Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
TheLureWasher

Send a message via AIM to TheLureWasher
Primer and cheap paint

You guys that use paint from Michael's or AC Moore like apple barrel Craft paint, What kind of primer are you using. I understand that thinning is key with these paints. Just looking for good adhesion. Looking for more of a selection of colors than the basic createx colors.
TheLureWasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
Ryan560

I use the cheap paints as well. Rustoleum Painters touch primer is all I use. Some of the apple barrel paints your better off thinning with water instead of an airbrush medium. I use distilled water, but have used tap water in the past with no adhesion problems. I think the adhesion problems arise when paint is thinned too much..
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
TheLureWasher

Send a message via AIM to TheLureWasher
excellent! thank you very much!
TheLureWasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Eric Roach
Big E

If you happen to come across this color (Plaid/Folk Art "Metallic Peridot"), it might be worth the $2.00 for you to try. It's a great color to spray over olive-topped schemes.

You really need to fine-tune the thinning to get this metallic through the gun without making it too watery, but it really looks nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peridot.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	58213  
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Roach View Post
If you happen to come across this color (Plaid/Folk Art "Metallic Peridot"), it might be worth the $2.00 for you to try. It's a great color to spray over olive-topped schemes.

You really need to fine-tune the thinning to get this metallic through the gun without making it too watery, but it really looks nice.
This is a great color although I've had adhesion issues with it in past from thinning it too much. Almost the consistency of spackle in a cold basement.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
pbadad

I'll be honest guys, I tried craft paints and i must say , they don't shoot like createx. between the consistency of the thinning to clogging the tip .5mm or .35mm, I use 95% Createx. Purchase on Amazon realively inexpensive. Found Hobby lobby has an array of Createx colors. Use coupons 40%. I do have a few favorite Folkart colors I still use, but you need to pay attention to the nuances for a clean shoot. One thing, I picked up a Iwata Neo @ Hobby Lobby $42.00 w/coupon. Gravity feed. 2 cups. 3.5mm tip. Great gun. My blends look sweet. Reccommend this gun w/o breaking bank.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #7
Eric Roach
Big E

I switched to Polytranspar and Life Tone paints myself. They are lacquer-based taxidermy paints. I like their subtlety.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
lazzyone

I paint with delta cream coats. Thin with water and pledge future shine. The future shine is an acrylic product. I also take a take a piece of womens stockings and slip it on the inside of the paint cap to work as a screen, helping keep out anything that would clog up my gun. I use thinned down BIN primer.
lazzyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
stripermaineiac

2 things I've found to cause adhesion problems is body oils from my hands on plugs and not sanding my primer coat before I put any top colors on it. I wear tight fitting nytril gloves to help my dexterity in handling the plugs this keeps body oils like from rubbing sweaty eyebrows or itching my hair line off the plugs. These cause more problems than you thing with adhesion. as fine a spray as createx an other air gun paints are well it doesn't take a lot to upset the mix so to speak. Tight lines an hope this helps. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote