumps than CT. But it has something that CT does not have, nor will ever have. Booming suburbs near a real city ( Charlotte) with insanely low taxes.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This makes absolutely no sense at all.
a vague insult from YOU? get outta here.

before the salt caps, two
identical people ( same income, mortgage, other deductions, similar in every way except state taxes) paid very different federal income tax rates. because the person in a high tax rate got a large federal deduction for his high state taxes, not available to the person in a low tax state. so the person in the low tax state paid
much more in federal income tax, than they’d pay ( all other things being equal) in a high tax state.

it’s pretty simple and obvious, take off the tin foil hat for a second.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #42
PaulS

I did answer the question. I said if taxes are your thing, move to SC. Taxes are lower there. I'll still take Ct over SC for the other things.

You do know Charlotte is liberal. Everyone earns their $ in the blue states where the wages are higher and retires down south where it is warm and taxes are less but wants to live in the most liberal parts of those states.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #43
scottw

Quote:
where does she go to school?

the part of SC that’s a suburb of Charlotte, is awesome. We looked at Fort Mill SC, awesome schools, easy commute to Charlotte, insanely low taxes. nothing like that in CT at that cost, but even close.

CT has advantages, mostly from its proximity to Manhattan, not because of its state government, which is in the final stages of
killing the state off.
USC...taking her back down next week... she's spent some time in Charlotte and loves it, she's considering Wake Forest for graduate...she's been to Charleston a bunch

I'd move down there in a heartbeat if I didn't have two more here in hs
Old 08-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #44
scottw

Quote:

You do know Charlotte is liberal. Everyone earns their $ in the blue states where the wages are higher and retires down south where it is warm and taxes are less but wants to live in the most liberal parts of those states.
did you know that there are red areas of blue states and blue areas of red states?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

I imagine Jim will fit right in, North Carolina’s biggest city of Charlotte is also the second biggest Democratic stronghold in the state.
The chance someone you meet will identify as a Democrat is 89%, while the chance a resident will:

Be pro-choice is 65%
Be pro-environment is 50%
Be pro-gun control is 72%
Be pro-tax is 54%
Be religious is 44%

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #46
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

Be pro-tax

wtf
Old 08-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
I did answer the question. I said if taxes are your thing, move to SC. Taxes are lower there. I'll still take Ct over SC for the other things.

nope. i asked where i’m CT can live that’s as cheap as SC.

taxes aren’t my thing. what is my thing, is not overpaying by millions of dollars, for what i’m getting.

charlotte is liberal by southern standards. not by CT standards. i like Charlotte a lot. i’m
not a right wing zombie paul.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
nope. i asked where i’m CT can live that’s as cheap as SC.

taxes aren’t my thing. what is my thing, is not overpaying by millions of dollars, for what i’m getting.

charlotte is liberal by southern standards. not by CT standards. i like Charlotte a lot. i’m
not a right wing zombie paul.
You are a right wing zombie.

And I said if taxes are your thing SC is better for you than Ct. There are lots of things that CT ranks higher than SC. Low taxes isn't one of them.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
You are a right wing zombie.

And I said if taxes are your thing SC is better for you than Ct. There are lots of things that CT ranks higher than SC. Low taxes isn't one of them.
i’m pro gay marriage, anti death penalty, and in favor of gun control. big things to differ with the right on.

as i said, taxes aren’t my thing. avoiding getting ripped off is
my thing, avoiding paying more than is necessary, is my thing. SC proves you can offer a high quality of life for low taxes.

lots of things where in average, CT ranks higher. i’m
not talking about a random average place in SC, i’m talking about the charlotte suburbs where they can’t build $500k houses fast enough.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #50
scottw

Quote:

this is brilliant
Old 08-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #51
PaulS

Salaries are much higher in Ct also.

Average Salary in Charlotte, North Carolina
$54,937

What is the median household income in North Carolina?
$52,752
North Carolina Household Income. According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for North Carolina was $52,752 in 2017, the latest figures available. Compared to the median US household income, North Carolina median household income is $7,584 lower

Average Salary in Hartford, Connecticut
$67,720

What is the average household income in Connecticut?
$74,168

Connecticut Household Income. According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for Connecticut was $74,168 in 2017, the latest figures available. Compared to the median US household income, Connecticut median household income is $13,832 higher.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #52
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
USC...taking her back down next week... she's spent some time in Charlotte and loves it, she's considering Wake Forest for graduate...she's been to Charleston a bunch

I'd move down there in a heartbeat if I didn't have two more here in hs
That’s where my daughter just graduated from, beautiful school. Loved the area, loved the people, and loved the BBQ. She loved it down there.

If your daughter has any questions about the place, send me a PM, I’ll see if my daughter can answer them for her.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #53
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Salaries are much higher in Ct also.

Average Salary in Charlotte, North Carolina
$54,937

What is the median household income in North Carolina?
$52,752
North Carolina Household Income. According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for North Carolina was $52,752 in 2017, the latest figures available. Compared to the median US household income, North Carolina median household income is $7,584 lower

Average Salary in Hartford, Connecticut
$67,720

What is the average household income in Connecticut?
$74,168

Connecticut Household Income. According to the Census ACS 1-year survey, the median household income for Connecticut was $74,168 in 2017, the latest figures available. Compared to the median US household income, Connecticut median household income is $13,832 higher.
What’s the average home cost? I can get twice the home for half the money and pay a fourth of the property taxes.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #54
PaulS

Quote:
this is brilliant
This is snarky
Old 08-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #55
Sea Dangles

When my daughter was at college of Charleston it was always a great excuse to have a food weekend.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #56
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
What’s the average home cost? I can get twice the home for half the money and pay a fourth of the property taxes.
I don't know. You said you were considering it so let us know.

What is holding you back from moving? Are you eligible for a pension at your job?
Old 08-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
the average salary in CT has nothing to do with state politics. it’s because we have close beachfront to manhattan.

the problem with CT is that many people, especially successful people, can take their salary with them and work from SC. everyone at my company can do that.

So moving to SC doesn’t mean you’d suddenly be poor, or fat, or illiterate, or a born again christian. what you would see is the tax benefit.

when i looked at fort mill, no one had a southern accent. it was all people from new england who wanted to keep the same exact quality of life they were used to. they just didn’t want to overpay for that quality of life. turns out you don’t have to.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #58
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't know. You said you were considering it so let us know.

What is holding you back from moving? Are you eligible for a pension at your job?
Well I did say in the post you quoted that I can get twice the house for half the money...sooooo

I still have a few years til I can retire, I’m not that old

And I’ll be eligible for my pension in 5 years.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #59
spence

Quote:
a vague insult from YOU? get outta here.

before the salt caps, two
identical people ( same income, mortgage, other deductions, similar in every way except state taxes) paid very different federal income tax rates. because the person in a high tax rate got a large federal deduction for his high state taxes, not available to the person in a low tax state. so the person in the low tax state paid
much more in federal income tax, than they’d pay ( all other things being equal) in a high tax state.

it’s pretty simple and obvious, take off the tin foil hat for a second.
Depending on income the variation in the effective federal tax rate for individuals could very well be negligible. The big factor here you're omitting is that the states targeted by the GOP tax plan have significantly more wealthy people who pay a lot more in taxes. So the low tax states aren't subsidizing the high tax states, it's actually the other way around.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #60
PaulS

Quote:
Well I did say in the post you quoted that I can get twice the house for half the money...soooooand I can do that by moving about 5 miles further north

I still have a few years til I can retire, I’m not that old

And I’ll be eligible for my pension in 5 years.
So you will be one of those who makes their $ here in the NE and leaves for the lower taxed states. You enjoyed the higher salary and better school associated with the NE.